A follow-up study of 201 children with autism in Kyushu and Yamaguchi areas, Japan
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A follow-up survey was conducted on 201 young adults with autism who were 18 or older (mean age, 21.5). All had participated previously in intensive therapeutic camping or had therapeutic involvement at medical consultation agencies to evaluate their outcome. Their social outcome was better than that previously reported in Japan. Although 31.5% had shown marked deterioration during adolescence, 43.2% had shown marked improvement during that period. Possible factors contributing to these results are discussed.
- American Psychiatric Association. (1987). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (3rd ed., rev.). Washington DC: Author.
- Chung, S. Y., Luk, S. L., & Lee, P. W. H. (1990). A follow-up study of infantile autism in Hong Kong.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 20, 221–232.
- Creak, M. (1963). Childhood psychosis.British Journal of Psychiatry, 109, 84–89.
- DeMyer, M. K., Barton, S., DeMeyer, W. E., Norton, J. A., Allen, J., & Steele, R. (1973). Prognosis in autism: A follow-up study.Journal of Autism and Childhood Schizophrenia, 3, 199–246.
- Deykin, E. Y., & MacMahon, B. (1979). The incidence of seizures among children with autistic symptoms.American Journal of Psychiatry, 136, 1310–1312.
- Eisenberg, L. (1956). The autistic child in adolescence.American Journal of Psychiatry, 112, 607–612.
- Frith, U. (1989).Autism: Explaining the enigma (pp. 51–67). Oxford: Basil Blackwell.
- Gillberg, C. (1989). Autism: Specific problems of adolescence. In C. Gillberg (ed.),Diagnosis and treatment of autism (pp. 375–382). New York: Plenum Press.
- Gillberg, C., & Schaumann, H. (1981). Infantile autism and puberty.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 11, 365–371.
- Gillberg, C., & Steffenburg, S. (1987). Outcome and prognostic factors in infantile autism and similar conditions: A population-based study of 46 cases followed through puberty.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 17, 273–287.
- Ishii, T. (1978). A long-term follow-up study of infantile autism [in Japanese].Japanese Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, 7, 907–912
- Kanner, L. (1943). Autistic disturbances of affective contact.Nervous Child, 2, 217–250.
- Kanner, L. (1971). Follow-up study of eleven autistic children: originally reported in 1943.Journal of Autism and childhood Schizophrenia, 1, 119–145.
- Kobayashi, R. (1985). A clinical study of the mental development and the clinical course of autistic children [in Japanese with English abstract].Psychiatria et Neurologia Japonica, 87, 546–582.
- Kobayashi, R. (1990).The psychosexual development of autistic children in adolescence. Paper presented at the 12th International Congress of International Association for Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Allied Professions, Kyoto, Japan.
- Kobayashi, R., & Murata, T. (1977). A consideration on the effects of therapeutic camping for autistic children [in Japanese with English abstract].Japanese Journal of Child Psychiatry, 18, 221–234.
- Kobayashi, R., & Murata, T. (1989). Qu'est-ce qui est important pour que des autisties deviennet à l'âge adulte indépendants ou capables de subvenir à leurs besoin? In C. Chiland & J. G. Young (Eds.),L'enfant dans sa famille—Nouvelles approaches de la santé mentale de la naissance à l'adolescence pour l'enfant et sa famille (pp. 333–346). Paris: P.U.F.
- Kobayashi, R., & Shinbo, Y. (1990). Psychoeducational approach to the mothers of autistic children in adolescence [in Japanese].Japanese Journal of Developmental Psychology and Medicine, 1, 91–97.
- Lord, C., Schopler, E., & Revick, D. (1982). Sex differences in autism.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 12, 317–330.
- Lotter, V. (1974a). Social adjustment and placement of autistic children in Middlesex: A follow-up study.Journal of Autism and Childhood schizophrenia, 4, 11–32.
- Lotter, V. (1974b). Factors related to outcome in autistic children.Journal of Autism and Childhood Schizophrenia, 4, 263–277.
- Maccoby, E. E., & Jacklin, C. N. (1980). Psychological sex differences. In M. Rutter (ed.),Scientific foundation of developmental psychiatry (pp. 92–100). London: Heinman.
- Mittler, P., Gilles, S., & Jukes, E. (1966). Prognosis in psychotic children: Report of a follow-up study.Journal of Mental Deficiency Research, 10, 73–83.
- Murata, T., Sarada, Y., Inoue, T., Toya, H., Tanaka, H., Fujiwara, M., Okuma, H., & Nawa, A. (1975). A group therapy for autistic children organized by volunteer activities [in Japanese with English abstract].Japanese Journal of Child Psychiatry, 16, 152–163.
- Ornitz, E. M. (1991). Developmental aspects of neurophysiology. In M. Lewis (Ed.),Child and adolescent psychiatry: A comprehensive textbook (pp. 38–51). Baltimore, MD: Williams & Wilkins.
- Pelling, H. (1989). Psychotherapeutical help in adolescence. In C. Gillberg (Ed.),Diagnosis and treatment of autism (pp. 413–418). New York: Plenum Press.
- Rutter, M., Greenfeld, D., & Lockyer, L. (1967). A five to fifteen year follow-up study of infantile psychosis; II. Social and behavioral outcome.British Journal of Psychiatry, 113, 1183–1199.
- Rutter, M., & Lockyer, L. (1967). A five to fifteen year follow-up study of infantile psychosis: I. Description of sample.British Journal of Psychiatry, 113, 1169–1182.
- Shirataki, S., Hanada, M., Kuromaru, S., Sugiura, Y., Uchida, S., Shimada, S., Masuda, I., Goto, T., & Yamada, T. (1984). Long-term follow-up study of 13 autistic children.Folia Psychiatrica et Neurologica, 38, 25–32.
- Soong, W. (1986).A follow-up study of autistic adolescents and adults in Taiwan: Speech, social and overall outcomes. Paper presented at the 6th annual meeting of Canadian Academy of Child Psychiatry, Whistler, B. C., Canada.
- Sumi, T. (1952). A case of Kanner's “early infantile autism’ [in Japanese].Psychiatrica et Neurological Japonica, 54, 566.
- Tamai, S. (1979).A follow-up study of infantile autism. Yokosuka: Educational Foundation for Physically and Mentally Handicapped Children.
- Tsai, L., Stewart, M. A., & August, G. (1981). Implication of sex differences in the familiar transmission of infantile autism.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 11, 165–173.
- Wakabayashi, S. (1980). Prognosis of infantile autism [in Japanese].Clinical Psychiatry, 22, 244–260.
- Wakabayashi, S., & Mizuno, M. (1975). A study on prognosis in autistic children [in Japanese with English abstract].Japanese Journal of Child Psychiatry, 16, 177–196.
- Wakabayashi, S., & Sugiyama, T. (1986). Autism in adults [in Japanese].Japanese Journal of Psychiatric Treatment, 1, 195–204.
- Wing, L. (1981). Sex ratio in early childhood autism and related conditions.Psychiatry Research, 5, 129–137.
- A follow-up study of 201 children with autism in Kyushu and Yamaguchi areas, Japan
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
Volume 22, Issue 3 , pp 395-411
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Faculty of Education, Oita University, 700 Dannoharu, 870-11, Oita, Japan
- 2. Department of Psychiatry, Fukuoka University School of Medicine, Japan
- 3. Research Laboratory for Social Medicine, Fukuoka University School of Medicine, Japan