Does cold winter weather produce depressive symptoms?
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
To examine whether harsh winter weather is associated with depressive symptoms, 45 healthy subjects from Minnesota were compared to 42 subjects from California near the end of the winter season. No differences in the prevalence of depressive symptoms were found between the two groups.
- Christensen R (1982) Alaskan winters: a mental health hazard? Alaska Med 24:89
- Christensen R, Dowrick PW (1983) Myths of midwinter depression. Alaska Med 25:53–54
- Hollon SD, Kendall PC, Lumry A (1986) Specificity of depressotypic cognitions in clinical depressions. J Abnorm Psychol 95:52–59
- Krueger AP, Reed EJ (1976) Biological impact of small air ions. Science 193:1209–1213
- Large WA, Johnson FN (1980) Psychiatric diagnosis on acute admission related to prevailing weather conditions. Psychiatr Clin 13:90–95
- Mawson D, Smith A (1981) Relative humidity and mania admissions in the London area. Br J Psychiatry 138:134–138
- Rosenthal NE, Sack DA, Wehr TA (1983) Seasonal variation in affective disorders. In: Wehr TA, Goodwin FK (eds) Circadian rhythms in psychiatry. Boxwood Press, Pacific Grove, pp 185–201
- Rosenthal NE, Sack DA, Gillin JC, Lewy AJ, Goodwin FK, Davenport Y, Mueller PS, Newsome DA, Wehr TA (1984) Seasonal affective disorders. Arch Gen Psychiatry 41:72–84
- Sulman FG, Levy D, Pfeifer Y, Superstine E, Tal E (1974) Air ionometry of hot, dry desert winds (Sharav) and treatment with air ions of weather-sensitive sujects. Int J Biometeorol 18:313–318
- Does cold winter weather produce depressive symptoms?
International Journal of Biometeorology
Volume 32, Issue 2 , pp 144-146
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychiatry, VA Medical Center and the University of Iowa College of Medicine, 52242, Iowa City, IA, USA
- 2. Department of Psychiatry, University of Minnesota at St. Paul Ramsey Medical Center, 55101, St. Paul, MN, USA
- 3. Department of Psychiatry, University of California-Davis, 95817, Sacramento, CA, USA