Substrain divergence in C3H inbred mice
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
To investigate substrain divergence in the highly inbred C3H strain, we studied the C3H/HeJ, C3H/HeJ//Bkl, C3H/He//Han, and C3H/HeJ//Hd strains. The Hd subline differed from the other three in its lower performance on a two-way active-avoidance learning task, larger infra- and intrapyramidal mossy fiber terminal fields, and rejection of skin grafts from other lines. There were no differences among the other three strains. This substrain divergence is explained by differences in animal husbandry techniques.
- Bailey, D. W. (1959). Rates of subline divergence in highly inbred strains of mice.J. Hered. 50:26–30.
- Bailey, D. W. (1978). Sources of subline divergence and their relative importance for sublines of six major inbred strains of mice. In Morse, H. C., III (ed.),Origins of Inbred Mice, Academic Press, New York, 1978, pp. 197–215.
- Buselmaier, W., Vierling, T., Balzereit, W., and Schwegler, H. (1981). Genetic analysis of avoidance learning by means of different psychological testing systems with inbred mice as model organisms.Psychol. Res. 43:317–333.
- Green, E. L. (1953). A skeletal difference between sublines of the C3H strain of mice.Science 117:81–82.
- Johnson, F. M., Aquadro, C. F., Skow, L. C., and Langley, C. H. (1985). Rapid mutations in mice?Science 230:1406–1407.
- Lavery, K. J., and Hay, D. A. (1984). electrophoretical, skeletal and behavioral divergence of two C3H substrains of mice.J. Hered. 75:171–174.
- Lienert, G. A. (1973).Verteilungsfreie Methoden in der Biostatistik, Anton Hain, Meisenheim am Glan.
- Schwegler, H., Lipp, H.-P., Van der Loos, H., and Buselmaier, W. (1981). Individual hippocampal mossy fiber distribution in mice correlates with two-way avoidance performance.Science 214:817–819.
- Schwegler, H., Crusio, W. E., Lipp, H.-P., and Heimrich, B. (1988). Water-maze learning in the mouse correlates with variation in hippocampal morphology.Behav. Genet. 18:153–165.
- Siegel, S. (1956).Nonparametric Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences, McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Staats, J. (1985). Standardized nomenclature for inbred strains of mice: Eighth listing.Cancer Res. 45:945–977.
- van Abeelen, J. H. F., and Hughes, R. N. (1986). A note on behavioral divergence between two substrains of DBA/2 inbred mice.Behav. Genet. 16:281–284.
- Substrain divergence in C3H inbred mice
Volume 18, Issue 6 , pp 671-674
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- C3H inbred strain
- two-way avoidance