Brief report: Parental age in infantile autism, autistic-like conditions, and borderline childhood psychosis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Grateful thanks are due to Fru Hermansen's Mindelegat, to the Gangsted-Rasmussen Fund for financial support, and to statistician J. Nyboe, Rigshospitalet, for help with the statistical analysis.
- Allen, J., DeMyer, M. K., Norton, J. A., Pontius, W., & Yang, E. (1971) Intellectuality in parents of psychotic, subnormal, and normal childrenJournal of Autism and Childhood Schizophrenia, 1, 311–326.
- Ando, H. & Tsuda, K. (1975) Intrafamilial incidence of autism, cerebral palsy, and mongolism.Journal of Autism and Childhood Schizophrenia, 5, 267–274.
- Brask, B. H. (1979). Psykoser. In M. Lomholt (Ed.),Børnepsykiatri [in Danish] (pp. 214–261). Copenhagen: Rosenkilde og Bagger.
- Coleman, M., & Gillberg, C. (1985).The biology of the autistic syndromes New York: Praeger.
- Creak, M., & Ini, S. (1960). Families of psychotic children.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 1, 156–175.
- Crow, T. J. (1987). Mutation and psychosis: A suggested explanation of seasonality of birth.Psychological Medicine, 17, 821–828.
- Deykin, E. Y., & MacMahon, B. (1980). Pregnancy, delivery, and neonatal complications among autistic children.American Journal of Diseases of Children, 134, 860–864.
- Finegang, J., & Quarrington, B. (1979). Pre-, peri-, and neonatal factors and infantile autism.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 20, 119–128.
- Gillberg, C. (1980). Maternal age and infantile autism.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 10, 293–297.
- Gillberg, C. (1982). Parental age in child psychiatric clinic attenders.Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, 66, 471–478.
- Gillberg, C. (1984a). On the relationship between epidemiological and clinical samples.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 14, 214–217.
- Gillberg, C. (1984b). Infantile autism and other childhood psychosis in a Swedish urban region. Epidemiological aspects.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 25, 35–43.
- Gillberg, C., Rasmussen, P., & Wahlstrøm, J. (1982). Minor neurodevelopmental disorders in children born to older mothers.Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, 24, 437–447.
- Hare, E. H., & Moran, P. A. P. (1979). Raised parental age in psychiatric patients: Evidence for the constitutional hypothesis.British Journal of Psychiatry, 134, 169–177.
- Lotter, V. (1967). Epidemiology of autistic conditions in young children. II. Some characteristics of the parents and children.Social Psychiatry, 1, 163–173.
- O'Moore, M. (1972). A study of the aetiology of autism from a study of birth and family characteristics.Journal of the Irish Medical Association, 65, 114–120.
- Petti, T. A., & Vela, R. M. (1990). Borderline disorders of childhood: An overview.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 29, 327–337.
- Rutter, M. (1977). Infantile autism and other child psychoses. In M. Rutter & Hersov, L. (Eds.),Child psychiatry. Modern approaches (pp. 717–747). London: Scientific Publications.
- Rutter, M., & Schopler, E. (1987). Autism and pervasive developmental disorders: concepts and diagnostic issues.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 17, 159–186.
- SPSS Inc. (1982).Statistical Package for the Social Sciences (version 8.3). New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Steffenburg, S., & Gillberg, C. (1986). Autism and autistic-like conditions in Swedish rural and urban areas: A population study.British Journal of Psychiatry, 149, 81–87.
- Steinhausen, H., Gøbel, D., Breinlinger, M., & Wohlleben, B. (1984). Maternal age and autistic children.Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, 5, 343–345.
- Torrey, E. F., Hersh, S. P., & McCabe, K. D. (1975). Early childhood psychosis and bleeding during pregnancy. A prospective study of gravid women and their offspring.Journal of Autism and Childhood Schizophrenia, 5, 287–297.
- Treffert, D. A. (1970). Epidemiology of infantile autism.Archives of General Psychiatry, 22, 431–438.
- Tsai, L. Y., & Stewart, M. A. (1983). Etiological implication of maternal age and birth order in infantile autism.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 13, 57–65.
- Wergeland, H. (1979). A follow-up study of 29 borderline psychotic children 5–20 years after discharge.Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica 60, 465–476.
- Wiedel, L., & Coleman, M. (1976). The autistic and control population of this study. Demographic, historical and attitudinal data. In M. Coleman (Ed.),The autistic syndromes (pp. 11–20), Amsterdam: North-Holland.
- Wing, L. (1980). Childhood autism and social class: A question of selection?British Journal of Psychiatry, 137, 410–417.
- Wing, L. (1991). The relationship between Asperger's syndrome and Kanner's autism. In Frith, U. (Ed.),Autism and Asperger syndrome (pp. 93–121). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Wolff, S., & Barlow, A. (1979). Schizoid personality in childhood: A comparative study of schizoid, autistic and normal children.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 20, 29–46.
- Wolff, S., & Chick, J. (1980). Schizoid personality in childhood: A controlled follow-up study.Psychological Medicine, 10, 85–100.
- World Health Organization (1978).International classification of diseases: Mental disorders: glossary and guide to their classification (9th rev.) Geneva: World Health Organization.
- Zaremba, J. (1985). Recent medical research. In D. Lane & B. Stratford (Eds.),Current approaches to Down's syndrome (pp. 27–53) London: Holt, Rinehart and Winston.
- Brief report: Parental age in infantile autism, autistic-like conditions, and borderline childhood psychosis
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
Volume 23, Issue 2 , pp 387-396
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors