Genetics of spike-wave discharges in the electroencephalogram (EEG) of the WAG/Rij inbred rat strain: A classical mendelian crossbreeding study
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The WAG inbred strain might be an animal model for human absence epilepsy. To study the inheritance pattern of absence epilepsy, WAG rats were crossbred, in a classical Mendelian way, with inbred ACI rats which show no signs of epilepsy. In the parental strains, reciprocal F1 hybrids, F2, B1, and B2 generations, the number and duration of spikewave discharges were determined. One hundred percent of the F1 animals showed spike-wave discharges, while the percentages for the F2, B1 and B2 generations were 79, 95, and 37%, respectively. These results suggest that the occurrence of spike-wave discharges is determined by one gene with a dominant mode of inheritance. Cavalli's least-squares fitting procedure suggested different genetic models for the two parameters (number and duration) during the two periods (dark and light). These results confirm our previous findings (Peeterset al., Behav. Genet. 20, 453–460, 1990) that a number of genes are involved in absence epilepsy. One dominant gene appears to determine the occurrence, however, while others manipulate the number and duration of epileptic phenomena during the two periods dark and light.
- Crusio, W. E. (1984).Olfaction and Behavioural Responses to Novelty in Mice: A Quantitative-Genetic Analysis, Thesis, Nijmegen, The Netherlands.
- Kerbusch, S., van der Staay, F. J., and Hendriks, N. (1981). A searching procedure for transformations and models in a classical Mendelian cross breeding study.Behav. Genet. 11:239–254.
- Lennox, W. G. (1960).Epilepsy and Related Disorders, Little, Brown, Boston, Vol. 1, pp. 532–574.
- Marescaux, C., Vergnes, M., Micheletti, G., Depaulis, A., Reis, J., Rumbach, L., Warter, J.-M., and Kurtz, D. (1984). Une forme genetique d'absences petit mal chez le rat Wistar.Rev. Neurol. 140:63–66.
- Martin, B. J., Marley, R. J., Miner, L. L., and Wehner, J. M. (1988). Classical genetic analysis of GABA-related seizures.Pharmacol. Biochem. Behav. 29:501–507.
- Mather, K., and Jinks, J. L. (1971).Biometrical Genetics, Chapman and Hall, London.
- Metrakos, J. D., and Metrakos, K. (1960). Genetics of convulsive disorders. I. Introduction, problems, methods and baselines.Neurology 10:228–240.
- Metrakos, K., and Metrakos, J. D. (1961). Genetics of convulsive disorders. II. Genetic and electroencephalographic studies in centren-cephalic epilepsy.Neurology 11:464–483.
- Metrakos, J. D., and Metrakos, K. (1970). Genetic factors in epilepsy.Modern Prob. Pharmacopsychiat. (Niedemeyer, E. ed.)4:71–86.
- Myslobodsky, M. (1976).Petit Mal Epilepsy, Academic Press, New York.
- Peeters, B. W. M. M., Kerbusch, J. M. L., van Luijtelaar, E. L. J. M., Vossen, J. M. H., and Coenen, A. M. L. (1990). Genetics of absence epilepsy in rats.Behav. Genet. 20:453–460.
- van Luijtelaar, E. L. J. M., and Coenen, A. M. L. (1986). Two types of electrocortical paroxysms in an inbred strain of rats.Neurosci. Lett. 70:393–397.
- van Luijtelaar, E. L. J. M., and Coenen, A. M. L. (1988). Circadian rhythmicity in absence epilepsy in rats.Epilepsy Res. 2:331–336.
- Vergnes, M., Marescaux, C., Micheletti, G., Reis, J., Depaulis, A., Rumbach, L., and Warter, J.-M. (1982). Spontaneous paroxysmal electroclinical patterns in rats: A model of generalized non-convulsive epilepsy.Neurosci. Lett. 33:97–101.
- Genetics of spike-wave discharges in the electroencephalogram (EEG) of the WAG/Rij inbred rat strain: A classical mendelian crossbreeding study
Volume 22, Issue 3 , pp 361-368
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- absence epilepsy
- animal model
- inbred strains
- Mendelian crossbreeding study
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of CNS Pharmacology, Organon International B.V., P.O. Box 20, NL-5340 BH, Oss, The Netherlands
- 2. Department of Comparative and Physiological Psychology, University of Nijmegen, P.O. Box 9104, NL-6500 HE, Nijmegen, The Netherlands