Hydrogen production during zinc deposition from alkaline zincate solutions
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The determination of the amount of hydrogen produced during the electrodeposition of zinc from alkaline zincate solutions was carried out using the rotating ring-disc electrode (RRDE) technique. The experimental conditions for which the RRDE technique offers reliable results are discussed. Hydrogen production during zinc deposition was studied for a range of cathodic (disc) current densities (20–500 A m−2) and electrolyte compositions (1–7 M KOH, 0.01–0.2 M zincate). It was found that an increasing amount of hydrogen was formed with increasing (disc) current density and decreasing KOH and zincate concentration. The impact of hydrogen formation during the charging process on nickel oxide/zinc secondary battery performance is expected to be small. It is concluded that in battery electrolytes (8 M KOH, 1 M zincate) hydrogen is formed chiefly by corrosion of the zinc electrode rather than by electrochemical formation during the electrochemical reduction of zinc.
- E. J. Frazer and T. Lwin,J. Appl. Electrochem. 17 (1987) 453.
- T. Biegler and E. J. Frazer,16 (1986) 654.
- E. J. Frazer and I. C. Hamilton,16 (1986) 387.
- A. C. Beshore, B. F. Flori, G. Schade and T. J. O'Keefe,17 (1987) 765.
- M. M. Jaksic,Surf. Coat. Tech. 29 (1986) 95.
- J. St Pierre and D. J. Piron,J. Appl. Electrochem. 16 (1986) 447.
- G. D. Wilcox and P. J. Mitchell,Trans. Inst. Met. Finish. 65 (1987) 76.
- G. T. Rogers and K. J. Taylor,J. Electroanal. Chem. 167 (1984) 251.
- R. N. Snyder and J. J. Lander,J. Electrochem. Technol. 3 (1965) 161.
- T. P. Dirkse and R. Timmer,J. Electrochem. Soc. 116, (1969) 162.
- V. S. Muralidharan and K. S. Rajagopalan,J. Electroanal. Chem. 94 (1978) 21.
- A. van der Putten, PhD Thesis, Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands (1987) Ch. 3.
- W. J. Albery and S. Bruckenstein,Trans. Faraday Soc. 62 (1966) 1920.
- L. M. Baugh, F. L. Tye and N. I. White, ‘Power Sources’ No. 9 (edited by J. Thomson), Academic Press, London (1983) p. 303.
- Z. A. Iofa, L. V. Komlev and V. S. Bagotskii,Russ. J. Phys. Chem. 35 (1961) 770.
- T. S. Lee,J. Electrochem. Soc. 118 (1971) 1278.
- C. Cachet, B. Saidani and R. Wiart, 38th Meeting of the Int. Soc. of Electrochem., Maastricht, The Netherlands, ‘Extended Abstracts’, Vol. I, p. 322.
- Solubility Data Series, Vol 5/6, ‘Hydrogen and Deuterium’, (edited by C. L. Young), Pergamon Press, Oxford (1981).
- A. J. Bard and L. R. Faulkner, ‘Electrochemical Methods,’ Wiley, New York (1980).
- Hydrogen production during zinc deposition from alkaline zincate solutions
Journal of Applied Electrochemistry
Volume 18, Issue 6 , pp 799-806
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors