Overt integrity tests versus personality-based measures of delinquency: An empirical comparison
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study examined the ability of both an overt integrity test and a personality-based measure of delinquency to predict on-the-job theft and counterproductivity. A heterogeneous sample of 105 employees anonymously completed both tests and a criterion checklist that included a 9-item theft subscale and a 12-item counterproductivity subscale. Results indicated that the overt integrity test was a superior predictor of both on-the-job theft and drug abuse compared to the personality-based measure. The overt integrity test was also a slightly better predictor of general counterproductivity. These findings and their implications are discussed.
- Ajzen, I., & Fishbein, M. Attitude-behavior relations: A theoretical analysis and review of empirical research.Psychological Bulletin, 1977,84, 888–918.
- Akers, R., Krohn, M., Lanza-Kaduce, L., & Radosevich, M. Social learning and deviant behavior: a specific test of a general theory.Sociological Review, 1979,44, 636–655.
- Ash, P. (1987)A summary of personality-based measures of counterproductivity. Unpublished manuscript.
- Ash, P. (1988)A history of honesty testing. Paper presented at the 1988 convention of the American Psychological Association, Atlanta, GA.
- Bay State Psychological Associates, Inc. (1986)Employee Reliability Inventory. Boston, MA.
- Cronbach, L.J. (1970)Essentials of psychological testing, Harper and Row, New York, 500–514.
- Gough, H.G. (1971) The assessment of wayward impulse by means of the Personnel Reaction Blank.Personnel Psychology, 24, 669–677.
- Gough, H.G. (1972)Manual for the Personnel Reaction Blank. Palo Alto, CA: Consulting Psychologists Press.
- Gough, H.G. (1986)California Psychological Inventory. Palo Alto, CA: Consulting Psychologists Press.
- Hogan, J., & Hogan, R. (1986)Hogan Personnel Selection Series Manual. Minneapolis, MN: National Computer Systems.
- Jones, J.W. (1980) Attitudinal correlates of employees' deviance: Theft, alcohol use, and nonprescribed drug use.Psychological Reports, 47, 71–77.
- Jones, J.W. (1981) Attitudinal correlates of employee theft of drugs and hospital supplies among nursing personnel.Nursing Research, 30, 351–359.
- Jones, J.W., & Terris, W. (1981)Predictive validation of a dishonesty test that measures theft proneness. Paper presented at the 18th Interamerican Congress of Psychology, Santa Domingo, The Dominican Republic.
- Jones, J.W., & Terris, W. (1983) Predicting employees' theft in home improvement centers.Psychological Reports, 52, 187–201.
- Jones, J.W., & Terris, W. (1985) Screening employment applicants for attitudes toward theft: three quasi-experiments.International Journal of Management, 2, 62–72.
- Joy, D. (1988)The use of the Personnel Selection Inventory to reduce employee theft. Technical Report No. 51, Park Ridge, IL: London House Press.
- London House, Inc. (1980)The Personnel Selection Inventory (PSI). Park Ridge, IL: London House Press.
- McDaniel, M.A., & Jones, J.W. (1988) Predicting employee theft: a quantitative review of a standardized measure of dishonesty.Journal of Business and Psychology, 2, 327–345.
- Norusis, M.J. (1986)SPSS/PC + for the IBM PC/XT/AT. Chicago, IL: SPSS Inc.
- Paajanen, G.E. (1986)Development and validation of the PDI Employment Inventory. Paper presented at the 94th Annual Convention of the American Psychological Association, Washington, D.C.
- Sackett, P.R., & Harris, M.E. (1984) Honesty testing for personnel selection: A review and critique.Personnel Psychology, 37, 221–246.
- Sackett, P.R., Burris, L.R., & Callahan, C. (1988)Integrity testing for personnel selection: An update. Unpublished manuscript.
- Schuessler, K., & Cressey, D. (1950). Personality characteristics of criminals.American Journal of Sociology, 55, 476–484.
- Steiger, J.H. (1980) Tests for comparing elements of a correlation matrix.Psychological Bulletin, 87, 245–251.
- Terris, W. (1979a) Attitudinal correlates of employee integrity: Theft-related admissions made in pre-employment polygraph examinations.Journal of Security Administration, 2, 30–39.
- Terris, W. (1979b)Attitudinal correlates of theft, violence, and drug abuse. Paper presented at the 17th Interamerican Congress of Psychology, Lima, Peru.
- Terris, W. (1985) Attitudinal correlates of employee integrity.Journal of Police and Criminal Psychology, 1, 60–68.
- Overt integrity tests versus personality-based measures of delinquency: An empirical comparison
Journal of Business and Psychology
Volume 3, Issue 3 , pp 269-277
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors