Ileal Paneth cells and IgA system in rats with severe zinc deficiency: An immunohistochemical and morphological study
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Morphological abnormalities in Paneth cells occur in patients with acrodermatitis enteropathica, a chereditary disease associated with zinc deficiency; furthermore, rat Paneth cells contain large amounts of zinc. This study was conducted to assess the effect of severe zinc deficiency in Sprague-Dawley rats on various parameters of Paneth cells. Morphology at both the light microscopical and ultrastructural levels, Paneth cell numbers per crypt and the intracellular distribution of lysozyme were not altered by zinc deficiency. A weak correlation (r=+0.38,P=0.05) was noted between ileal zinc concentration and numbers of IgA-containing Paneth cells per crypt. These findings indicate that the morphological abnormalities noted in human Paneth cells in patients with acrodermatitis enteropathica cannot be reproduced by experimental severe zinc deficiency in rats. Furthermore, these generally negative findings suggest that the severe diarrhoea often associated with zinc deficiency is not attributable to abnormalities induced in Paneth cells by zinc deficiency.
- Bohane, T. D., Cutz, E., Hamilton, J. R. &Gall, D. G. (1977) Acrodermatitis enteropathica, zinc and the Paneth cell. A case report with family studies.Gastroenterology 73, 587–92.
- Brummerstedt, E., Baase, A., Flagstad, T. &Andresen, E. (1977) Animal model of human disease: acrodermatitis enteropathica, zinc malabsorption.Am. J. Path. 87, 725–8.
- Cousins, R. J. (1979) Regulation of zinc absorption: role of intracellular ligands.Am. J. clin. Nutr. 32, 339–45.
- Elmes, M. E. (1976) The Paneth cell population of the small intestine of the rat-effects of fasting and zinc deficiency on total count and on dithizone-reactive count.J. Path. 118, 183–91.
- Erlandsen, S. L. &Chase, D. G. (1972a) Paneth cell function: phagocytosis and intracellular digestion of intestinal microorganisms. I.Hexamita muris.J. Ultrastruct. Res. 41, 296–318.
- Erlandsen, S. L. &Chase, D. G. (1972b) Paneth cell function: phagocytosis and intracellular digestion of intestinal microorganisms. II. Spiral microorganisms.J. Ultrastruct. Res. 41, 319–33.
- Erlandsen, S. L., Parsons, J. A. &Taylor, T. D. (1974) Ultrastructural immunocytochemical localization of lysozyme in the Paneth cells of man.J. Histochem. Cytochem. 22, 401–13.
- Erlandsen, S. L., Rodning, C. B., Montero, C., Parsons, J. A., Lewis, E. A. &Wilson, I. D. (1976) Immunocytochemical identification and localization of immunoglobulin A within Paneth cells of the rat small intestine.J. Histochem. Cytochem. 24, 1085–92.
- Evans, G. W., Grace, C. I. &Votava, H. J. (1975) A proposed mechanism for zinc absorption in the rat.Am. J. Physiol. 228, 501–5.
- Fraker, P. J., Haas, S. M. &Luecke, R. W. (1977) Effect of zinc deficiency on the immune response of the young adult A/J mouse.J. Nutr. 107, 1889–95.
- Golden, M. H. N., Jackson, A. A. &Golden, B. E. (1977) Effect of zinc on thymus of recently malnourished children.Lancet 2, 1057–9.
- Kay, R. G., Tasman-Jones, C., Pybus, J., Whiting, R. &Black, H. (1976) A syndrome of acute zinc deficiency during total parenteral alimentation in man.Ann. Surg. 183, 331–40.
- Klevay, L. M., Petering, H. G. &Stemmer, K. L. (1971) A controlled environment for trace metal experiments on animals.Environ. Sci. Technol. 5, 1196–9.
- Koo, S. I. &Turk, D. E. (1977) Effect of zinc deficiency on the ultrastructure of the pancreatic acinar cell and intestinal epithelium in the rat.J. Nutr. 107, 896–908.
- Kowarski, S., Blair-Stanek, C. S. &Schachter, D. (1974) Active transport of zinc and identification of zinc-binding protein in rat jejunal mucosa.Am. J. Physiol. 226, 401–7.
- Lombeck, I., von Bassewitz, D. B., Becker, K., Tinschmann, P. &Kästner, H. (1974) Ultrastructural findings on acrodermatitis enteropathica.Pediat. Res. 8, 82–8.
- McClain, C. J., Van Thiel, D. H., Parker, S., Badzin, L. K. &Gilbert, H. (1979) Alterations in zinc, vitamin A and retinol-binding protein in chronic alcoholics: A possible mechanism for night blindness and hypogonadism.Alcoholism: Clin. expl Res. 3, 135–41.
- Midorikawa, O. &Eder, M. (1962) Vergleichende histochemische untersuchungen über zink in darm.Histochemie 2, 444–72.
- Millar, M. J., Vincent, N. R. &Mawson, C. A. (1961) An autoradiographic study of the distribution of zinc-65 in rat tissues.J. Histochem. Cytochem. 9, 111–16.
- O'Leary, M. J., McClain, C. J. &Hegarty, P. V. J. (1979) Effect of zinc deficiency on the weight and celllularity of different skeletal muscles in the post-weaning rat.Br. J. Nutr. 42, 487–95.
- Otto, H. F. &Weitz, H. (1972) Electronenmikroskopische untersuchungen an Paneth-Zellen der ratte unter zinkarmer diät.Beitr. Path. Bd. 145, 336–49.
- Pearse, A. G. E. (1968)Histochemistry: Theoretical and Applied. 3rd edn. pp. 495–546, 925–37. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins.
- Polanco, I., Nistal, M., Guerrero, J. &Vázquez, C. (1976) Acrodermatitis enteropathica, zinc and ultrastructural lesions in Paneth cells.Lancet 1, 430.
- Prasad, A. S., Oberleas, D., Wolf, P. &Horwitz, J. P. (1967) Studies on zinc deficiency: Changes in trace elements and enzyme activities in tissues of zinc-deficient rats.J. clin. Invest. 46, 549–57.
- Reynolds, E. S. (1963) The use of lead citrate at high pH as an electron-opaque stain in electron microscopy.J. Cell Biol. 17, 208–12.
- Rodning, C. B., Wilson, I. D. &Erlandsen, S. L. (1976) Immunoglobulins within human small intestinal Paneth cells.Lancet 1, 984–7.
- Sullivan, J. F., Burch, R. E., Quigley, H. J. &Magee, D. F. (1974) Zinc deficiency and decreased pancreatic secretory response.Am. J. Physiol. 227, 105–8.
- Walravens, P. A., Hambidge, K. M., Neldner, K. H., Silverman, A., Van Doorninck, W. J., Mierau, G. &Favara, B. (1978) Zinc metabolism in acrodermatitis enteropathica.J. Pediat. 93, 71–3.
- Yoshinaga, T. (1974) Evidence of similar behavior of zinc in intestinal crypts and pancreatic islets.Endokrinologie 63, 53–65.
- Ileal Paneth cells and IgA system in rats with severe zinc deficiency: An immunohistochemical and morphological study
The Histochemical Journal
Volume 12, Issue 4 , pp 457-471
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors