Reactions of schizophrenics to life-threatening disease
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This contribution reports a study of chronic schizophrenics hospitalized in state hospitals who suffer from serious and life-threatening medical and surgical illnesses. Four primary findings are described and discussed: lack of verbalization of pain and discomfort; bodily self-mutilation; toleration and exhibition of loathsome lesions; and inability or unwillingness to tolerate medical care. Some examples of exceptions to these four findings are also presented. Possible explanations for the findings are discussed in terms of their biological, social, and psychological components, recognizing that no single factor can explain the findings in this complex and varied population. It is concluded that treatment staffs in the hospital or community must be alert to changes in patient state, must utilize compromise methods of care and must anticipate or deduce a patient's needs while the patient is physically ill.
- Bleuler, F. (1950) Dementia Praecox, or the Group of Schizophrenias. International Universities Press, New York
- Alter, W (1904) Zur Genese einiger Symptome in katatonen Zuständen. Neurol Zentralbl 23: pp. 8-13
- Earl, A, Earl, EV (1955) The blood pressure response to pain and emotion in schizophrenia. J Nerv Ment Dis 121: pp. 132-139
- Ehrentheil, OF, Marchand, WE (1960) Clinical Medicine and the Psychotic Patient. Charles C. Thomas, Springfield, Ill.
- Geschwind N: Letter to the Editor on insensitivity to pain in psychotic patients.New Eng J Med 296 (25), June 23, p. 1480, 1977.
- Weisman, AD Thanatology. In: Freedman, AM, Kaplan, HI, Sadock, BJ eds. (1975) Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry, Vol. 2. The Williams and Wilkins Co., Baltimore, pp. 1748-1759
- Tucek C: Personal Communication.
- Marchand, WE (1955) Occurrence of painless myocardial infarction in psychotic patients. New Eng J Med 253: pp. 51-55
- Rosenthal, D, Kety, SS eds. (1968) The Transmission of Schizophrenia. Pergamon Press, Oxford
- Linn, L, Talbott, JA (1977) Crisis Intervention. Roche Laboratories, Nutley, N.J.
- Keith, SJ, Gunderson, JG, Reifman, A, Buchsbaum, S, Mosher, LR (1976) Special report: Schizophrenia 1976. Schizophrenia Bull 2: pp. 510-565
- Bonica, JJ eds. (1974) Advances in Neurology, Vol. 4. Raven Press, New York
- Jorstad, V, Wilbert, DE, Wirrer, B (1977) Sensory dysfunction in adult schizophrenia. Hosp Community Psychiat 28: pp. 280-283
- Parsons, T (1964) The Social System. Free Press, New York
- Wolff, HG, Goodell, H (1943) The relation of attitudes and suggestion to the perception of the reaction to pain. Res Nerv Ment Dis Proc 23: pp. 434-448
- Szasz, TS Language and Pain. In: Arieti, S eds. (1959) American Handbook of Psychiatry. Basic Books, New York, pp. 982-999
- Burnham, DL, Gladstone, SI, Gibson, RW (1969) Schizophrenia and the Need-Fear Dilemma. International Universities Press, New York
- Schilder, P (1935) The image and appearance of the human body. Kegan Paul, French Trubner and Co., London
- Phillips, R, Alkan, M (1961) Recurrent self-mutilation. Psychiat Q 35: pp. 424-426
- Weinstein, EA, Kahn, RL (1955) Denial of Illness. Charles C. Thomas, Springfield, Ill.
- Gonda, TA, Waitzkin, MB (1975) The fight to refuse treatment. Current Concepts Psychiat 1: pp. 5-10
- Reactions of schizophrenics to life-threatening disease
Volume 50, Issue 3 , pp 218-227
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Comprehensive Clinical Services, Payne Whitney Psychiatric Clinic, Cornell Medical Center, USA
- 2. Cornell University Medical College, USA
- 3. Dunlap-Manhattan Psychiatric Center, Ward's Island, New York, USA
- 5. Mt. Sinai School of Medicine, City University of New York, USA