The predictive validity of a resident selection system
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper describes a new system for resident selection that uses a descriptive rating scale and a microcomputer to create a rank order list for the National Resident Matching Program. The methods utilized to analyze the time efficiency, interrater reliability, and predictive validity of the system are reported. Interrater reliability was found to be high. The rank list was shown to correlate with both clinical performance of Pl-1 and Pl-2 pediatric residents and the American Board of Pediatrics In-training Examination. Correlations for the Pl-2 year were stronger than for the Pl-1 year.
- Komives, E., Weiss, S.T., and Rosa, R.M., The applicant interview as a predictor of resident performance.J. Med. Educ. 59:425–426, 1984.
- Korsch, B.M., Werner, E.R., and Adler, R., The process of selecting interns: From the unknown to the unknown.Pediatrics 64:379–380, 1979.
- Stanton, B., Burstein, A.G., Kobos, J.C., and Loucks, S., The Dean's letter of recommendation and resident performance.J. Med. Educ. 54:812–813, 1979.
- Gordon, M., and Lincoln, J., Family practice resident selection: Value of the interview.J. Fam. Pract. 3:175–177, 1979.
- Adler, R., and Gladstein, K., The first year resident selection process.J. Med. Educ. 58:962–963, 1983.
- Guilford, J.P., and Fruchter, B.,Fundamental Statistics in Psychology and Education McGraw Hill, New York, 1983.
- Friedman, C.P., Trier, W.D., and Forsythe, G.B., Confirmatory factor analysis of house officer candidate appraisals.Eval. Health Prof. 10:107–119, 1987.
- Veloski, J., Herman, M.W., Gonnella, J.S., Zeleznick, C., and Kellow, W.F., Relationship between performance in medical school and first post graduate year.J. Med. Educ. 54:909–916, 1979.
- Friedman, C.P., Trier, W.D., and Helmy, I., A multicomponent validity study of the housestaff selection process. RIME, 1981.
- The predictive validity of a resident selection system
Journal of Medical Systems
Volume 12, Issue 3 , pp 129-134
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors