The accumulation and disposition of benz(a)acridine in the fathead minnow,Pimephales promelas
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The bioconcentration and metabolism of benz(a)acridine in fathead minnows (Pimephales promelas) was investigated using14C-labelled benz(a)acridine. The rates of uptake, elimination, and metabolic transformation of benz(a)acridine were estimated in the fish. The equilibrium concentration factor [ratio of benz(a)acridine concentration in fish (wet weight) to benz(a)acridine concentration in water] was estimated at 106±17. The observed bioconcentration factor was about one tenth of that predicted by octanol-water partitioning models. Metabolic alteration was estimated to reduce the degree of bioconcentration 50 to 90% from the hypothetical case in which metabolic transformation did not occur. Benz(a)acridine metabolites attained concentrations in the fish considerably in excess of benz(a)acridine itself.
- Davies, O. L., and P. L. Goldsmith: Statistical methods in research and production, 4 ed., p. 54. New York: Hafner (1972).
- Halter, M. T., and H. E. Johnson: A model system to study the desorption and biological availability of PCB in hydrosoils. Aquatic toxicology and hazard evaluation, ASTM STP 634. F. L. Mayer and J. L. Hamelink, eds., American Society for Testing and Materials, p. 78 (1977).
- Hamelink, J. L.: Current bioconcentration test methods and theory. Aquatic toxicology and hazard evaluation, ASTM STP 634, F. L. Mayer and J. L. Hamelink, eds., American Society for Testing and Materials, (1977).
- Lee, R. F., R. Sauerheber, and G. H. Dobbs: Uptake, metabolism, and discharge of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons by marine fish. Mar. Biol.17, 201 (1972).
- Leo, A. J.: Calculation of partition coefficients useful in the evaluation of the relative hazards of various chemicals in the environment. Symposium on structure-activity correlations in studies of toxicity and bioconcentration with aquatic organisms, G. D. Veith and D. E. Konasewich, eds., p. 151. International Joint Commission, Burlington, Ontario, Canada (1975).
- Leo, A. J., C. Hansch, and D. Elkins: Partition coefficients and their uses, Chem. Rev.71, 525 (1971).
- Melancon, M. J., Jr., and J. J. Lech: Uptake, biotransformation, disposition, and elimination of 2-methylnaphthalene and naphthalene in several fish species. Aquat. Toxicol. ASTM STP 667, L. L. Marking and R. A. Kimerle, eds., p. 5. American Society for Testing and Materials (1979).
- Neely, W. B.: Estimating rate constants for the uptake and clearance of chemicals by fish. Environ. Sci. Technol.13, 1506 (1979).
- Neely, W. R., D. R. Branson, and G. E. Blau: Partition coefficient to measure bioconcentration potential of organic chemicals in fish. Environ. Sci. Technol.8, 1113 (1974).
- Payne, J. F.: Field evaluation of benzopyrene hydroxylase induction as a monitor for marine petroleum pollution. Science191, 945 (1976).
- Payne, J. F., and W. R. Penrose: Induction of aryl hydrocarbon (benzo(a)pyrene) hydroxylase in fish by petroleum. Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol.14, 112 (1975).
- Roubal, W. T., T. K. Collier, and D. C. Malins: Accumulation and metabolism of carbon-14 labeled benzene, naphthalene, and anthracene by young coho salmon (Oncorhynchus klsutch). Arch. Environ. Contam. Toxicol.5, 513 (1977).
- Southworth, G. R., B. R. Parkhurst, and J. J. Beauchamp: Accumulation of acridine from water, food, and sediment by the fathead minnow,Pimephales Promelas, Water, Air, Soil Pollut.12, 331 (1979).
- Southworth, G. R., J. J. Beauchamp, and P. R. Schmieder: Bioaccumulation potential and acute toxicity of synthetic fuels effluents in freshwater biota: Azaarenes. Environ. Sci. Technol.12, 1062 (1978).
- Spacie, A., and J. L. Hamelink: Dynamics of trifluralin accumulation in river fishes, Environ. Sci. Technol.13, 817 (1979).
- Veith, G. D., D. L. Defoe, and B. V. Bergstedt: Measuring and estimating the bioconcentration factor of chemicals in fish, J. Fish. Res. Board Can.36, 1040 (1979a).
- Veith, G. D., N. M. Austin, and R. T. Morris: A rapid method for estimating Log P for organic chemicals, Water Res.13, 43 (1979b)
- The accumulation and disposition of benz(a)acridine in the fathead minnow,Pimephales promelas
Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology
Volume 10, Issue 5 , pp 561-569
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors