Exponential separation and invariant bundles for maps in ordered Banach spaces with applications to parabolic equations
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A vector bundle morphism of a vector bundle with strongly ordered Banach spaces as fibers is studied. It is assumed that the fiber maps of this morphism are compact and strongly positive. The existence of two complementary, dimension-one and codimension-one, continuous subbundles invariant under the morphism is established. Each fiber of the first bundle is spanned by a positive vector (that is, a nonzero vector lying in the order cone), while the fibers of the other bundle do not contain a positive vector. Moreover, the ratio between the norms of the components (given by the splitting of the bundle) of iterated images of any vector in the bundle approaches zero exponentially (if the positive component is in the denominator). This is an extension of the Krein-Rutman theorem which deals with one compact strongly positive map only. The existence of invariant bundles with the above properties appears to be very useful in the investigation of asymptotic behavior of trajectories of strongly monotone discrete-time dynamical systems, as demonstrated by Poláčik and Tereščák (Arch. Ration. Math. Anal. 116, 339–360, 1991) and Hess and Poláčik (preprint). The present paper also contains some new results on typical asymptotic behavior in scalar periodic parabolic equations.
- Alikakos, N. D., and Fusco, G. (1991). A dynamical systems proof of the Krein-Rutman theorem and an extension of the Perron theorem.Proc. Roy. Soc. Edinburgh 117A, 209–214.
- Amann, H. (1985). Global existence for semilinear parabolic systems.J. reine angew. Math. 366, 47–89.
- Amann, H. (1987). On abstract parabolic fundamental solutions.J. Math. Soc. Jap. 39, 93–116.
- Brunovský, P., Poláčik, P., and Sandstede, B. (1992). Convergence in general periodic parabolic equations in one space dimension.Nonlin. Anal. 18, 209–215.
- Dancer, E. N., and Hess, P. (1991). Stability of fixed points for order-preserving discrete-time dynamical systems.J. reine angew. Math. 419, 125–139.
- Dancer, E. N., and Hess, P. Stable subharmonic solutions in periodic reaction-diffusion equations (preprint).
- Deimling, K. (1985).Nonlinear Functional Analysis, Springer-Verlag, Berlin-Heidelberg-New York.
- Henry, D. (1981).Geometric Theory of Semilinear Parabolic Equations, Lecture Notes in Mathematics 89, Springer-Verlag, New York.
- Hess, P. (1987). Spatial homogenity of stable solutions of some periodic-parabolic problems with Neumann boundary conditions.J. Diff. Eq. 68, 320–331.
- Hess, P. (1991).Periodic-Parabolic Boundary Value Problems and Positivity, Pitman Research Notes in Mathematics 247, Longman Scientific and Technical, New York.
- Hess, P., and Poláčik, P. Boundedness of prime periods of stable cycles and convergence to fixed points in discrete monotone dynamical systems (preprint).
- Hirsch, M. W. (1988). Stability and convergence in strongly monotone dynamical systems.J. reine angew. Math. 383, 1–58.
- Matano, H. (1979). Asymptotic behavior and stability of solutions of semilinear diffusion equations.Publ. Res. Inst. Math. Sci. 15, 401–454.
- Mierczyński, J. Flows on ordered bundles (preprint).
- Poláčik, P. (1989a). Convergence in smooth strongly monotone flows defined by semilinear parabolic equations.J. Diff. Eq. 79, 89–110.
- Poláčik, P. (1989b). Domains of attraction of equilibria and monotonicity properties of convergent trajectories in semilinear parabolic systems admitting strong comparison principle.J. reine angew. Math. 400, 32–56.
- Poláčik, P. Dynamics of scalar semilinear parabolic equations (preprint).
- Poláčik, P., and Tereščák, I. (1991). Convergence to cycles as a typical asymptotic behavior in smooth strongly monotone discrete-time dynamical systems.Arch. Ration. Mech. Anal. 116, 339–360.
- Protter, M. H., and Weinberger, H. F. (1967).Maximum Principles in Differential Equations, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ.
- Ruelle, D. (1979). Analycity properties of characteristic exponents of random matrix products.Ada. Math. 32, 68–80.
- Smith, H. L., and Thieme, H. R. (1990). Quasiconvergence and stability for strongly orderpreserving semiflows.SIAM J. Math. Anal. 21, 673–692.
- Smith, H. L., and Thieme, H. R. (1991). Convergence for strongly order-preserving semiflows.SIAM J. Math. Anal. 22, 1081–1101.
- Takáč, P. (1992a). Asymptotic behavior of strongly monotone time-periodic dynamical processes with symmetry.J. Diff. Eq. 100, 355–378.
- Takáč, P. (1992b). Linearly stable subharmonic orbits in strongly monotone time-periodic dynamical systems.Proc. Am. Math. Soc. (in press).
- Takáč, P. A construction of stable subharmonic orbits in monotone time-periodic dynamical systems (preprint).
- Temam, R. (1988).Infinite-Dimensional Dynamical Systems in Mechanics and Physics, Appl. Math. Sci. 68, Springer-Verlag, New York.
- Exponential separation and invariant bundles for maps in ordered Banach spaces with applications to parabolic equations
Journal of Dynamics and Differential Equations
Volume 5, Issue 2 , pp 279-303
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Vector bundle maps
- invariant subbundles
- exponential separation
- continuous separation
- positive operators
- strongly monotone dynamical systems
- periodic parabolic equations
- asymptotic behavior
- stable periodic solutions
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Center for Dynamical Systems and Nonlinear Studies, Georgia Institute of Technology, 30332, Atlanta, Georgia
- 2. Institute of Applied Mathematics, Comenius University, Mlynská dolina, 84215, Bratislava, Czechoslovakia
- 3. Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Comenius University, Mlynská dolina, 84215, Bratislava, Czechoslovakia