Cholinergic nerves in the human liver
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The cholinergic innervation of the human liver was studied. Slices (150–200μm thick) of human liver and of the greater hepatic blood vessels (hepatic artery and vein, portal vein) were incubated in a solution of 6-hydroxydopamine (6-HDA) in order to obtain a selective degeneration of adrenergic nerves. Controls were prepared from samples incubated with buffer alone. The slices were cut on a cryostat into 15–20μm thick sections and processed for the histochemical detection of cholinesterases.
Cholinergic nerve fibres innervate the extra hepatic and the intrahepatic branches of the hepatic artery, the portal vein as well as the hepatic vein. Fewer cholinergic fibres innervate the hepatocytes and the hepatic sinusoids. The 6-HDA treatment does not seem to alter the pattern of the cholinergic innervation of the liver. The findings indicate the presence of a cholinergic parasympathetic innervation in the human liver.
- Black, I. B. &Reis, D. J. (1971) Cholinergic regulation of hepatic tyrosine transaminase activity.J. Physiol., Lond. 213, 421–33.
- Crosby, E., Humprey, T. &Lauer, E. (1962)Correlative Anatomy of the Nervous System. New York: Macmillan.
- El Badawi, A. &Schenck, E. A. (1967) Histochemical methods for separate, consecutive and simultaneous demonstration of acetylcholinesterase and norepinephrine in cryostat sections.J. Histochem. Cytochem. 18, 580–8.
- Hamberger, B. (1967) Reserpine resistant uptake of catecholamines in isolated tissues of the rat.Acta Physiol. Scand. Suppl.295, 1–56.
- Karnovsky, M. J. &Roots, L. (1964) A ‘direct-coloring’ thiocholine method for cholinesterases.J. Histochem. Cytochem. 12, 219–21.
- Lindvall, O. &Bjorklund, A. (1974) The glyoxilic acid fluorescence histochemical method. A detailed account of methodology for visualization of central cathecholamine neurons.Histochemistry 39, 97–127.
- Mitchell, G. A. G. (1953)Anatomy of the Autonomic Nervous System. Edinburgh: Livingston.
- Nobin, A., Baumgarten, H. G., Flack, B., Ingemansson, S., Moghimzadeh, E. &Rosengren, E. (1978) Organization of the sympathetic innervation in liver tissue from monkey and man.Cell. Tiss. Res. 195, 371–80.
- Reilly, F. D., McCurskey, P. A. &McCurskey, S. M. (1978) Intrahepatic distribution of nerves in the rat.Anat. Rec. 191, 55–68.
- Satler, J. J., Predan, S. &Brzin, M. (1974) The activity and cytochemical localization of acetylcholinesterase and butyrylcholinesterase in the rat liver.Histochemistry 39, 65–70.
- Shimazu, T. &Fujimoto, T. (1971) Regulation of glycogen metabolism biosynthesis.Biochem. Biophys. Acta 252, 18–27.
- Skaaring, P. &Bierring, F. (1976) On the intrinsic innervation of normal rat liver.Cell Tiss. Res. 177, 287–90.
- Sutherland, S. D. (1964) An evaluation of cholinesterase techniques in the study of the intrinsic innervation of the liver.J. Anat., Lond. 98, 321–8.
- Tranzer, J. P. &Thoenen, H. (1968) An electron microscopic study of selective, acute degeneration of sympathetic nerve terminals after administration of 6-hydroxydopamine.Experientia, Basel 24, 155.
- Cholinergic nerves in the human liver
The Histochemical Journal
Volume 13, Issue 3 , pp 419-424
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors