Congenital abnormalities in nickel poisoning in chick embryos
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Experiments were conducted to evaluate the teratogenic potential of nickel chloride given to developing chick embryos. Nickel chloride was dissolved in saline and injected into chicken eggs at dosages ranging from 0.02 to 0.7 mg per egg. The injections were made into the air sacs of eggs at days 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4 of incubation. Control eggs were injected with an equivalent volume of saline (0.1 ml per egg); in all, 840 chicken eggs were used. All embryos were examined on day eight. The following malformations were observed: exencephaly, everted viscera, short and twisted neck, short and twisted limbs, microphthalmia, hemorrhage, and reduced body size. The dose-response relationship was observed in all of the groups tested. The toxicity and teratogenicity of nickel chloride was the highest in the embryos treated at day 2. The results of the present study indicate that nickel chloride is teratogenic.
- Ambrose, A. M., P. S. Larson, J. F. Borzelleca, and G. R. Henniger: Long term toxicologie assessment of nickel in rats and dogs. J. Food Sci. Technol.13, 181 (1976).
- Ferm, V. H.: The teratogenic effects of metals on mammalian embryos. Advan. Teratol.5, 51 (1972).
- Gilani, S. H.: Congenital anomalies in lead poisoning. Obstet. Gynecol.41, 265 (1973).
- Landauer, W.: Insulin-induced abnormalities of beak, extremities, and eyes in chickens. J. Exp. Zool.105, 145 (1947).
- —: Nicotine-induced malformations of chicken embryos and their bearing on the phenocopy problem. J. Exp. Zool.143, 107 (1960).
- Sunderman, F. W., Jr.: Nickel carcinogenesis. Diseases of Chest54, 41 (1968).
- Sunderman, F. W., Jr., M. A. Esphani, D. J. Beach, and R. C. Elser: Nickel carbonyl inhibition of DNA-dependent RNA polymerase activity in liver. Fed. Proc.27, 777 (1968).
- Sunderman, F. W., Jr., S. K. Shen, J. M. Mitchel, and I. Damjanov: Embryotoxicity and fetal toxicity of nickel in rats. Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol.43, 381 (1978).
- Swierenga, S. H., and P. K. Basrur: Effect of nickel on cultured rat embryo muscle cell. Lab. Invest.19, 663 (1968).
- Williamson, A. P., R. J. Blattner, H. R. Lutz: Abnormalities in chick embryos following thalidomide and other insoluble compounds in the amniotic cavities. Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med.112, 1022 (1963).
- Congenital abnormalities in nickel poisoning in chick embryos
Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology
Volume 9, Issue 1 , pp 17-22
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors