A structured parent interview for identifying young children with autism
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study evaluated the psychometric properties of the Parent Interview for Autism (PIA), a structured interview for gathering diagnostic information from parents of young children with autism. Internal consistency was evaluated in a sample of 165 children under 6 years old, and test-retest reliability and construct validity were evaluated in subsamples of the original group. Results revealed internal consistency and test-retest reliability above. 60 for 9 of the 11 dimensions constituting the PIA, as well as significant correlations between the PIA and other measures of autism. Six of the PIA dimensions differentiated a group of young children with autism from a developmentally comparable group with mental retardation. Implications of these findings and suggestions for future research are discussed.
- Achenbach, T. M., McConaughy, S. H., & Howell, C. T. (1987). Child/adolescent behavioral and emotional problems: Implications of cross-informant correlations for situational specificity.Psychological Bulletin, 101, 213–232.
- Aitken, K. (1991). Diagnostic issues in autism—Are we measuring the emperor for another suit of clothes?Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, 33, 1015–1020.
- American Psychiatric Association. (1987).Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (3rd ed., rev.). Washington, DC: Author.
- Borden, M. C., & Ollendick, T. H. (1992). The development and differentiation of social subtypes in autism. In B. B. Lahey & A. E. Kazdin (Eds.),Advances in clinical child psychology (Vol. 11, pp. 61–106). New York: Plenum Press.
- Campbell, S. B., Szumwski, E. K., Ewing, L. J., Gluck, D. S., & Breaux, A. M. (1982). A multidimensional assessment of parent-identified behavior problem toddlers.Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 10, 569–592.
- Dahlgren, S. O., & Gillberg, C. (1989). Symptoms in the first two years of life.European Archives of Psychiatry and Neurological Science, 238, 169–174.
- Dulcan, M. K., Costello, E. J., Costello, A. J., Edelbrock C., Brent, D., & Janiszwski, S. (1990). The pediatrician as gatekeeper to mental health care for children: Do parents' concerns open the gate?Journal of the American Academy of Child, and Adolescent Psychiatry, 29, 453–458.
- Gillberg, C., Ehlers, S., Schaumann, H., Jakobsson, G., Dahlgren, S. O., Lindbolm, R., Bagenholm, A., Tjuus, T., & Blidner, E. (1990). Autism under age 3 years: A clinical study of 28 cases referred for autistic symptoms in infancy.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 31, 921–934.
- Glascoe, F. P., MacLean, W. E., & Stone, W. L. (1991). The importance of parents' concerns about their child's behavior.Clinical Pediatrics, 30, 8–11.
- Hobson, R. P. (1991). What is autism?Psychiatric Clinics of North America, 14, 1–17.
- Hoshino, Y., Kumashiro, H., Yashima, Y., Tachibana, R., Watanabe, M., & Furukawa, H. (1982). Early symptoms of autistic children and its diagnostic significance.Folia Psychiatrica et Neurologica, 36, 367–374.
- Hoyson, M., Jamieson, B., & Strain, P. S. (1984, Summer). Individualized group instruction of normally developing and autistic-like children: The LEAP curriculum model.Journal of the Division for Early Childhood, 157–172.
- Krug, D. A., Arick, J. R., & Almond, P. J. (1980). Behavior checklist for identifying severely handicapped individuals with high levels of autistic hehavior.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 21, 221–229.
- Le Couteur, A., Rutter, M., Lord, C., Rios, P., Robertson, S., Holdgrafer, M., & McLennan, J. (1989). Autism Diagnostic Interview: A standardized investigator-based instrument.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 19, 363–387.
- Lord, C. (1991a). Methods and measures of behavior in the diagnosis of autism and related disorders.Psychiatric Clinics of North America, 14, 69–80.
- Lord, C. (1991b, April).Follow-ups of two-years-olds referred for possible autism. Paper presented at the meeting of the Society for Research in Child Development, Seattle, WA.
- Lovaas, O. I. (1987). Behavioral treatment and normal educational and intellectual functioning in young autistic children.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 55, 3–9.
- Marcus, L., & Baker, A. (1986). Assessment of autistic children. In R. J. Simeonsson (Ed.),Psychological and developmental assessment of special children (pp. 279–304)., Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
- Mednick, S. A., & Schaffer, J. B. (1963). Mothers' retrospective reports in child-rearing research.American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 33, 457–461.
