Geometry of random sequential adsorption
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
By sequentially adding line segments to a line or disks to a surface at random positions without overlaps, we obtain configurations of the one- and two-dimensional random sequential adsorption (RSA) problem. We have simulated the one- and two-dimensional problem with periodic boundary condition. The one-dimensional simulations are compared with the exact analytical solutions to give an estimate of the accuracy of the simulation. In two dimensions the geometrical properties of the RSA configuration are discussed and in addition known results of the RSA process are reproduced. Various statistical distributions of the Voronoi-Dirichlet (VD) network corresponding to the RSA disk configuration are analyzed. In order to characterize pores in the RSA configuration, we introduce circular holes. There is a direct correspondence between vertices of the VD network and these holes, and also between direct/indirect geometrical neighbors and these holes. The hole size distribution is found to be a parabola. We also find general relations that connect the asymptotic behavior of the surface coverage, the correlation function, and the hole size distribution.
- J. J. González, P. C. Hemmer, and J. S. Høye,Chem. Phys. 3:228 (1974).
- L. Finegold and J. T. Donnell,Nature 278:443 (1979).
- M. Hasegawa and M. Tanemura, inRecent Developments in Statistical Interference and Data Analysis, K. Matusita, ed. (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1980).
- J. Feder and I. Giaever,J. Coll. Interface Sci. 78:144 (1980).
- B. Widom,J. Chem. Phys. 44:3888 (1966).
- J. Feder,J. Theor. Biol. 87:237 (1980).
- Y. Pomeau,J. Phys. A: Math. Gen. A13:L193 (1980).
- R. H. Swendsen,Phys. Rev. A 24:504 (1981).
- A. Renyi,Publ. Math. Inst. Hungar. Acad. Sci. 3:109 (1958). English Translation:Sel. Trans. Math. Stat. Prob. 4:203 (1963).
- J. K. Mackenzie,J. Chem. Phys. 37:723 (1962).
- B. Widom,J. Chem. Phys. 58:4043 (1973).
- B. E. Blaisdell and H. Solomon,J. Appl. Prob. 7:667 (1970).
- W. S. Jodrey and T. M. Tory,J. Statist. Comput. Simul. 10:87 (1980).
- E. M. Tory, W. S. Jodrey, and D. K. Pickard,J. Theor. Biol. 102:439 (1983).
- M. Tanemura,Ann. Inst. Stat. Math. 31B:351 (1979).
- J. D. Bernal,Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. A280:299 (1964).
- J. L. Finney,Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. A319:479 (1970).
- R. Zallen,The Physics of Amorphous Solids (John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1983).
- H. S. M. Coxeter,Introduction to Geometry, 2nd ed. (John Wiley & Sons, Toronto, 1969).
- Geometry of random sequential adsorption
Journal of Statistical Physics
Volume 44, Issue 5-6 , pp 793-827
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Random sequential adsorption
- random disk packing
- pore size distribution
- Voronoi-Dirichlet network
- Industry Sectors