High-temperature differentiability of lattice Gibbs states by Dobrushin uniqueness techniques
- Chetan Prakash
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We establish conditions for the differentiability, to any order, of the Gibbs states of classical lattice systems with arbitrary compact single-spin space and with interactions in the Dobrushin uniqueness region. The derivatives are expressed as series expansions and are shown to be continuous on the uniqueness region. We also provide a procedure for estimating the size of the derivatives. These results verify a conjecture of L. Gross and extend his results in “Absence of second-order phase transitions in the Dobrushin uniqueness region,”Journal of Statistical Physics 25(1):57–72 (1981). The techniques of this paper are based on those employed by Gross.
- R. L. Dobrushin, The description of a random field by means of conditional probabilities and conditions of its regularity,Theory Prob. Its Appl. 13:197–224 (1968).
- B. Simon, A remark on Dobrushin's uniqueness theorem,Commun. Math. Phys. 68:183–185 (1979).
- L. Gross, Absence of second-order phase transitions in the Dobrushin uniqueness region,J. Stat. Phys. 25(1):57–72 (1981).
- O. E. Lanford III, Entropy and equilibrium states in classical statistics mechanics, inStatistical Mechanics and Mathematical Problems, A. Lenard, ed. (Lecture Notes in Physics No. 20, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1973).
- L. N. Vasershtein, Markov processes over denumerable products of spaces, describing large systems of automata,Probl. Inform. Transm. 5(3):64–72 (1969) (English translation).
- H. Kunsch, Decay of correlations under Dobrushin's uniqueness condition and its applications, Preprint, ETH Zentrum, (1981).
- L. Gross, Decay of correlations in classical lattice models at high temperature,Commun. Math. Phys. 68:9–27 (1979).
- H. Föllmer, A convariance estimate for Gibbs measures,J. Func. Anal. 46:387–395 (1982).
- D. Klein, Dobrushin uniqueness techniques and the decay of correlations in continuum statistical mechanics,Commun. Math. Phys. 86:227–246 (1982).
- R. B. Israel, High temperature analyticity in classical lattice systems,Commun. Math. Phys. 50:245–257 (1976).
- G. Gallavotti and S. Miracle-Sole, Correlation functions of a lattice system,Commun. Math. Phys. 7:274–288 (1968).
- M. Duneau and B. Souillard, Cluster properties of lattice and continuous systems,Commun. Math. Phys. 47:155–166 (1976).
- M. Duneau, B. Souillard, and D. Iagolnitzer, Decay of correlations for infinite-range interactions,J. Math. Phys. 16:1662–1666 (1975).
- D. Iagolnitzer and B. Souillard, On the analyticity of the potential in classical statistical mechanics,Commun. Math. Phys. 60:131–152 (1978).
- D. Iagolnitzer and B. Souillard, Decay of correlations for slowly decreasing potentials,Phys. Rev. A 16:1700–1704 (1977).
- R. A. Holley and D. W. Stroock, Applications of the stochastic Ising model to the Gibbs States,Commun. Math. Phys. 48:249–265 (1976).
- R. B. Israel, Convexity in the Theory of Lattice Gases (Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, New Jersey, 1979).
- D. Ruelle,Thermodynamic Formalism (Addison Wesley, Reading, Massachusetts, 1978).
- M. E. Fisher, On discontinuity of the pressure,Commun. Math. Phys. 26:6–14 (1972).
- R. Griffiths and D. Ruelle, Strict convexity (continuity) of the pressure in lattice systems,Commun. Math. Phys. 23:169–175 (1971).
- R. L. Dobrushin and B. S. Nakhapetyan, Strong convexity of the pressure for lattice systems of classical statistical physics,Theor. Math. Phys. 20:782–790 (1974).
- R. B. Israel, Existence of phase transitions for long-range interactions,Commun. Math. Phys. 43:59–68 (1975).
- C. Prakash, High temperature differentiability of lattice Gibbs states by Dobrushin uniqueness techniques, thesis, Cornell University (1982).
- G. Sylvester, Representations and inequalities for Ising model Ursell functions,Commun. Math. Phys. 42:209–220 (1975).
- R. L. Dobrushin, The problem of uniqueness of a Gibbsian random field and the problem of phase transitions,Func. Anal. Its Appl. 2:302–312 (1968).
- W. Holsztynski and J. Slawny, Peirls condition and the number of ground states,Commun. Math. Phys. 61:177–190 (1978).
- S. A. Pirogov and Ya. G. Sinai, Phase diagrams of classical lattice systems,Theor. Math. Phys. 25:358–369 (1975).
- High-temperature differentiability of lattice Gibbs states by Dobrushin uniqueness techniques
Journal of Statistical Physics
Volume 31, Issue 1 , pp 169-228
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Classical lattice spin systems
- Dobrushin uniqueness theorem
- differentiability of pressure
- Industry Sectors
- Chetan Prakash (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mathematics, University of California at Irvine, Irvine, California