Impurities and staining characteristics of Alcian Blue samples
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The composition of various samples of Alcian Blue* and related dyes was studied, using t.l.c. (with cellulose as adsorbent andn-butanol: acetic acid: water as developing solvent), solvent extraction and precipitation, i.r. spectroscopy and classical semimicro analysis. All the Alcian Blue samples appeared to contain the same coloured components. The Alcian Green samples were mixtures of these blue components and Alcian Yellow. All the Astra Blue samples examined were composed of the same blue constituents. Colourless components identified were boricacid, dextrin and sulphate and sometimes amounted to nearly three-quarters by weight of the crude dyes. Impurities had only a slight effect on staining with Alcian Blue in aqueous acetic acid but appreciably affected staining by the critical electrolyte concentration (C.E.C.) procedure. Dextrin as impurity raised C.E.C. limits while the inorganic salt impurities raised the C.E.C. values of some substrates and lowered those of others.
- Baer, D. R. (1971). Cationic dyes for synthetic fibres, pp. 161–210 inThe Chemistry of Synthetic Dyes, Volume 4, ed. K. Venkataraman. New York: Academic Press.
- Benes, K. &Uhlirova, S. (1966). Staining plant tissues with Alcian Blue (the affinity of alcian blue to polysaccharides).Comm. Czech. Soc. Histochem. 1, 17–24.
- Horobin, R. W. (1970). Dextrin and salt as impurities of histological dyes. Estimation and removal.Histochemie 22, 39–44.
- Lillie, R. D. (1969).Conn's Biological Stains. 8th Edn. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins.
- Mann, F. G. &Saunders, B. C. (1952).Practical Organic Chemistry. 3rd Edn. London: Longmans Green.
- Scott, J. E. (1970). Histochemistry of Alcian Blue. 1. Metachromasia of Alcian Blue, Astra Blue and other cationic phthalocyanine dyes.Histochemie 21, 277–85.
- Scott, J. E. (1972). Histochemistry of Alcian Blue. Note on the presence and removal of boric acid as a major dilutant in Alcian Blue 8GX.Histochemie 29, 129–33.
- Scott, J. E. &Dorling, T. (1965). Differential staining of acid glycosaminoglycans (mucopolysaccharides) by Alcian Blue in salt solutions.Histochemie 5, 221–33.
- Scott, J. E. &Mowry, R. W. (1970). Alcian Blue — a consumer's guide.J. Histochem. Cytochem. 18, 842.
- Scott, J. E., Tigwell, M. J. &Guilford, H. (1972). The composition and structure of Alcian Blue 8GX.Proc. Roy. microsc. Soc. 7, 45–6.
- Scott, J. E., Quintarelli, G. &Dellovo, M. C. (1964). The chemical and histochemical properties of Alcian Blue. 1. The mechanism of Alcian Blue staining.Histochemie 4, 73–85.
- Venkataraman, K. (1952).The Chemistry of Synthetic Dyes. Volume 2. New York: Academic Press.
- Vogel, A. E. (1955).A Text Book of Macro and Semimicro Qualitative Inorganic Analysis. 4th Edn. London: Longmans, Green.
- Impurities and staining characteristics of Alcian Blue samples
The Histochemical Journal
Volume 4, Issue 5 , pp 391-399
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors