Bioassays of segregating plants
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Solanum chacoense is a wild potato species resistant to the Colorado potato beetle,Leptinotarsa decemlineata. Most genotypes ofS. chacoense synthesize the glycoalkaloids solanine (sol) and chaconine (chac) and are hosts of the beetle. A few rare genotypes have a gene(s) for acetylation of carbon-23 of the steroid aglycone of sol and chac. Laboratory bioassays and replicated field tests of clones differing in the presence or absence of the acetyl moiety showed that acetylation of sol and chac markedly affects the response of both adults and larvae to the foliage. Adult feeding deterrency conferred by acetylated forms of sol and chac (leptines) in leaf-disk preference tests was consistent with the degree of antixenosis measured in the field. Development of larvae on foliage of clones with leptines was also inhibited. The studies support the validity of using laboratory bioassays of plants segregating for levels of a suspected defense compound to determine the role the compound has in defending the plant from attack by an insect predator in the field.
- Bongers, W. 1970. Aspects of host-plant relationship of the Colorado beetle.Meded. Landbouwhogesch. Wageningen. 70:1–77.
- Cantelo, W.W., Douglass, L.W., Sanford, L.L., Sinden, S.L., andDeahl, K.L. 1987. Measuring resistance to the Colorado potato beetle in potato.J. Entomol. Sci. 22:245–252.
- Dimock, M.B., andTingey, W.M. 1985. Resistance inSolanum spp. to the Colorado potato beetle: Mechanisms, genetic resources, and potential, pp. 79–106,in D.N. Ferro and R.H. Voss (eds.). Proc. Symp. on the Colorado potato beetle, XVIIth Int. Cong. Entomol., Mass. Agric. Exp. Sta. Bull. 704.
- Dimock, M.B., LaPointe, S.L., andTingey, W.M. 1986.Solanum neocardenasii: A new source of potato resistance to the Colorado potato beetle.J. Econ. Entomol. 79:1269–1275.
- Hsiao, T.H. 1974. Chemical influence on feeding behavior ofLeptinotarsa beetles, pp. 239–248,in L. Barton Browne (ed.). Experimental Analysis of Insect Behaviour. Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
- Kuhn, R., andLow, I. 1961. Zur Konsitution des Leptins.Chem. Ber. 94:1088–1095.
- McCollum, G.D., andSinden, S.L. 1978. Inheritance study of tuber glycoalkaloids inSolanum chacoense.Am. Potato J. 56:95–113.
- Mitchell, B.K., andHarrison, G.D. 1985. Effects ofSolanum glycoalkaloids on chemosensilla in the Colorado potato beetle. A mechanism of feeding deterrence?J. Chem. Ecol. 11:73–83.
- Osman, S.F., Sinden, S.L., Deahl, K., andMoreau, R. 1987. Metabolism of solanidine by microsomal fractions fromSolanum chacoense.Phytochemistry 26:3163–3165.
- Rosenthal, G.A. 1986. The chemical defenses of higher plants.Sci. Am. 254:94–99.
- Sanford, L.L., andSinden, S.L. 1972. Inheritance of potato glycoalkaloids.Am. Potato J. 49:209–217.
- Schalk, J.M., andStoner, A.K. 1976. A bioassay differentiates resistance to the Colorado potato beetle on tomatoes.J. Am. Soc. Hortic. Sci. 101:74–76.
- Schreiber, K. 1968. Steroid alkaloids: TheSolanum group, pp. 1–192,in R.H.F, Manske (ed.). The Alkaloids. Academic Press, New York.
- Sinden, S.L., Sanford, L.L., andOsman, S.F. 1980. Glycoalkaloids and resistance to the Colorado potato beetle inSolanum chacoense Bitt.Am. Potato J. 57:331–343.
- Sinden, S.L., Sanford, L.L., andDeahl, K.L. 1986a. Segregation of leptine glycoalkaloids inSolanum chacoense Bitter.J. Agric. Food Chem. 34:372–377.
- Sinden, S.L., Sanford, L.L., Cantelo, W.W., andDeahl, K.L. 1986b. Leptine glycoalkaloids and resistance to the Colorado potato beetle (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) inSolanum chacoense.Environ. Entomol. 15:1057–1062.
- Sturckow, B., andLow, I. 1961. Die Wirkung einiger Solanum-Alkaloidglykoside auf den Kartoffelkafer,Leptinotarsa decemlineata Say.Entomol. Exp. Appl. 4:133–142.
- Tingey, W.M. 1984. Glycoalkaloids as pest resistance factors.Am. Potato J. 61:157–167.
- Torka, M. 1950. Breeding potatoes with resistance to the Colorado potato beetle.Am. Potato J. 27:263–271.
- Bioassays of segregating plants
Journal of Chemical Ecology
Volume 14, Issue 10 , pp 1941-1950
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- insect resistance
- Colorado potato beetle
- Leptinotarsa decemlineata
- Solanum chacoense
- Solanum tuberosum
- Industry Sectors