Summer circulation patterns related to the upper tropospheric vortices over the Tropical South Atlantic
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Daily 200-hPa relative vorticity data have been used to study the dominant patterns related to the cyclonic vortices over the South Atlantic Ocean in the vicinities of northeast Brazil, during the 1980–1989 period. Reference modes were obtained through empirical orthogonal function (EOF) analysis of the 200-hPa filtered vorticity anomalies over northeast Brazil, considering all the southern hemisphere (SH) summers within the study period. The amplitude time series of the first reference mode, separately for each SH summer, was correlated with the corresponding filtered vorticity anomalies in a larger area extending from 20°N to 40°S and between 120°W and 20°W. The correlation patterns feature a wave-like structure along eastern South America, with three main centers: the first one, over the South Atlantic off the northeast Brazil coast, is associated with the cyclonic vortices; the second one, over eastern Brazil, represents the corresponding anomalously amplified ridges; and the third one, over southern Brazil/Uruguay, is related to the equatorward incursions of midlatitude upper level troughs. This wave-like pattern is consistent with the vortex formation mechanism suggested in previous works. Another wave-like pattern southwest-northeast oriented is evident over the tropical southeastern Pacific, for some years. The internannual variability of these patterns is discussed in this paper.
- Aragão, J. O., 1976: Um estudo da estrutura das perturbações sinóticas do Nordeste do Brasil. MSc. thesis in Meteorology. Available at Instituto Nacional de Pesquisas Espaciais, São José dos Campos, Brazil, 51 pp.
- Carlson, T. N., 1967: Structure of a steady-state cold low.Mon. Wea. Rev.,95, 763–777.
- Chen, G., Chou, L., 1993: An investigation of cold vortices in the upper troposphere over the western North Pacific during the warm season.Mon. Wea. Rev.,122, 1436–1448.
- DeMaria, M., 1985: Linear response of a stratified tropical atmosphere to convective forcing.J. Atmos. Sci.,42, 1944–1959.
- Duchon, C. E., 1979: Lanczos filtering in one and two dimensions.J. Appl. Meteor.,18, 1016–1022.
- Frank, N. L., 1970: On the energetics of cold lows. Proceedings of the Symposium on the Tropical Meteorology,Amer. Meteor. Soc. EIV I-EIV 6.
- Kayano, M. T., Rao, V. B., Moura, A. D., 1988: Tropical circulation and associated rainfall anomalies during 1983–1984.J. Climatol.,8, 477–488.
- Kelley, W. E., Mock, D. R., 1982: A diagnostic study of upper tropospheric cold lows over the western North Pacific.Mon. Wea. Rev.,110, 471–480.
- Kleeman, R., 1989: A modeling study of the effect of the Andes on summertime circulation of tropical South America.J. Atmos. Sci.,46, 3344–3362.
- Kousky, V. E., Gan, M. A., 1981: Upper tropospheric cyclonic vortices in the tropical South Atlantic.Tellus,33, 538–551.
- Kousky, V. E., Kayano, M. T., Cavalcanti, I. F. A., 1984: A review of the Southern Oscillation: Oceanic-atmospheric circulation changes and related rainfall anomalies.Tellus,36A, 490–502.
- Palmer, C. E., 1951: On high-level cyclones originating in the tropics.Transac. Amer. Geophys. Union. 32, 683–695.
- Panofsky, H. A., Brier, G. W., 1968:Some Applications of Statistics to Meteorology, University Park, PA: The Pennsylvania State University, 224 pp.
- Ramage, C. S., 1962: The subtropical cyclone.J. Geophys. Res.,67, 1401–1411.
- Ramírez, M. C. V., Kayano, M. T., Ferreira, N. J., 1997: Upper tropospheric vortices in the vicinities of northeast Brazil during the 1980–1989 period.Int. J. Climatol. (Submitted).
- Rao, V. B., Bonatti, J. P., 1987: On the origin of upper tropospheric cyclonic vortices in the South Atlantic Ocean and adjoining Brazil during the summer.Meteorol. Atmos. Phys.,37, 11–16.
- Riehl, H., 1954:Tropical Meteorology, New York: McGraw-Hill, 392 pp.
- Ropelewski, C. F., Halpert, M. S., 1987: Global and regional scale precipitation patterns associated with the El Niño/Southern Oscillation.Mon. Wea. Rev.,115, 1606–1626.
- Ropelewski, C. F., Halpert, M. S., 1989: Precipitation patterns associated with the high index phase of the Southern Oscillation.J. Climate,3, 268–284.
- Silva Dias, P. L., Schubert, W. H., DeMaria, M., 1983: Large-scale response of the tropical atmosphere to transient convection.J. Atmos. Sci.,40, 2689–2707.
- Simpson, R. H., 1952: Evolution of the Kona storm, a subtropical cyclone.J. Meteor.,9, 24–35.
- Virji, H., 1981: A preliminary study of summer time tropospheric circulation patterns over South America estimated from cloud winds.Mon. Wea. Rev.,109, 599–610.
- Summer circulation patterns related to the upper tropospheric vortices over the Tropical South Atlantic
Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics
Volume 64, Issue 3-4 , pp 203-213
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links