Self-deception and belief attribution
- Steven D. Hales
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
One of the most common views about self-deception ascribes contradictory beliefs to the self-deceiver. In this paper it is argued that this view (the contradiction strategy) is inconsistent with plausible common-sense principles of belief attribution. Other dubious assumptions made by contradiction strategists are also examined. It is concluded that the contradiction strategy is an inadequate account of self-deception. Two other well-known views — those of Robert Audi and Alfred Mele — are investigated and found wanting. A new theory of self-deception relying on an extension of Mark Johnston's subintentional mental tropisms is proposed and defended.
- Audi, R.: 1985, ‘Self-Deception and Rationality’, in Martin (ed.), 1985, pp. 169–94.
- Audi, R.: 1988, ‘Self-Deception, Rationalization, and Reasons for Acting’, in McLaughlin and Rorty (eds.), 1988, pp. 92–120.
- Audi, R.: 1989, ‘Self-Deception and Practical Reasoning’,Canadian Journal of Philosophy 19, 247–66.
- DaCosta, N. C. A. and French, S.: 1990, ‘Belief, Contradiction, and the Logic of Self-Deception’,American Philosophical Quarterly 27, 179–97.
- Davidson, D.: 1984a,Inquiries into Truth and Interpretation, Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Davidson, D.: 1984b, ‘Thought and Talk’, in Davidson (ed.), 1984a, pp. 155–70.
- Davidson, D.: 1984c, ‘Truth and Meaning’, in Davidson (ed.), 1984a, pp. 17–36.
- Demos, R.: 1960, ‘Lying to Oneself’,The Journal of Philosophy 57, 588–95.
- Haight, M. R.: 1980,A Study of Self-Deception, Harvester Press, Brighton, Sussex.
- Haight, M. R.: 1985, ‘Tales From a Black Box’, in Martin (ed.), 1985, pp. 244–60.
- Johnston, M.: 1988, ‘Self-Deception and the Nature of Mind’, in McLaughlin and Rorty (eds.), 1988, pp. 63–91.
- Kripke, S.: 1979, ‘A Puzzle About Belief’, in Margalit (ed.), 1979, pp. 239–83.
- Margalit, A., ed.: 1979,Meaning and Use, D. Reidel, Dordrecht, Holland.
- Martin, M. W., ed.: 1985,Self-Deception and Self-Understanding, University Press of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas.
- McLaughlin, B.: 1988, ‘Exploring the Possibility of Self-Deception in Belief’, in McLaughlin and Rorty (eds.), 1988, pp. 29–62.
- McLaughlin, B. and Rorty, A. O., eds.: 1988,Perspectives on Self-Deception, University of California Press, Berkeley.
- Mele, A.: 1987a, ‘Recent Work on Self-Deception’,American Philosophical Quarterly 24, 1–17.
- Mele, A.: 1987b,Irrationality: An Essay on Akrasia, Self-Deception, and Self Control, Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Miri, M.: ‘Self-Deception’,Philosophy and Phenomenological Research 34, 576–85.
- Nussbaum, M.: 1988, ‘Love's Knowledge’, in McLaughlin and Rorty 1988, pp. 487–514.
- Paluch, S.: 1967, ‘Self-Deception’,Inquiry 10, 268–78.
- Pears, D.: 1991, ‘Self-Deceptive Belief Formation’,Synthese 89, 393–405.
- Rorty, A. O.: 1988, ‘The Deceptive Self: Liars, Layers, and Lairs’, in McLaughlin and Rorty (eds.), 1988, pp. 11–28.
- Sartre, J.-P.: 1956,Being and Nothingness, trans. Hazel E. Barnes, Philosophical Library, New York; originally published asL'Être et le Néant, 1943.
- Siegler, F. A.: 1968, ‘An Analysis of Self-Deception’,Nous 2, 147–64.
- van Fraassen, B.: 1988, ‘The Peculiar Effects of Love and Desire’, in McLaughlin and Rorty (eds.), 1988, 123–56.
- Self-deception and belief attribution
Volume 101, Issue 2 , pp 273-289
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Steven D. Hales (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy Bakeless Center for the Humanities, Bloomsburg University, 17815, Bloomsburg, PA, USA