Determination of the DDE and PCB contents of peregrine Falcon eggs: A comparison of whole egg measurements and estimates derived from eggshell membranes
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A method using eggshell membranes to determine egg content levels of DDE and polychlorobiphenyls (PCBs), two of the most ubiquitous environmental contaminants, has been validated. A comparison was made between the residue levels determined from the egg contents of 40 Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus) eggs and from hexanesoluble extracts of the dried eggshell membranes. The results confirm the use of museum eggshells for estimations of DDE and PCB levels of the original egg contents. This method should be valid for other lipophilic compounds. The data generated are of use not only to determine the records of past contamination, but may be expected to provide useful information on patterns of contamination encountered in different geographical areas. The membrane extraction technique allows pollutant levels to be measured without removing viable material from endangered species.
- Berger, D. D., C. R. Sindelar, Jr., and K. R. Gamble: The status of breeding Peregrines in the eastern United States. In Peregrine Falcon populations. Their biology and decline. Ed. J. J. Hickey, Univ. of Wisconsin Press, Madison, pp. 165–173 (1969).
- Burke, J. A.: The interlaboratory study of pesticide residue analysis. In Advances in pesticide science. 4th Intern. Congr. of Pesticide Chemistry. Part 3. Biochemistry of pests and mode of action of pesticides, pesticide degradation, pesticide residues, formulation chemistry. Ed. H. Geissluhler. pp. 633–642 (1978).
- Cade, T. J., J. L. Lincer, C. M. White, D. G. Roseneau, and L. G. Swartz: DDE residues and eggshell changes in Alaskan falcons and hawks. Science172, 955 (1971).
- Fyfe, R. W., S. A. Temple, and T. J. Cade: The 1975 North American Peregrine Falcon survey. Canadian Field-Natu-ralist90, 228–273 (1976).
- Gurney, J. H.: Early annals of ornithology. H. F. and G. Witherby, London (1921).
- Harting, J. E.: Bibliotheca Accipitraria. A catalogue of books ancient and modern relating to falconry. London: Bernard Quaritch (1891).
- Herman, S. G.: The Peregrine Falcon decline in California. II. Breeding Status in 1970. Amer. Birds25, 818 (1971).
- Herman, S. G., M. N. Kirven, and R. W. Risebrough: The Peregrine Falcon decline in California. I. A preliminary review. Audubon Field Notes24, 609 (1970).
- Hickey, J. J., and D. W. Anderson: Chlorinated hydrocarbons and eggshell changes in raptorial and fish-eating birds. Science162, 271 (1968).
- Holden, A. V.: The O.E.C.D. international co-operative studies of organochlorine residues in wildlife. Eviron. Qual. Saf. Suppl.3, 40 (1975).
- Kiff, L. F., D. B. Peakall, M. L. Morrison, and S. R. Wilbur: Eggshell thickness and DDE residue levels in vulture eggs. In S. R. Wilbur (ed.): Vulture and biology management. Berkeley: University of California Press (1983).
- Kiff, L. F., D. B. Peakall, and S. R. Wilbur: Recent changes in California Condor eggshells. Condor81, 166 (1979).
- Norstrom, R. J., D. J. Hallett, and R. A. Sonstegard: Coho Salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch) and Herring Gulls (Lams argentatus) as indicators of organochlorine contamination in Lake Ontario. J. Fish. Res. Bd. Can.35, 1401 (1978).
- Peakall, D. B.: DDE: Its presence in Peregrine eggs in 1948. Science183, 673 (1974).
- Peakall, D. B., L. M. Reynolds, and M. C. French: DDE in eggs of the Peregrine Falcon. Bird Study23, 183 (1976).
- Peakall, D. B. and L. F. Kiff: Eggshell thinning and DDE residue levels among Peregrine FalconsFalco peregrinus: a global perspective.Ibis 121: 200–204 (1979).
- Ratcliffe, D. A.: The status of the Peregrine in Great Britain. Bird Study10, 56 (1963).
- —: Decrease in eggshell weight in certain birds of prey. Nature215, 208 (1967).
- —: The Peregrine Falcon. T. and A. D. Poyser, Stafford-shire, England (1980).
- Reynolds, L. M.: Pesticide residue analysis in the presence of polychlorobiphenyls (PCBs). Res. Rev.34, 27 (1971).
- Reynolds, L. M., and T. Cooper: Analysis of organochlorine residues in fish. ASTM. Spec. Techn. Pub. 573 (1975).
- Siegel, S.: Nonparametric statistics for the behavioral sciences. New York: McGraw-Hill (1956).
- Vermeer, K., and L. M. Reynolds: Organochlorine residues in aquatic birds in the Canadian prairie provinces. Can. Field Nat.84, 117 (1970).
- Determination of the DDE and PCB contents of peregrine Falcon eggs: A comparison of whole egg measurements and estimates derived from eggshell membranes
Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology
Volume 12, Issue 5 , pp 523-528
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of the Environment, National Wildlife Research Centre, Canadian Wildlife Service, K1A 0E7, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- 2. California Department of Fish and Game, Water Pollution Control Laboratory, 2005 Nimbus Road, 95670, Rancho Cordova, California
- 3. Bodega Marine Laboratory, University of California, P.O. Box 247, 94923, Bodega Bay, California
- 4. The Bodega Bay Institute, 2711 Piedmont Avenue, 94705, Berkeley, California
- 5. Santa Cruz Predatory Bird Research Group, University of California, Clark Kerr Hall, 95064, Santa Cruz, California
- 6. Ontario Research Foundation, Sheridan Park, L5K 1B3, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
- 7. Canadian Wildlife Service, #1000, 9942-108th Street, T5K 2J5, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
- 8. Western Foundation of Vertebrate Zoology, 1100 Glendon Avenue, 90024, Los Angeles, California