Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Mathematical formulations of the embedding methods commonly used for the reconstruction of attractors from data series are discussed. Embedding theorems, based on previous work by H. Whitney and F. Takens, are established for compact subsetsA of Euclidean space Rk. Ifn is an integer larger than twice the box-counting dimension ofA, then almost every map fromR k toR n , in the sense of prevalence, is one-to-one onA, and moreover is an embedding on smooth manifolds contained withinA. IfA is a chaotic attractor of a typical dynamical system, then the same is true for almost everydelay-coordinate map fromR k toR n . These results are extended in two other directions. Similar results are proved in the more general case of reconstructions which use moving averages of delay coordinates. Second, information is given on the self-intersection set that exists whenn is less than or equal to twice the box-counting dimension ofA.
- H. Abarbanel, R. Brown, and J. Kadtke, Prediction in chaotic nonlinear systems: Methods for time series with broadband Fourier spectra, preprint.
- A. M. Albano, J. Muench, C. Schwartz, A. Mees, and P. Rapp, Singular value decomposition and the Grassberger-Procaccia algorithm,Phys. Rev. A 38:3017–3026 (1988).
- V. I. Arnold,Geometrical Methods in the Theory of Ordinary Differential Equations (Springer-Verlag, New York, 1983).
- R. Badii, G. Broggi, B. Derighetti, M. Ravani, S. Ciliberto, A. Politi, and M. A. Rubio, Dimension increase in filtered chaotic signals,Phys. Rev. Lett. 60:979–982 (1988).
- D. S. Broomhead and G. P. King, Extracting qualitative dynamics from experimental data,Physics 20D:217–236 (1986).
- M. Casdagli, Nonlinear prediction of chaotic time series,Physica 35D:335–356 (1989).
- M. Casdagli, S. Eubank, D. Farmer, and J. Gibson, State-space reconstruction in the presence of noise, preprint.
- W. Ditto, S. Rauseo, and M. Spano, Experimental control of chaos,Phys. Rev. Lett. 65:3211–3214 (1990).
- J.-P. Eckmann and D. Ruelle, Ergodic theory of chaos and strange attractors,Rev. Mod. Phys. 57:617–656 (1985).
- A. Eden, C. Foias, B. Nicolaenko, and R. Temam, Hölder continuity for the inverse of Mañe's projection,Comptes Rendus, to appear.
- K. Falconer,Fractal Geometry (Wiley, New York, 1990).
- J. D. Farmer and J. Sidorowich, Predicting chaotic time series,Phys. Rev. Lett. 59:845–848 (1987).
- J. D. Farmer and J. Sidorowich, Exploiting chaos to predict the future and reduce noise, Technical Report LA-UR-88-901, Los Alamos National Laboratory (1988).
- G. Golub and C. Van Loan,Matrix Computations, 2nd ed. (Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, Maryland, 1989).
- E. Kostelich and J. Yorke, Noise reduction: Finding the simplest dynamical system consistent with the data,Physica 41D:183–196 (1990).
- E. Kostelich and J. Yorke, Noise reduction in dynamical systems,Phys. Rev. A 38:1649–1652 (1988).
- R. Mañé, On the dimension of the compact invariant sets of certain nonlinear maps, inLecture Notes in Mathematics, No. 898 (Springer-Verlag, 1981).
- P. Marteau and H. Abarbanel, Noise reduction in chaotic time series using scaled probabilistic methods, preprint.
- P. Mattila, Hausdorff dimension, orthogonal projections and intersections with planes,Ann. Acad. Sci. Fenn. Math. 1:227–224 (1975).
- F. Mitschke, M. Möller, and W. Lange, Measuring filtered chaotic signals,Phys. Rev. A 37:4518–4521 (1988).
- N. Packard, J. Crutchfield, D. Farmer, and R. Shaw, Geometry from a time series,Phys. Rev. Lett. 45:712 (1980).
- W. Rudin,Real and Complex Analysis, 2nd ed. (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1974).
- J.-C. Roux and H. Swinney, Topology of chaos in a chemical reaction, inNonlinear Phenomena in Chemical Dynamics, C. Vidal and A. Pacault, eds. (Springer, Berlin, 1981).
- B. Hunt, T. Sauer and J. Yorke, Prevalence: A translation-invariant “almost every” on infinite-dimensional spaces, preprint.
- T. Sauer and J. Yorke, Statistically self-similar sets, preprint.
- J. Sommerer, W. Ditto, C. Grebogi, E. Ott, and M. Spano, Experimental confirmation of the theory for critical exponents of crises,Phys. Lett. A 153:105–109 (1991).
- F. Takens, Detecting strange attractors in turbulence, inLecture Notes in Mathematics, No. 898 (Springer-Verlag, 1981).
- B. Townshend, Nonlinear prediction of speech signals, preprint.
- H. Whitney, Differentiable manifolds,Ann. Math. 37:645–680 (1936).
- J. Yorke, Periods of periodic solutions and the Lipschitz constant,Proc. Am. Math. Soc. 22:509–512 (1969).
Journal of Statistical Physics
Volume 65, Issue 3-4 , pp 579-616
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- chaotic attractor
- attractor reconstruction
- probability one
- box-counting dimension
- delay coordinates
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mathematical Sciences, George Mason University, 22030, Fairfax, Virginia
- 2. Institute of Physical Science and Technology, University of Maryland, 20742, College Park, Maryland
- 3. Santa Fe Institute, 87501, Santa Fe, New Mexico