Empirical estimates of bonferroni corrections for use in chromosome mapping studies with the BXD recombinant inbred strains
- J. K. Belknap
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Most chromosome mapping efforts with the BXD recombinant inbred (RI) strains involve comparisons between a trait of interest and each of a large number of marker loci for evidence of linkage. Such multiple tests or comparisons greatly increase the Type I error rate compared to the single-test situation. Perhaps the most direct way to obtain multiple-test error rates is to employ a Bonferroni correction, where the single-test alpha is multiplied by the number of independent (nonredundant) comparisons (k) to yield a multiple-test alpha that protects against even one fortuitous association with any of the markers. Several empirical estimates ofk are discussed for the published BXD marker set of 142 mapped loci and the newer unpublished marker set (October 1991) comprised of 352 marker loci. Reasonable estimates ofk appear to be roughly 40 and 65 for these two marker sets, respectively.
- Bailey, D. W. (1981). Recombinant inbred strains and bilineal congenic strains. In Foster, H. L., Small, J. D., and Fox, J. G. (eds.),The Mouse in Biomedical Research, Vol. I, Academic Press, New York, pp. 223–239.
- Belknap, J. K., Crabbe, J. C., Plomin, R., McClearn, G. E., Sampson, K. E., O'Toole, L. A., and Gora-Maslak, G. (1992). Single locus control of saccharin intake in BXD/Ty recombinant inbred mice: Some methodological implications for RI strain analysis.Behav. Genet. 22:81–100.
- Goldman, D., Lister, R. G., and Crabbe, J. C. (1987). Mapping of a putative genetic locus determining ethanol intake in the mouse.Brain Res. 420:220–226.
- Green, E. L. (1981).Genetics and Probability in Animal Breeding Experiments, Oxford, New York.
- Hillyard, A. L., Doolittle, D. P., Davisson, M. T., and Roderick, T. H. (1992). Locus map of mouse.Mouse Genome 90:8–21.
- Lander, E. S., and Botstein, D. (1989). Mapping mendelian factors underlying quantitative traits using RFLP linkage maps.Genetics 121:185–199.
- Miller, R. G. Jr. (1981).Simultaneous Statistical Inference, McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Neumann, P. E. (1990). Two-locus linkage analysis using recombinant inbred strains and Bayes' theorem.Genetics 126:277–284.
- Neumann, P. E. (1991). Three-locus linkage analysis using recombinant inbred strains and Bayes' theorem.Genetics 128:631–638.
- Newmann, P. E. (1992). Inference in linkage analysis of multifactorial traits using recombinant inbred strains of mice.Behav. Genet. 22:665–676.
- Neumann, P. E., and Collins, R. L. (1991). Genetic dissection of susceptibility to audiogenic seizures in inbred mice.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 88:5408–5412.
- Rice, W. R. (1989). Analyzing tables of statistical tests.Evolution 43:223–225.
- Rise, M. T., Frankel, W. N., Coffin, J. M., and Seyfried, T. N. (1991). Genes for epilepsy mapped in the mouse.Science 253:669–673.
- Roderick, T. H., and Guidi, J. (1989). Strain distribution of polymorphic variants. In Lyon, M. F., and Searle, A. G. (eds.),Genetic Variants and Strains of the Laboratory Mouse, 2nd ed., Oxford University Press, Oxford, pp. 663–772.
- Silver, J., and Buckler, C. E. (1986). Statistical considerations for linkage analysis using recombinant inbred strains and backcrosses.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 83:1423–1427.
- Sokal, R., and Rohlf, J. (1981).Biometry, Freeman, San Francisco
- Taylor, B. A. (1978). Recombinant inbred strains: Use in gene mapping. In Morse, H. C. (ed.),Origins of Inbred Mice, Academic Press, New York, pp. 423–438.
- Taylor, B. A. (1989). Recombinant inbred strains. In Lyon, M. F., and Searle, A. G. (eds.),Genetics Variants and Strains of the Laboratory Mouse, 2nd ed., Oxford University Press, Oxford, pp. 773–789.
- Empirical estimates of bonferroni corrections for use in chromosome mapping studies with the BXD recombinant inbred strains
Volume 22, Issue 6 , pp 677-684
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- BXD recombinant inbred strains
- chromosome mapping
- J. K. Belknap (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Research Service (151W), VA Medical Center, and Department of Medical Psychology, Oregon Health Sciences University, 97201, Portland, Oregon