Some effects of the addition of cobalt to the nickel hydroxide electrode
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The action of cobalt upon the characteristics of the nickel hydroxide electrode has been investigated by constant current, linear potential sweep and EDAX methods. It was found that cobalt raises the oxygen overpotential and promotes greater utilization of the active material, although major additions of cobalt were observed to lower the working potential of the electrode. It was also found that cobalt prevented any significant loss of electrode capacity when the system was poisoned with iron.
- T. A. Edison, US Patent 1 083 356 (6 June, 1914).
- W. R. Scott and D. W. Rusta, ‘Sealed-Cell Nickel-Cadmium Battery Applications Manual’, NASA reference publication, 1052 (Dec., 1979).
- Malandin, O. G., Vasev, A. V., Bityutskii, P. N., Shamina, I. S., Suchkova, G. V. (1977) Effect of cobalt on the chemical and phase composition of nickel oxide electrodes. Soviet Electrochem. 14: pp. 74
- R. N. Turner, ‘An electroanalytical study of the ageing of nickel hydroxide and related electrodes’, Ph.D. thesis, Newcastle University (July, 1982).
- Sanyo Electric Company, Japanese Patent JP 59 163 753 (14 Sept., 1984).
- H. Yasuda, Japanese Patent JP 60 170 161 (3 Sept., 1985).
- M. Oshitani, Japanese Patent JP 61 124 061 (11 June, 1986).
- R. G. Gunther and S. Gross, ‘The Nickel Electrode’, Proceedings of the Symposium, The Electrochem. Soc. (1982).
- Tuomi, D. (1963) The forming process in nickel positive electrodes. J. Electrochem. Soc. 112: pp. 1
- Barnard, R., Randell, C. F. (1983) Studies concerning charged nickel hydroxide electrodes VIII. J. Appl. Electrochem. 13: pp. 97
- Corrigan, D. A. (1987) The catalysis of the oxygen evolution reaction by iron impurities in thin film nickel oxide electrodes. J. Electrochem. Soc. 134: pp. 377
- C. F. Baes and R. E. Mesmer, ‘The Hydrolysis of Cations’, Wiley Interscience (1976).
- Sood, A. K. (1986) Studies of the effect of cobalt addition to the nickel hydroxide electrode. J. Appl. Electrochem. 16: pp. 274
- C. W. Tobias, ‘Advances in Electrochemistry and Electrochemical Engineering’, Vol.5, Wiley Interscience (1967).
- S. Januszkiewicz, ‘Addition of Cobalt to Nickel-Cadmium Batteries’, Proceedings of the 13th Annual Power Sources Conference, USA (May, 1959).
- Armstrong, R. D., Briggs, G. W. D., Moore, M. A. (1986) The effect of lithium in preventing iron poisoning in the nickel hydroxide electrode. Electrochim. Acta 31: pp. 25
- Bronoel, G., Reby, J. (1980) Mechanism of oxygen evaluation in basic medium at a nickel electrode. Electrochem. Acta 25: pp. 973
- Southampton Electrochemistry Group ‘Instrumental Methods in Electrochemistry’, Ellis Horwood Pub. (1985).
- Some effects of the addition of cobalt to the nickel hydroxide electrode
Journal of Applied Electrochemistry
Volume 18, Issue 2 , pp 215-219
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors