Chromatin changes in apoptosis
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Murine lymphoid cell lines and rat thymocytes treatedin vitro with glucocorticoid hormones provide a convenient system for studying the nuclear changes in apoptosis. Morphologically the nucleolus disintegrates and chromatin undergoes an unusual, generalized condensation. This is associated with excision of most of the nuclear. DNA to short but well-organized chains of nucleosomes, apparently by an endogenous non-lysosomal nuclease. The process is dependent upon macromolecular synthesis and probably is mediated, at least remotely, by the classical steroid-receptor-gene activation pathway. A similar process of chromatin condensation and excision can be produced by the calcium-magnesium ionophore A23187. In other circumstances of programmed cell death', analogous chromatin condensation, excision and requirements for macromolecular synthesis have been documented.
- Appleby, D. W. &Modak, S. P. (1977) DNA degradation in terminally differentiating lens fiber cells from chick embryos.Proc. natn. Acad. Sci., U.S.A. 74, 5579–83.
- Bachvaroff, R. J., Ayvazian, J. H., Skupp, S. K. &Rapaport, F. T. (1977) Specific restriction endonuclease degradation of DNA as a consequence of immunologically mediated cell damage.Transplanta. Proc. 9, 807–10.
- Ben-Ishay, Z. &Farber, E. (1975) Protective effects of an inhibitor of protein synthesis, cycloheximide, on bone marrow damage induced by cytosine arabinoside or nitrogen mustard.Lab. Invest. 33, 478–90.
- Berezney, R. (1979) Dynamic properties of the nuclear matrix. InThe Cell Nucleus, Vol. 7 (edited byBusch, H.), pp. 413–456. New York: Academic Press.
- Cho-Chung, Y. S. (1978) Antagonistic action between cyclic adenosine 3′∶5′-monophosphate and estrogen in rat mammary tumor growth control.Cancer Res. 38, 4071–5.
- Churchill, J. R., Urbanczyk, J. &Studzinski, G. P. (1973) Multiple deoxyribonuclease activities in nuclei of HeLa cells.Biochem biophys. Res. Commun. 53, 1009–16.
- Hewish, D. R. &Burgoyne, L. A. (1973) Chromatin sub-structure. The digestion of chromatin DNA at regularly spaced sites by a nuclear deoxyribonuclease.Biochem. biophys. Res. Commun. 52, 504–10.
- Higgins, S. J. &Gehring, H. (1978) Molecular mechanisms of steroid hormone action.Adv. Cancer Res. 28, 313–97.
- Ishida, R., Akiyoshi, H. &Takahasi, T. (1974) Isolation and purification of calcium and magnesium dependent endonuclease from rat liver nuclei.Biochem. biophys. Res. Commun. 56, 703–10.
- Kaiser, N. &Edelman, I. S. (1977) Calcium dependence of glucocorticoid-induced lymphocytolysis.Proc. natn. Acad. Sci., U.S.A. 74, 638–42.
- Kaiser, N. &Edelman, I. S. (1978) Further studies on the role of calcium in glucocorticoid-induced lymphocytolysis.Endocrinology 103, 936–42.
- Kerr, J. F. R. (1965) A histochemical study of hypertrophy and ischaemic injury of rat liver with special reference to changes in lysosomes.J. Path. Bact. 90, 419–35.
- Kerr, J. F. R. &Searle, J. (1972) The digestion of cellular fragments within phagolysosomes in carcinoma cells.J. Path. 108, 55–8.
- Kerr, J. F. R., Wyllie, A. H. &Currie, A. R. (1972) Apoptosis: a basic biological phenomenon with wide-ranging implications in tissue kinetics.Br. J. Cancer 26, 239–57.
- Kornberg, R. D. (1974) Chromatin structure: a repeating unit of histones and DNA.Science, N.Y. 184, 868–71.
- Krufger, R. C. (1978) A study of an endogenous nucleolytic reaction and of the action of micrococcal nuclease and DNase I on a salt-soluble, compact form of chromatin.Biochim. Biophys. Acta 520, 358–67.
- Kijo, M. T. &Hsu, T. C. (1978) Bleomycin causes release of nucleosomes from chromatin and chromosomes.Nature, Lond. 271, 83–4.
- Lieberman, M. W., Verbin, R. S., Landay, M., Liang, H., Farber, E., Lee, T.-N. &Starr, E. (1970) A probable role for protein synthesis in intestinal epithelial cell damage inducedin vivo by cytosine arabinoside, nitrogen mustard or x-irradiation.Cancer Res. 30, 942–51.
- Long, B., Huang, C.-Y. &Pogo, A. O. (1979) Isolation and characterization of the nuclear matrix in Friend erythroleukaemia cells: chromatin and hnRNA interactions with the nuclear matrix.Cell 18, 1079–90.
- Pratt, R. M. &Greene, R. M. (1976) Inhibition of palatal epithelial cell death by altered protein synthesis.Devl Biol. 54, 135–45.
- Searle, J., Collins, D. J., Harmon, B. &Kerr, J. F. R. (1973) The spontaneous occurrence of apoptosis in squamous carcinomas of the uterine cervix.Pathology 5, 163–9.
- Sierakowska, H. &Shugar, D. (1977) Mammalian nucleolytic enzymes.Progr. Nucleic Acid Res. 20, 59–130.
- Skalka, M., Matyášová, J. &Čejková, M. (1976) DNA in chromatin of irradiated lymphoid tissues degradesin vivo into regular fragments.FEBS Lett. 72, 271–4.
- Slor, H. &Lev, T. (1971) Acid deoxyribonuclease activity in purified calf thymus nuclei.Biochem. J. 123, 993–5.
- Suciu, D. (1979) Role of alkaline endonucleases in the release of soluble chromatin from thymus, spleen and liver nuclei of normal and irradiated mice.Int. J. Radiat. Biol. 35, 119–31.
- Tata, J. R. (1966) Requirement for RNA and protein synthesis for induced regression of tadpole tail in organ culture.Devl Biol. 13, 77–94.
- Trowell, D. A. (1966) Ultrastructural changes in lymphocytes exposed to noxious agentsin vitro.Q. Jl exp. Physiol. 51, 207–20.
- Waddell, A. W., Wyllie, A. H., Robertson, A. M. G., Mayne, K., Au, J. &Currie, A. R. (1979) Lethal and growth-inhibitory actions of glucocorticoids. InGlucocorticoid Action and Leukaemia (7th Tenovus Workshop) (edited byBell, P. A. andBorthwick, N. M.), pp. 75–83. Cardiff: Alpha Omega.
- Weser, R. (1965) Inhibitory effect of actinomycin D on tail atrophy inXenopus larvae at metamorphosis.Experimentia 21, 665–6.
- Williamson, R. (1970) Properties of rapidly labelled deoxyribonucleic acid fragments from the cytoplam of primary cultures of embryonic mouse liver.J. molec. Biol. 51, 157–68.
- Wyllie, A. H. (1980) Glucocorticoid-induced thymocyte apoptosis is associated with endogenous endonuclease activation.Nature, Lond. 284, 555–6.
- Wyllie, A. H., Kerr, J. F. R. &Currie, A. R. (1981) Cell death: the significance of apoptosis.Int. Rev. Cytol. 68, 251–305.
- Zöilner, E. J., Reitz, M., Zahn, R. K., &Slor, H. (1979) Deoxyribonucleases in phytohaemagglutinin-stimulated lymphocytes.Expl Cell Res. 123, 365–9.
- Chromatin changes in apoptosis
The Histochemical Journal
Volume 13, Issue 4 , pp 681-692
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors