The acute oral toxicity, repellency, and hazard potential of 998 chemicals to one or more species of wild and domestic birds
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The acute oral toxicity, repellency, and hazard potential of 998 chemicals to one or more of 68 species of wild and domestic birds was determined by standardized testing procedures. Red winged blackbirds were the most sensitive of the bird species tested on a large number of chemicals, and an index based on redwing toxicity and repellency may provide an appropriate indication of the probability of acute avian poisoning episodes. Avian repellency and toxicity were not positively correlated (i.e. toxicity varied independently with repellency).
- DeCino, T. J., D. J. Cunningham, and E. W. Schafer: Toxicity of DRC-1339 to starlings. J. Wildl. Manage.30, 249 (1966).
- Frank, F. R., E. W. Schafer, Jr., and J. L. Guarino: Laboratory and field studies with an avian repellent for sprouting seeds. Proc. Bird Control Seminar5, 86 (1970).
- Friedman, M.: The use of ranks to avoid the assumption of normality implicit in the analysis of variance. J. Amer. Stat. Assoc.32, 675 (1937).
- Litchfield, J. T., and E. W. Wilcoxon: A simplified method of evaluating dose-effect experiments. J. Pharmacol. Exptl. Therap.96, 99 1949.
- Schafer, E. W., Jr.: The acute oral toxicity of 369 pesticidal, pharmaceutical and other chemicals to wild birds. Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol.21, 315 (1972).
- Schafer, E. W., Jr., and R. B. Brunton: Chemicals as bird repellents-two promising agents. J. Wildl. Manage.35, 569 (1971).
- Schafer, E. W., Jr., and D. J. Cunningham: An evaluation of 146 compounds as avian immobilizing agents. USDI Spec. Sci. Rept. Wildl. 150, Washington, DC (1972).
- Schafer, E. W., Jr., R. B. Brunton, and D. J. Cunningham: A summary of the acute toxicity of 4-aminopyridine to birds and mammals. Toxicol Appl. Pharmacol.26, 532 (1973a).
- Schafer, E. W., Jr., R. B. Brunton, and N. F. Lockyer: Evaluation of 45 chemicals as chemosterilants in adult male coturnix. J. Reprod. Fert.48, 371 (1976).
- Schafer, E. W., Jr., R. B. Brunton, and N. F. Lockyer: Indicator bird species for toxicity determinations: Is the technique useful in test method development? Vertebrate Pest Control and Management Materials. ASTM STP 680 J. R. Beck (ed.). American Society for Testing and Materials, 157. Philadelphia, PA (1979).
- Schafer, E. W., Jr., J. L. Guarino, and R. B. Brunton: Use of male coturnix quail in the laboratory development of avian chemosterilants. Vertebrate Pest Control and Management Materials. ASTM STP 625 W. B. Jackson and R. E. Marsh (eds.). American Society for Testing and Materials, 225. Philadelphia, PA (1977).
- Schafer, E. W., Jr., R. R., West, and D. J. Cunningham: DRC-1347-A new starling contact toxicant. Pest Control37, 22 (1969).
- Schafer, E. W., Jr., R. B. Brunton, N. F. Lockyer, and J. W. DeGrazio: Comparative toxicity of 17 pesticides to the quelea, house sparrow and red-winged blackbird. Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol.21, 154 (1973b).
- Schafer, E. W., Jr., R. B. Brunton, E. C. Schafer, and J. Chevez: Effects of 77 chemicals on reproduction in male and female coturnix quail. Ecotoxicol. Environm. Safety6, 149 (1982).
- Schafer, E. W., Jr., R. I. Starr, D. J. Cunningham, and T. J. DeCino: Substituted phenylN-methylcarbamates as temporary immobilizing agents for birds. J. Agric. Food Chem.15, 287 (1967).
- Shefte, N., R. L. Bruggers, and E. W. Schafer, Jr.: Repellency and toxicity of three bird control chemicals to four species of African grain-eating birds. J. Wildl. Manage.41, 453 (1982).
- Snedecor, G. W., and W. G. Cochran: Statistical methods. 6 ed. Iowa State Univ. Press Ames, Iowa: (1971).
- Starr, R. I., J. F. Besser, and R. B. Brunton: A laboratory method for evaluating chemicals as bird repellents. J. Agric. Food Chem.12, 342 (1964).
- Thompson, W. R.: Use of moving averages and interpolation to estimate median effective dose. Bacteriol. Rev.11, 115 (1948).
- Thompson, W. R., and C. S. Weil: On the construction of tables for moving average interpolation. Biometrics8, 51 (1952).
- Weil, C. S.: Tables for convenient calculation of median effective dose (LD50 or ED50) and instructions in their use. Biometrics8, 249 (1952).
- The acute oral toxicity, repellency, and hazard potential of 998 chemicals to one or more species of wild and domestic birds
Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology
Volume 12, Issue 3 , pp 355-382
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors