Single-locus control of saccharin intake in BXD/Ty recombinant inbred (RI) mice: Some methodological implications for RI strain analysis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Thesac locus, with a major effect on saccharin preference, was discovered by Fuller (1974) in C57BL/6J (B6), DBA/2J (D2), and derived crosses, and is now supported in the BXD/Ty recombinant inbred (RI) series by a marked bimodal distribution in saccharin preference among 20 strains. The B6 allele led to increased saccharin preference compared to the D2 allele. Since the search for bimodal distributions reflecting major gene loci is an essential part of RI strain analysis, a new statistical method is proposed to test for bimodality, and comparisons are made to previously proposed methods. Another new RI method, quantitative trait loci (QTL) analysis, allows provisional detection and mapping of minor as well as major gene loci. Using this method as a screen, significant associations with saccharin preference were suggested with marker loci on portions of six chromosomes. One of these, theD12nyu1 locus on chromosome 12, was independently supported in a panel of standard (non-RI) inbred strains also tested for saccharin preference. It is unclear whether this reflects thesac locus.
- Belknap, J. K. (1990). Physical dependence induced by the voluntary consumption of morphine in inbred mice.Pharmacol. Biochem. Behav. 35:311–315.
- Belknap, J. K., and O'Toole, L. A. (1991). Studies of genetic differences in response to opioid drugs. In Harris, R. A., and Crabbe, J. C. (eds.),The Genetic Basic of Alcohol and Drug Actions, Plenum, New York.
- Bailey, D. W. (1978). Sources of subline divergence and their relative importance for sublines of six major inbred strains of mice. In Morse, H. C. (ed.),Origins of Inbred Mice, Academic Press, New York, p. 197–215.
- Bailey, D. W. (1981). Recombinant inbred strains and bilineal congenic strains. In Foster, H. L., Small, J. D., and Fox, J. G. (eds.),The Mouse in Biomedical Research, Vol. I., Academic Press, New York, p. 223–239.
- Chambers, J. M., Cleveland, W. S., Kleiner, B., and Tukey, P. A. (1983).Graphical Methods for Data Analysis, Duxbury Press, Boston.
- Crabbe, J. C., Kosobud, A., Young, E. R., and Janowsky, J. S. (1983). Polygenic and single-gene determination of responses to ethanol in BXD/Ty recombinant inbred mouse strains.Neurobehav. Toxicol. Teratol. 5:181–187.
- Crabbe, J. C., Phillips, T. J., Kosobud, A., and Belknap, J. K. (1990). Estimation of genetic correlation: Interpretation of experiments using selectively bred and inbred animals.Alcohol Clin. Exp. Res. 14:141–151.
- Davisson, M. T., and Roderick, T. H. (1989). Linkage map. In Lyon, M. F., and Searle, A. G. (eds.),Genetic Variants and Strains of the Laboratory Mouse, 2nd ed., Oxford University Press, Oxford, pp. 416–428.
- Fuller, J. L. (1974). Single-locus control of saccharin preference in mice.J. Hered. 65:33–36.
- Gora-Maslak, G., McClearn, G. E., Crabbe, J. C., Phillips, T. J., Belknap, J. K., and Plomin, R. (1991). Use of recombinant inbred strains to identify quantitative trait loci in pharmacogenetic research.Psychopharmacology 104:413–424.
- Green, M. C. (1989). Catalog of mutant genes and polymorphic loci. In Lyon, M. F., and Searle, A. G. (eds.).Genetic Variants and Strains of the Laboratory Mouse, 2nd ed., Oxford University Press, Oxford, pp. 12–403.
- Hartigan, J. A. (1975).Clustering Algorithms, J. Wiley & Sons, New York.
- Klein, T. W. (1978). Analysis of major gene effects using recombinant inbred strains and related congenic lines.Behav. Genet. 8:261–268.
- Knapp, S. J., Bridges, W. C., Jr., and Birkes, D. (1990). Mapping quantitative trait loci using molecular marker linkage maps.Theor. Appl. Genet. 79:585–592.
- Lander, E. S., and Botstein, D. (1989). Mapping mendalian factors underlying quantitative traints using RFLP linkage maps.Genetics 121:185–199.
- Lush, I. E. (1989). The genetics of tasting in mice. VI. Saccharin, acesulfame, dulcin and sucrose.Genet. Res. 53:95–99.
- McLearn, G. E. (1991). The tools of pharmacogenetics. In Harris, R. A., and Crabbe, J. C. (eds.),The Genetic Basis of Alcohol and Drug Actions, Plenum, New York.
- Phillips, T., Belknap, J. K., and Crabbe, J. C. (1991). Use of voluntary morphine consumption in recombinant inbred strains to access vulnerability to drug abuse at the genetic level.J. Addic. Dist. 10:29–44.
- Plomin, R., McClearn, G. E., and Gora-Maslak, G. (1991a). Use of recombinant inbred strains to detect quantitative trait loci associated with behavior.Behav. Genet. 21:99–116.
- Plomin, R., McClearn, G. E., Gora-Maslak, G., and Neiderhiser, J. M. (1991b). An RI QTL cooperative data bank for recombinant inbred quantitative trait loci analyses. (Letter to the editor).Behav. Genet. 21:97–98.
- Roderick, T. H., and Guidi, J. (1989). Strain distribution of polymorphic variants. In Lyon, M. F., and Searle, A. G. (eds.),Genetic Variants and Strains of Laboratory Mouse, 2nd ed., Oxford University Press, Oxford, pp. 663–772.
- Silverman, B. W. (1986).Density Estimation for Statistics and Data Analysis, Chapman and Hall, London.
- Sokal, R., and Rohlf, F. J. (1981).Biometry, 2nd ed., Freeman, San Francisco.
- Staats, J. (1985). Standardized nomenclature for inbred strains of mice: Eighth listing.Cancer Res. 45:945–977.
- Taylor, B. A. (1978). Recombinant inbred strains: Use in gene mapping. In Morse, H. C. (ed.),Origins of Inbred Mice, Academic Press, New York, pp. 423–438.
- Taylor, B. A. (1989). Recombinant inbred strains. In Lyon, M. F., and Searle, A. G. (eds.),Genetic Variants and Strains of the Laboratory Mouse, 2nd ed., Oxford University Press, Oxford, pp. 773–789.
- Wilkinson, L. (1990).SYSTAT: The System for Statistics, Systat, Inc., Evanston, Il.
- Single-locus control of saccharin intake in BXD/Ty recombinant inbred (RI) mice: Some methodological implications for RI strain analysis
Volume 22, Issue 1 , pp 81-100
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- BXD recombinant inbred strains
- saccharin preference
- quantitative trait loci (QTL)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Research Service (151 W), VA Medical Center and Department of Medical Psychology, Oregon Health Sciences University, 97201, Portland, Oregon
- 2. Center for Human Development and Genetics, The Pennsylvania State University, 16802, University Park, Pennsylvania
- 3. Department of Pharmacology, University of North Dakota, 58202, Grand Forks, North Dakota