Recognition and avoidance of previously laid egg masses by the oblique-banded leafroller (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Investigations were conducted on oviposition by laboratory-reared oblique-banded leafrollers, Choristoneura rosaceana Harris. In paperbag oviposition chambers, females deposited their egg masses in a significantly nonrandom, uniform manner in 16 of 20 replicates. Inpetri dish oviposition chambers, gravid females were exposed to egg masses recently deposited by other females. As determined by the magnitude of the mean direction vector of the second egg mass in relation to the first, females detected and avoided egg masses laid by other females. In addition, they avoided waxed paper from which a recently oviposited egg mass had been removed. This phenomenon is most likely due to a pheromone laid down with each egg mass.
- Batschelet, E. (1981).Circular Statistics in Biology, Academic Press, New York.
- Clark, P. J., and Evans, F. C. (1954). Distance to nearest neighbor as a measure of spatial relationships in populations.Ecology 35: 445–453.
- Corbet, S. A. (1971). Mandibular gland secretion of larvae of the flour moth,Anagasta kuehniella, contains an epideictic pheromone and elicits oviposition movements in a hymenopteran parasite.Nature 232: 481–484.
- Dethier, V. G. (1959). Food-plant distribution and density and larval dispersal as factors affecting insect populations.Can. Entomol. 91: 581–596.
- Hilker, M. (1985). Larvenkot als eiblage-deterrens beiSpodoptera littoralis.Naturwissenschaften 72: 485–486.
- Jennings, D. T., Houseweart, M. W., and Dimond, J. B. (1983). Dispersal losses of early-instar spruce budworm (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae) larvae in strip clearcut and dense spruce-fir forests of Maine.Environ. Entomol. 12: 1787–1792.
- Judd, G. J. R., and Borden, J. H. (1988). Long-range host-finding behavior of the onion fly,Delia antiqua (Diptera: Anthomyiidae): ecological and physiological constraints.J. Appl. Ecol. 25: 829–846.
- Lewis, W. J., Nordlund, D. A., Gross, H. R., Jones, R. L., and Jones, S. L. (1977). Kairomones and their use for management of entomophagous insects. V. Moth scales as a stimulus for predation ofHeliothis zea eggs byChrysopa carnea larvae.J. Chem. Ecol. 3: 483–487.
- Mardia, K. V. (1972).Statistics of Directional Data, Academic Press, London.
- Poirier, L. M. (1989). Some effects of population density on the life history of the obliquebanded leafroller. MPM Professional Paper, Simon Fraser University.
- Prokopy, R. J. (1981a). Epideictic pheromones that influence spacing patterns of phytophagous insects. In Nordlund, D. A., Jones, R. L., and Lewis, W. J. (eds.),Semiochemicals: Their Role in Pest Control, Wiley Press, New York, pp. 181–213.
- Prokopy, R. J. (1981b). Oviposition-deterring pheromone system of apple maggot flies. In Mitchell, E. R. (ed.),Management of Insect Pests with Semiochemicals, Plenum Press, New York, pp. 477–494.
- Prokopy, R. J., Roitberg, B. D., and Averill, A. L. (1984). Resource partitioning. In Bell, W. J., and Carde, R. T. (eds.),Chemical Ecology of Insects, Chapman and Hall, New York, pp. 301–330.
- Renwick, J. A. A., and Radke, C. D. (1981). Host plant constituents as oviposition deterrents for the cabbage looper,Trichoplusia ni. Entomol. Exp. Appl.30: 201–204.
- Rothschild, M., and Schoonhoven, L. M. (1977). Assessment of egg load byPieris brassicae (Lepidoptera: Pieridae).Nature 266: 352–355.
- Schoonhoven, L. M., Beerling, E. A. M., Braaksma, R., and van Vugt, Y. (1990). Does the imported cabbageworm,Pieris rapae, use an oviposition deterring pheromone?J. Chem. Ecol. 16: 1649–1655.
- Zaborski, E., Teal, P. E. A., and Laing, J. E. (1987). Kairomone-mediated host-finding by spruce budworm egg parasite,Trichogramma minutum.J. Chem. Ecol. 13(1): 113–122.
- Recognition and avoidance of previously laid egg masses by the oblique-banded leafroller (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae)
Journal of Insect Behavior
Volume 4, Issue 4 , pp 501-508
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Choristoneura rosaceana
- oblique-banded leafroller
- oviposition-deterrent pheromone