State lotteries and compulsive gambling
- Valerie C. Lorenz Ph.D.
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The legalization of gambling, including state lotteries, has resulted in a dramatic increase of compulsive gambling. Not surprisingly, a new profile of compulsive gambler has emerged which differs significantly from the previous profile of white, middle aged, middle class male. This paper discusses public policy issues, lottery advertising, and legislative/lottery support given to address the problems of compulsive gambling.
- Braidfoot, L. (1988, Winter). Legalization of lotteries in the 1980s.Journal of Gambling Behavior, 4, (4), 282–290.
- Branch, T. (January 1990). What's wrong with the lotteries? Let us count the ways.New England Monthly, 7(1), 40–49.
- Commission on the Review of the National Policy Toward Gambling. (1976).Gambling in America. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Printing Office.
- Culleton, R.P. (1985).A survey of pathological gamblers in the State of Ohio. Philadelphia: Transition Planning Associates.
- Custer, R.L. & Custer, L.F. (1978).Characteristics of the recovering gambler: A survey of 150 members of Gamblers Anonymous. Paper presented at the Fourth Annual Conference on Gambling, Reno, Nevada, (December).
- Kaplan, H.R. (1978).Lottery winners: How they won and how winning changed their lives. New York: Harper & Row.
- Lesieur, H.R. (1984).The chase: Career of the compulsive gambler. Cambridge, MA: Schenkman Books.
- Lorenz, V.C. (1989a).Final Report. The Compulsive Gambling Hotline. Baltimore: National Center for Pathological Gambling, Inc. (July).
- Lorenz, V.C. (1989b). Compulsive gambling and the expert witness.Journal of Forensic Sciences, 34, 2, 423–432 (March).
- Lorenz, V.C. (1990a).Gamblers Anonymous of Maryland Survey: A report submitted to the Task Force on Gambling Addiction. Baltimore: Author.
- Lorenz, V.C. (1990b).Profile of compulsive gamblers from Maryland in treatment. Baltimore: National Center for Pathological Gambling, Inc., (July).
- Lorenz, V.C. (1990c). Findings of survey of Gam-Anon members in Maryland.Report of the Task Force on Gambling Addiction. Baltimore: Task Force on Gambling Addiction.
- Lorenz, V.C. (1990d).Final Report. The Compulsive Gambling Hotline, FY90. Baltimore: National Center for Pathological Gambling, Inc. (August).
- Lorenz, V.C. & Shuttlesworth, D.E. (1983). The impact of pathological gambling on the spouse of the gambler.Journal of Community Psychology, 11, (January), 67–76.
- Roston, R. (1961).Some personality characteristics of male compulsive gamblers. Ph.D. dissertation, University of California-Los Angeles.
- Volberg, R.A. & Steadman, H.J. (1989). Prevalence estimates of pathological gambling in New Jersey and Maryland.American Journal of Psychiatry, 146, 1618–1619.
- State lotteries and compulsive gambling
Journal of Gambling Studies
Volume 6, Issue 4 , pp 383-396
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. National Center for Pathological Gambling, Inc., 924-26 East Baltimore Street, 21202, Baltimore, Maryland