Metastable chaos: The transition to sustained chaotic behavior in the Lorenz model
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The system of equations introduced by Lorenz to model turbulent convective flow is studied here for Rayleigh numbersr somewhat smaller than the critical value required for sustained chaotic behavior. In this regime the system is found to exhibit transient chaotic behavior. Some statistical properties of this transient chaos are examined numerically. A mean decay time from chaos to steady flow is found and its dependence uponr is studied both numerically and (very close to the criticalr) analytically.
- Coles, D. (1965) J. Fluid Mech. 21: pp. 385
- Creveling, H. F., dePaz, J. F., Baladi, J. Y., Schoenhals, R. J. (1975) J. Fluid Mech. 67: pp. 65
- J. Curry, A Generalized Lorenz System Having Invariant Tori, Preprint (1977).
- Eframovich, V. S., Bikov, V. V., Silnikov, L. P. (1977) Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR 234: pp. 336
- J. Guckenheimer, Structural Stability of the Lorenz Attractors, Preprint (1978).
- Haken, H. (1975) Phys. Lett. 53A: pp. 77
- J. L. Kaplan and J. A. Yorke, Preturbulence: A Regime Observed in a Fluid Flow Model of Lorenz,Comm. Math. Phys., in press.
- J. L. Kaplan and J. A. Yorke, The Onset of Chaos in a Fluid Flow Model of Lorenz, inProceedings of New York Acad. Sci. Meeting on Bifurcation (1977).
- Li, T. Y., Yorke, J. A. (1975) Am. Math. Monthly 82: pp. 985
- Lorenz, E. N. (1963) J. Atmos. Sci. 20: pp. 130
- Lucke, M. (1976) J. Stat. Phys. 15: pp. 455
- Marsden, J. E., McCracken, M. (1976) The Hopf Bifurcation and its Applications. Springer-Verlag, New York
- J. E. Marsden, inTurbulence Seminar (Springer-Verlag Lecture Notes in Math., No. 615, 1977).
- McLaughlin, J. B., Martin, P. C. (1975) Phys. Rev. A 12: pp. 186
- G. Pianigiani and J. A. Yorke,Trans. Am. Math. Soc., in press.
- Robbins, K. A. (1976) Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 73: pp. 4296
- K. A. Robbins,Math. Proc. Camb. Phil. Soc., to appear (1977).
- Ruelle, D., Takens, F. (1971) Comm. Math. Phys. 20: pp. 167
- Sharkovskii, A. N. (1964) Coexistence of the Cycles of a Continuous Mapping of the Line into Itself (in Russian). Ukr. Math. J. 16: pp. 61
- Welander, P. (1967) J. Fluid Mech. 29: pp. 17
- Malkus, W. V. R. (1972) Mem. Roy. Sci. Liège, Ser. 6 4: pp. 125
- R. F. Williams, The Structure of Lorenz Attractors,Publ. Inst. Hautes Etudes Sci., in press; see also R. F. Williams and J. Guckenheimer, Structural Stability of Lorenz Attractors,ibid.
- Metastable chaos: The transition to sustained chaotic behavior in the Lorenz model
Journal of Statistical Physics
Volume 21, Issue 3 , pp 263-277
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Lorenz system
- Industry Sectors