Poor insight in schizophrenia
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
- Amador XF, Strauss DH, Yale SA, and Gorman JM: Awareness of Illness in Schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Bulletin 17:113–132, 1991
- World Health Organization.Report of the International Pilot Study of Schizophrenia. Geneva: World Health Organization Press, 1973.
- Wilson WH, Ban TA, and Guy W: Flexible System Criteria in Chronic Schizophrenia.Comprehensive Psychiatry 27:259–265, 1986.
- David AS: On insight and psychosis: discussion paper.Journal of The Royal Society of Medicine 83:325–329, 1990.
- McEvoy JP, Apperson LJ, Appelbaum PS, Ortlip P, Brecosky J, and Hammill K: Insight in Schizophrenia. Its Relationship to Acute Psychopathology.Journal of Nervous and Mental Disorders 177:43–47, 1989A.
- McEvoy JP, Freter S, Everett G, Geller JL, Appelbaum P, Apperson LJ, and Roth L: Insight and the Clinical Outcome of Schizophrenics.Journal of Nervous and Mental Disorders 177:48–51, 1989B.
- Amador XF, Strauss DH, Yale SA, Endicott J, and Gorman J: The Assessment of Insight in Psychosis. In press American Journal of Psychiatry.
- Heinrichs DW, Cohen, BP, and Carpenter WT, Jr: Early Insight and the Management of Schizophrenic Decompensation.Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 173:133–138, 1985.
- McGlashan TH and Carpenter WT, Jr: Does Attitude Toward Psychosis Relate to Outcome?American Journal of Psychiatry 138:797–801, 1981.
- Soskis DA and Bowers MB: The Schizophrenic Experience. A Follow-Up Study of Attitude and Post Hospital Adjustment.Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 149:443–449, 1969.
- Endicott J, Spitzer RL, Fleiss JL, and Cohen J: The Global Assessment Scale: A procedure for measuring overall severity of psychiatric disturbance.Archives of General Psychiatry 33:766–771, 1976.
- Small IF, Small JG, and Gonzalez R: The clinical correlates of attitudinal change during psychiatric treatment.American Journal of Psychotherapy 19:66–74, 1965.
- Whittman JR, and Duffey RF: The relationship between type of therapy received and a patient's perception of his illness.Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 133:288–292, 1961.
- Bartko G, Herczog I, and Zador G: Clinical Symptomatology and Drug Compliance in Schizophrenic Patients.Acta Psychiatr. Scand 77:74–76, 1988.
- Carpenter WT, and Kirkpatrik B: The Heterogeneity of the Long Term Course of Schizophrenia.Schizophrenia Bulletin 14, 645–651, 1988.
- Andreasen NC: Schizophrenia.DSM IV Update, American Psychiatric Association, August/September, 1990.
- Carpenter, W.T., Heinrichs, D.W., Wagman, A.M.I.: Deficit and Nondeficit forms of schizophrenia: the concept.Am J Psychiatry. 145:578–583. 1988.
- Carpenter WT, Jr. Bartko JJ, Carpenter CL, and Strauss JS: Another View of Schizophrenia Subtypes.Archives of General Psychiatry 33:508–516, 1976.
- Carpenter WT Jr, Strauss JS, and Bartko JJ: Use of Signs and Symptoms for the Identification of Schizophrenic PatientsSchizophrenia Bulletin 11:37–49, 1974.
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 3rd Edition revised. American Psychiatric Association Press. 1971.
- Babinsky M.J.: Contribution a l'etude des troubles mentaux dans l'hemiplegieorganique cerebale (Agnosognosie).Revue Neurologique 12:845–888, 1914.
- Bisiach C, Valler G, Periani D, Papogano C, and Berti J: Unawareness of disease following lesions of the right hemisphere: Anosognosia for hemiplegia and anosognosia for hemianopia.Neuropsychologia 24:471–482, 1986.
- Kraepelin, E: Dementia Praecox and Paraphrenia. Robert E. Krieger Publishing Co. Inc. Hunnington, New York (1971), original 1919.
- McGlynn SM, and Schacter DL: Unawareness of Deficits in Neuropsychological Syndromes.Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology 11:143–205, 1989.
- Poor insight in schizophrenia
Volume 64, Issue 4 , pp 305-318
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. the Department of Clinical Psychobiology, Schizophrenia Research Unit, New York State Psychiatric Institute, USA
- 2. the Department of Psychiatry, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, USA