Multiple regression analysis of twin data: A model-fitting approach
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The multiple regression methodology proposed by DeFries and Fulker (DF; 1985, 1988) for the analysis of twin data is compared with maximum-likelihood estimation of genetic and environmental parameters from covariance structure. Expectations for the regression coefficients from submodels omitting theh 2 andc 2 terms are derived. Model comparisons similar to those conducted using maximum-likelihood estimation procedures are illustrated using multiple regression. Submodels of the augmented DF model are shown to yield parameter estimates highly similar to those obtained from the traditional latent variable model. While maximum-likelihood estimation of covariance structure may be the optimal statistical method of estimating genetic and environmental parameters, the model-fitting approach we propose is a useful extension to the highly flexible and conceptually simple DF methodology.
- Cherny, S. S., Cardon, L. R., Fulker, D. W., and DeFries, J. C. (1992). Differential heritability across levels of cognitive ability.Behav. Genet. 22:153–162.
- Cyphers, L. H., Phillips, K., Fulker, D. W., and Mrazek, D. A. (1990). Twin temperament during the transition from infancy to early childhood.J. Am. Acad. Child Adoles. Psychiat. 29:392–397.
- DeFries, J. C., and Fulker, D. W. (1985). Multiple regression analysis of twin data.Behav. Genet. 15:467–473.
- DeFries, J. C., and Fulker, D. W. (1988). Multiple regression analysis of twin data: Etiology of deviant scores versus individual differences.Acta Genet. Med. Gemellol. 37:205–216.
- DeFries, J. C., Olson, R. K., Pennington, B. F., and Smith, S. D. (1991). Colorado Reading Project: An update. In Duane, D. D., and Gray, D. B. (eds.),The Reading Brain: The Biological Basis of Dyslexia, York Press, Parkton, MD, pp. 53–87.
- DeFries, J. C., Gillis, J. J., and Wadsworth, S. J. (in press). Genes and genders: A twin study of reading disability. In Galaburda, A. M. (ed.),The Extraordinary Brain: Neurobiologic Issues in Developmental Dyslexia, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA.
- Detterman, D. K., Thompson, L. A., and Plomin, R. (1990). Differences in heritability across groups differing in ability.Behav. Genet. 20:369–384.
- Dunn, L. M., and Markwardt, F. C. (1970).Examiner's Manual: Peabody Individual Achievement Test, American Guidance Service, Circle Pines, MN.
- Fulker, D. W., Cardon, L. R., DeFries, J. C., Kimberling, W. J., Pennington, B. F., and Smith, S. D. (1991). Multiple regression analysis of sib-pair data on reading to detect quantitative trait loci.Read. Writ. Interdisciplin. J. 4:107–121
- Heath, A. C., Neale, M. C., Hewitt, J. K., Eaves, L. J., and Fulker, D. W. (1989). Testing structural equation models for twin data using LISREL.Behav. Genet. 19:9–35.
- Jöreskog, K. G., and Sörbom, D. (1989).LISREL 7: A Guide to the Program and Applications, 2nd ed., SPSS, Inc., Chicago.
- LaBuda, M. C., DeFries, J. C., and Fulker, D. W. (1986). Multiple regression analysis of twin data obtained from selected samples.Genet. Epidemiol. 3:425–433.
- Neale, M. C., Heath, A. C., Hewitt, J. K., Eaves, L. J., and Fulker, D. W. (1989). Fitting genetic models with LISREL: Hypothesis testing.Behav. Genet. 19:37–49.
- Plomin, R., and Rende, R. (1991). Human behavioral genetics.Annu. Rev. Psychol. 42:161–190.
- Wadsworth, S. J., Gillis, J. J., DeFries, J. C., and Fulker, D. W. (1989). Differential genetic aetiology of reading disability as a function of age.Irish J. Psychol. 10:509–520.
- Wechsler, D. (1974).Manual for the Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children—Revised, Psychological Corp., New York.
- Multiple regression analysis of twin data: A model-fitting approach
Volume 22, Issue 4 , pp 489-497
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- multiple regression