A study on the swelling of a sintered nickel hydroxide electrode
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The swelling and blistering of a sintered nickel hydroxide electrode, which usually determine the life of the electrode, have been found to be dependent on the the change in the density of the active material during charge and discharge. In particular, the swelling after cycling has been related to the degree of formation of γ-NiOOH. The largest swelling, as represented by an increase in the thickness of the electrode, occurs when β-NiOOH changes to γ-NiOOH during charging rather than discharging. Addition of cadmium, zinc and magnesium is effective in preventing the formation of γ-NiOOH. In particular, the swelling can be almost completely prevented by addition of cobalt and cadmium together, even with overcharging at the 1 C rate.
- M. Oshitani, Y. Sasaki and K. Takashima,J. Power Sources 12 (1984) 219.
- M. Oshitani, M. Yamane and S. Hattori, ‘Power Sources 8’ (edited by J. Thompson) Academic Press, New York, (1981) p. 471.
- S. Januszkiewicz,Proc. Ann. Power Sources Conf. 13 (1959) 75.
- B. Vyas, 1980 Goddard Space Flight Center Battery Workshop Proceedings NASA Publication CP-2177, p. 157.
- H. S. Lim,ibid. 1980 Goddard Space Flight Center Battery Workshop Proceedings NASA Publication CP-2177, p. 157.
- P. P. McDermott, Proc. of the Symposium on ‘The Nickel Electrode’ (edited by R. G. Gunther and S. Gross), The Electrochemical Society, Pennington, N.J. (1982) p. 224.
- H. S. Lim and S. A. Verzwyvelt, Proc. 18th IECEC, Orlando, Florida (1983) p. 1543.
- P. Ness, Conferences SIE, Kelkeim, FRG (1973).
- J. P. Harivel, B. Morignat, J. Labat and J. F. Laurent, ‘Power Sources’ (edited by D. H. Collins), Pergamon Press, New York (1966) p. 239.
- H. Bode, K. Dehmelt and J. Witte,Electrochim. Acta 16 (1971) 615.
- R. Barnard, C. F. Randell and F. L. Tye,J. Appl. Electrochem. 10 (1980) 127.
- C. Greaves, M. A. Thomas and M. Turner, ‘Power Sources 9’ (edited by J. Thompson), Academic Press, New York (1983) p. 163.
- A study on the swelling of a sintered nickel hydroxide electrode
Journal of Applied Electrochemistry
Volume 16, Issue 3 , pp 403-412
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors