Existence and stability of traveling waves in periodic media governed by a bistable nonlinearity
- Xue Xin
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We prove the existence of multidimensional traveling wave solutions of the bistable reaction-diffusion equation with periodic coefficients under the condition that these coefficients are close to constants. In the case of one space dimension, we prove their asymptotic stability.
- Aronson, D., and Weinberger, H. (1975). Nonlinear diffusion in population genetics, combustion, and nerve propagation.Lecture Notes in Mathematics, 446, Springer, New York, pp. 5–49.
- Bensoussan, A., Lions, J. L., and Papanicolaou, G. (1978).Asymptotic Analysis for Periodic Structures. Studies in Mathematics and Its Applications, Vol. 5, North-Holland, Amsterdam.
- Berestycki, H., and Nirenberg, L. (1990). Some qualitative properties of solutions of semi-linear elliptic equations in cylindrical domains, to appear.
- Berestycki, H., Nicolaenko, B., and Scheurer, B. (1985). Traveling wave solutions to combustion models and their singular limits.SIAM J. Math. Anal. 16(6), 1207–1242.
- Fife, P. C. (1979). Mathematical aspects of reacting and diffusing systems.Lecture Notes in Biomathematics, 28, Springer-Verlag, New York.
- Fife, P. C., and McLeod, J. B. (1977). The approach of solutions of nonlinear diffusion equations to travelling front solutions.Arch. Rat. Mech. Anal. 65, 355–361.
- Freidlin, M. (1985). Functional integration and partial differential equations.Annals of Mathematics Studies. Number 109, Princeton University Press, Princeton, N.J.
- Freidlin, M. (1985). Limit theorems for large deviations and reaction-diffusion equations.Ann. Prob. 13, No. 3, 639–675.
- Freidlin, M. I. (1986). Geometric optics approach to reaction-diffusion equations.SIAM J. Appl. Math. 46, No. 2, 222–232.
- Gartner, J. (1983). Bistable reaction-diffusion equations and excitable media.Math. Nachr. 112, 125–152.
- Gartner, J., and Freidlin, M. I. (1979). On the propagation of concentration waves in periodic and random media.Dokl. Acad. Nauk SSSR 249, 521–525.
- Goodman, J. (1986). Nonlinear asymptotic stability of viscous shock profiles for conservation laws.Arch. Rat. Mech. 95, 325–344.
- Henry, D. (1981). Geometric theory of semilinear parabolic equations.Lecture Notes in Mathematics, 840, Springer-Verlag, New York.
- Kanel, Ya. (1964). On the stabilization of solutions of the equations of the theory of combustion with initial data of compact support.Mat. Sbornik 65, 398–413.
- Kolmogorov, A., Petrovskii, I., and Piskunov, N. (1937). A study of the equation of diffusion with increase in the quantity of matter, and its application to a biological problem.Bjul. Moskovskogo Gos. Univ. 1(7), 1–26.
- Sattinger, D. (1976). On the stability of travelling waves.Adv. Math. 22, 312–355.
- Existence and stability of traveling waves in periodic media governed by a bistable nonlinearity
Journal of Dynamics and Differential Equations
Volume 3, Issue 4 , pp 541-573
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Bistable reaction-diffusion equation
- periodic media
- traveling waves
- spectral theory
- existence and stability
- Xue Xin (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences, 251 Mercer Street, 10012, New York, New York