Properties of the Michaelis-Menten equation and its integrated form which are useful in pharmacokinetics
- John G. Wagner
- … show all 1 hide
Some old equations are reviewed and some new equations have been derived which indicate certain properties of the Michaelis-Menten equation and its integrated forms. Simulated data which obey Michaelis-Menten kinetics have been plotted in various ways to illustrate special relationships. An equation is derived which accurately estimates the slope of the apparently linear decline (ko)of concentrations from the values of Co, Km,and Vm.This indicates the hybrid nature of ko.It is pointed out that if a metabolite is formed by Michaelis-Menten kinetics, then (a)one would not expect linear plots of cumulative amount of metabolite excreted in the urine vs. time, and (b)the plasma clearance of the drug will change with dose, and the plasma clearance of the drug would be expected to be different following administration of the same dose in a rapidly available and a slowly available dosage form. The distortion in parameter values when data arising from Michaelis-Menten kinetics are evaluated by classical linear pharmacokinetics is indicated.
- L. Michaelis and M. L. Menten. Die Kinetik der Invertinwirkung.Biochem. Z.,49, 333–369 (1913).
- A. F. Bartholomay. Stochastic models in medicine and biology. In Proceedings of a Symposium, Mathematics Research Center, U.S. Army, University of Wisconsin, June 12–14, (1963), pp. 105–112.
- V. Henri. Theórie générale de l'action de quelques diastases.Compt. Rend. Hebd. Séanc. Acad. Sci. (Paris),135, 916–919 (1902).
- A. Rescigno and G. Segre.Drug and Tracer Kinetics. Blaisdell, Waltham, Mass., 1966,p. 14.
- J. G. Wagner. A new generalized nonlinear pharmacokinetic model and its implications. InBiopharmaceutics and Relevant Pharmacokinetics, Drug Intelligence Publications, Hamilton Press, Hamilton, Ill. (1971), pp. 302–317.
- R. L. Dedrick and K. B. Bischoff. Pharmacokinetics in application of the artificial kidney.Chem. Engr. Prog. Symp. ser.,64, 32–44 (1968).
- K. B. Bischoff and R. L. Dedrick. Thiopental pharmacokinetics.J. Pharm. Sci.,57, 1346–1357 (1968).
- K. B. Bischoff, R. L. Dedrick, and D. S. Zaharko. Preliminary model for methotrexate pharmacokinetics.J. Pharm. Sci. 59, 149–154 (1970).
- F. Lundquist and H. Wolthers. The kinetics of alcohol elimination in man.Acta Pharmacol. Toxicol.,14, 265–289 (1958).
- E. Krüger-Thiemer. Nonlinear dose-concentration relationships.Farmaco (Pavia) Ed. Sci.,23, 717–756 (1968).
- E. Krüger-Thiemer and R. R. Levine. The solution of pharmacological problems with computers. Part 8. Non first-order models of drug metabolism.Arzneim.-Forsch.,18, 1575–1579 (1968).
- E. S. Vesell, J. G. Page, and G. T. Passonanti. Genetic and environmental factors affecting ethanol metabolism in man.Clin. Pharmacol. Therap.,12, 192–201 (1971).
- A. Goldstein. Saturation of alcohol dehydrogenase by ethanol.New. Engl. J. Med.,283, 875 (1970).
- G. Levy. Pharmacokinetics of salicylate elimination in man.J. Pharm. Sci.,54, 959–967 (1965).
- G. Levy, T. Tsuchuja, and L. P. Amsel. Limited capacity for salicyl phenolic glucuronide formation and its effect on the kinetics of salicylate elimination in man.Clin. Pharmacol. Therap.,13, 258–268 (1972).
- N. Gerber and K. Arnold. Studies on the metabolism of diphenylhydantoin in mice.J. Pharmacol. Exptl. Therap.,167, 77–89 (1969).
- N. Gerber and J. G. Wagner. Explanation of dose-dependent decline of diphenylhydantoin plasma levels by fitting to the integrated form of the Michaelis-Menten equation.Res. Commun. Chem. Pathol. Pharm.,3, 455–466 (1972).
- J. G. Wagner and J. A. Patel. Variations in absorption and elimination rates of ethyl alcohol in a single subject.Res. Commun. Chem. Pathol. Pharm. 4:61–76 (1972).
- C. S. Lieber and L. M. DeCarli. The role of the hepatic microsomal ethanol oxidizing system (MEOS) for ethanol metabolismin vivo.J. Pharmacol. Exptl. Therap.,181, 279–287 (1972).
- M. R. Morgan. Approximations of the integrated rate equation for enzyme reactions: The Veibel equation.Enzymologia,42, 219–233 (1972).
- Properties of the Michaelis-Menten equation and its integrated form which are useful in pharmacokinetics
Journal of Pharmacokinetics and Biopharmaceutics
Volume 1, Issue 2 , pp 103-121
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Michaelis-Menten kinetics
- dose-dependent kinetics
- elimination half-life
- areas under blood level curves
- urinary excretion of metabolites
- Industry Sectors
- John G. Wagner (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. College of Pharmacy and Upjohn Center for Clinical Pharmacology, The University of Michigan, 48104, Ann Arbor, Michigan