- Morgan, S. (1988). Diagnostic assessment of autism: A review of objective scales.Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment, 6, 139–151.
- Ohta, M., Nagai, Y., Hara, H., & Sasaki, M. (1987). Parental perception of behavioral symptoms in Japanese autistic children.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 17, 549–563.
- Ornitz E. M., Guthrie, D., & Farley, A. J. (1978). The early symptoms of childhood autism. In G. Serban (Ed.),Cognitive defects in the development of mental illness (pp. 24–42). New York: Brunner/Mazel.
- Parks, S. L. (1983). The assessment of autistic children: A selective review of available instruments.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 13, 255–267.
- Rimland, B. (1971). The differentiation of childhood psychoses: An analysis of checklists for 2,218 psychotic children.Journal of Autism and Childhood Schizophrenia, 1, 161–174.
- Robbins, L. C. (1963). The accuracy of parental recall of aspects of child development and of child rearing practices.Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, 66, 261–270.
- Rogers, S. J., & Lewis, H. (1989). An effective day treatment model for young children with pervasive developmental disorders.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 28, 207–214.
- Rutter, M. (1978). Diagnosis and definition of childhood autism.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 8, 139–161.
- Rutter, M., & Schopler, E. (1987). Autism and pervasive developmental disorders: Concepts and diagnostic issues.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 17, 159–186.
- Schopler, E. (1983). New developments in the definition and diagnosis of autism. In B. B. Lahey & A. E. Kazdin (Eds.)Advances in clinical child psychology (Vol. 6, pp. 93–127). New York: Plenum Press.
- Schopler, E., Reichler, R. J. & Renner, B. R. (1986).The Childhood Autism Rating Scale (CARS) for diagnostic screening and classification of autism. New York: Irvington.
- Schreibman, L., & Charlop, M. H. (1987). Autism. In V. B. Van Hasselt & M. Hersen (Eds.),Psychological evaluation of the developmentally and physically disabled (pp. 155–177). New York: Plenum Press.
- Sevin, J. A., Matson, J. L., Coe, D. A., Fee, V. E. & Sevin, B. M. (1991). A comparison of three commonly used autism scales.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 21, 417–432.
- Siegel, B., Pliner, C., Eschler, J., & Elliott, G. R. (1988). How children with autism are diagnosed: Difficulties in identification of children with multiple developmental delays.Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, 9, 199–204.
- Siegel, B., Vukicevic, J., & Spitzer, R. L. (1990). Using signal detection methodology to revise DSM-III-R: Re-analysis of the DSM-III-R national field trials for autistic disorder.Journal of Psychiatric Research, 24, 293–311.
- Stone, W. L. (1987). Cross-disciplinary perspectives on autism.Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 12, 615–630.
- Stone, W. L., & Rosenbaum, J. L. (1988). A comparison of teacher and parent views of autism.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 18, 403–414.
- Strain, P. S., Hoyson, M., & Jamieson, B. (1985). Normally developing preschoolers as intervention agents for autistic-like children: Effects on class deportment and social interaction.Journal of the Division for Early Childhood, Spring, 105–115.
- Sturmey, P., Matson, J. L., & Sevin, J. A. (1992). Brief report: Analysis of the internal consistency of three autism scales.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 22, 321–328.
- Teal, M. B., & Wiebe, M. J. (1986). A validity analysis of selected instruments used to assess autism.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 16, 485–494.
- Wing, L. (1969). The handicaps of autistic children—A comparative study.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 10, 1–40.
- Wing, L. (1981). Language, social, and cognitive impairments in autism and severe mental retardation.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 11, 31–44.
- Wing, L. & Gould, J. (1979). Severe impairments of social interaction and associated abnormalities in children: Epidemiology and classification.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 9, 11–29.
- Wolf, E. G., Friedman, E., & Cohen, I. (1982).Autism Descriptors Checklist. Unpublished manuscript, Institute for Basic Research in Developmental Disabilities, Staten Island, NY.
- Zahner, G. E. P., & Pauls, D. L. (1987). Epidemiological surveys of infantile autism. In D. J. Cohen & A. M. Donnellan (Eds.),Handbook of autism and pervasive developmental disorders (pp. 199–207) Silver Spring, MD: Winston.
- A structured parent interview for identifying young children with autism
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
Volume 23, Issue 4 , pp 639-652
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors