State lotteries and compulsive gambling
- Valerie C. LorenzAffiliated withNational Center for Pathological Gambling, Inc.
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The legalization of gambling, including state lotteries, has resulted in a dramatic increase of compulsive gambling. Not surprisingly, a new profile of compulsive gambler has emerged which differs significantly from the previous profile of white, middle aged, middle class male. This paper discusses public policy issues, lottery advertising, and legislative/lottery support given to address the problems of compulsive gambling.
- State lotteries and compulsive gambling
Journal of Gambling Studies
Volume 6, Issue 4 , pp 383-396
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. National Center for Pathological Gambling, Inc., 924-26 East Baltimore Street, 21202, Baltimore, Maryland