Acute and chronic effects of carbaryl on survival, growth, and metamorphosis in the bullfrog (Rana tigrina)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The effects of carbaryl (1-naphthalenyl methylcarbamate), an extensively used insecticide in agricultural operations, have been studied on survival, growth, and metamorphosis of the bullfrog tadpoleRana tigrina. The 96 hr LC50 value for tadpoles (0.02 g) was 6.2 mg/L. The tadpoles were reared from hatching to metamorphosis in sublethal concentrations of carbaryl. Rates of feeding, defecation, and excretion increased with increasing concentration of carbaryl but the conversion rate decreased leading to the production of small froglets. The tadpoles exposed to the sublethal concentrations suffered no mortality until the appearance of the forelimb; however, during metamorphosis mortality was significant, even at 2 mg/L.
- Arunachalam, S., K. Jeyalakshmi, and S. Aboobucker: Toxic and sublethal effects of carbaryl on a fresh water catfishMystus vittatus (Bloch). Arch. Environ. Contam. Toxicol.9, 307 (1980).
- Arunachalam, S., and S. Palanichamy: Sublethal effects of carbaryl on surfacing behaviour and food utilization in the air breathing fishMacropodus cupanus. Physiol. & Behav. in press (1982).
- Bhaskaran, R.: Biological studies on chosen thermoconformer (Channa striatus). Ph.D. Thesis, Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai, India (1980).
- Elliott, J. M.: Energy losses in the waste products of brown trout (Salmo trutta L.). J. Anim. Ecol.45, 561 (1976).
- International Trade Centre: Marketing prospects for frog legs from India in selected west European countries. Cochin/ Geneva (1980).
- King, S. F.: United States Fish and Wildlife Service, Special Scientific Report—Fish, No. 399, Washington, DC (1962).
- Malliga, G.: The influence of salinity and body size on the susceptibility ofTilapia mossambica to three pesticides. M.Sc. dissertation, Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai, India (1979).
- Mathialaga Raj, R.: Comparative toxicities of six pesticides to a freshwater fishLepidocephalicthys thermalis. M.Sc. dissertation, Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai, India (1978).
- Maynard, A. L., and K. J. Loosli: Animal nutrition. 5 ed. New York: McGraw-Hill (1962).
- Petrusewicz, K., and A. MacFadyen: Productivity of terrestrial animals. IBP Hand Book No. 13, Oxford: Blackwell (1970).
- Prosser, C. L., and F. A. Brown, Jr.: Comparative animal physiology. 2 ed. Philadelphia: W. B. Saunders (1961).
- Rugh, R.: Experimental embryology. Techniques and procedures, 3 ed, Minneapolis: Burgers (1965).
- Solorzano, L.: Determination of ammonia in natural waters by the phenol-hypochlorite method. Limnol. Oceanogr.14, 799 (1969).
- Acute and chronic effects of carbaryl on survival, growth, and metamorphosis in the bullfrog (Rana tigrina)
Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology
Volume 12, Issue 3 , pp 271-275
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors