On measures of information and inaccuracy
- Inder Jeet Taneja
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The Kullback relative-information measure and Kerridge's inaccuracy measure and their generalized forms are consequences of different forms of the branching property that these measures are required to satisfy. We consider a seemingly more generalized form and show that it does not lead to new measures. We also form a functional equation in two variables through this generalized branching property and show that this leads to the same result.
- J. Aczél,Lectures on Functional Equations and ther Applications, Academic Press, New York (1966).
- L. L. Campbell, Characterization of Entropy of Probability Distributions on the Real Line,Information and Control 21:329–338 (1972).
- A. Hobson, A New Theorem of Information Theory,J. Stat. Phys. 1:383–391 (1969).
- Pl. Kannappan, On Shannon's Entropy, Directed-Divergence and Inaccuracy,Z. Wahrs. Verw Geb. 22:95–100 (1972).
- Pl. Kannappan and C. T. Ng, Measurable Solutions of Functional Equations Related to Information Theory,Proc. Am. Math. Soc. 38:303–310 (1973).
- D. F. Kerridge, Inaccuracy and Inference,J. Royal Statist. Soc. Ser. B 23:184–194 (1961).
- S. Kullback,Information Theory and Statistics, Wiley, New York (1959).
- P. N. Rathie and Pl. Kannappan, A Directed-Divergence Function of Type β,Information and Control 20:38–45 (1972).
- B. D. Sharma and Ram Autar, On Characterization of a Generalized Inaccuracy Measure in Information Theory,J. Appl. Prob. 10:464–468 (1973).
- B. D. Sharma and Ram Autar, Relative-Information Functions and their Type (α, β) Generalizations,Metrika 21:41–50 (1973).
- B. D. Sharma and I. J. Taneja, On Axiomatic Characterization of Information-Theoretic Measures,J. Stat. Phys. 10:337–346 (1974).
- R. S. Soni, On a Functional Equation Connected with Information and Information-Improvement,Indian J. Pure Appl. Math. (to be published).
- I. J. Taneja, A Joint Characterization of Directed-Divergence, Inaccuracy, and their Generalizations,J. Stat. Phys. 11(2):169–176 (1974).
- On measures of information and inaccuracy
Journal of Statistical Physics
Volume 14, Issue 3 , pp 263-270
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Information theory
- branching property
- relative-information measure
- inaccuracy measure
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mathematics, University of Delhi, Delhi, India