Thiamine deficiency and wernicke's encephalopathy in AIDS
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Several neuropathological reports in the last 5 years have described brain lesions characteristic of Wernicke's Encephalopathy in patients with AIDS. Using the erythrocyte transketolase activation assay, we now report biochemical evidence of thiamine deficiency in 9/39 (23%) of patients with AIDS or AIDS-related complex. In no cases was there history of alcohol abuse nor were there clinical signs of Wernicke's Encephalopathy. Thiamine deficiency in these patients most likely results from the cachexia and catabolic state characteristic of AIDS. In view of (i) the confirmed neuropathological evidence of Wernicke's Encephalopathy in AIDS patients, (ii) the significant thiamine deficiency in these patients and (iii) the difficulties of clinical diagnosis of Wernicke's Encephalopathy, it is recommended that dietary thiamine supplementation be initiated in all newly diagnosed cases of AIDS or AIDS-related complex.
- Butterworth R.F., Giguère J.-F., and Besnard A.-M. (1986). Activities of thiamine-dependent enzymes in two experimental models of thiamine-deficiency encephalopathy. 2. α-ketoglutarate dehydrogenaseNeurochem. Res. 11: 567–577.
- Butterworth R.F. (1989). Effects of thiamine deficiency on brain metabolism: implications for the pathogenesis of the Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome.Alcohol & Alcoholism 24: 271–279.
- Butterworth R.F., Gaudreau C., Vincelette J., Bourgault A.-M., Lamothe F., and Nutini A.-M. (1991). Thiamine deficiency in AIDS.Lancet 338: 1086.
- D'Amour M.L., Bruneau J., and Butterworth R.F. (1991). Abnormalities of peripheral nerve conduction in relation to thiamine status in alcoholic patients.Can. J. Neurol. Sci. 18: 126–128.
- Davtyan D.G., and Vinters H.V. (1987). Wernicke's Encephalopathy in AIDS patient treated with Zidovudine.Lancet 1: 919–920.
- Foresti V., Parisio E., Scolari N., Sparacio F., and Confalonieri F. (1986). Sindrome da immunodeficienza acquisita associata a tubercolosi disseminata ed a encefalopatia cronica di Wernicke.Recenti Progressi in Medicina 77: 350–352.
- Foresti V., and Confalonieri F. (1987). Wernicke's Encephalopathy in AIDS.Lancet (i), 1499.
- Harper C. (1979). Wernicke's Encephalopathy: a more common disease than realized.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiat. 42: 226–231.
- Heier M.S., and Fossa S.D. (1986). Wernicke-Korsakoff-like syndrome in patients with colorectal carcinoma treated with high-dose doxifluridine (5′-dFUrd).Acta Neurol. Scand. 73: 449–457.
- Hutchin K.C. (1987). Thiamine deficiency, Wernicke's Encephalopathy and AIDS.Lancet, 1200.
- Kwee I.L., and Nakada T. (1983). Wernicke's Encephalopathy induced by tolazamide.New Eng. J. Med. 309: 599–600.
- Lindboe C.F., and Loberg E.M. (1989). Wernicke's Encephalopathy in non-alcoholics. An autopsy study.J. Neurol. Sci. 90: 125–129.
- Mukherjee A.B., Ghazanfari A., Svoronos S., Staton R.C., Nakata T., and Kwee I.L. (1986). Transketolase abnormality in tolazamide-induced Wernicke's Encephalopathy.Neurol. 36: 1508–1510.
- Rosemberg S., Lopes M.B.S. and Tsanaclis A.M. (1986). Neuropathology of acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). Analysis of 22 Brazilian cases.J. Neurol. Sci. 76: 187–198.
- Parry G.J. (1988). Peripheral neuropathies associated with human immunodeficiency virus infection.Ann. Neurol. 23: S49-S53.
- Schwenk J., Gosztonyl G., Theraulf P., Iglesias J. and Langer E. (1990). Wernicke's encephalopathy in two patients with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome.J. Neurol. 237: 445–447.
- Soffer D., Zirkin H., Alkan M. and Berginer V.M. (1989). Wernicke's encephalopathy in acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS): a case report.Clin. Neuropathol. 8: 192–194.
- Torvik A., Linboe C.F. and Rodge S. (1982). Brain lesions in alcoholics. A neuropathological study with clinical correlations.J. Neurol. Sci. 56: 233–248.
- Victor M., Adams R.D., Collins G.H. (1989).The Wernicke Korsakoff Syndrome, F.A. Davis, Philadelphia.
- Thiamine deficiency and wernicke's encephalopathy in AIDS
Metabolic Brain Disease
Volume 6, Issue 4 , pp 207-212
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- AIDS-related complex
- thiamine deficiency
- Wernicke's Encephalopathy
- α-ketoglutarate dehydrogenase
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Laboratory of Neurochemistry, André-Viallet Clinical Research Center, Hôpital Saint-Luc (University of Montreal), Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- 2. Microbiology Service, Hôpital Saint-Luc (University of Montreal), Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- 3. Hematology Service, Hôpital Saint-Luc (University of Montreal), Montreal, Quebec, Canada