The place of order and uncertainty in art and environmental aesthetics
- Dr. Joachim F. Wohlwill
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Contrasting views in writings of architectural aesthetics regarding the virtues of diversity as opposed to unity are examined in terms of Berlyne's treatment of the unity-amid-variety issue, and of work by him and others attempting to distinguish effects of complexity and redundancy. Research on the role of structural relationships in complex configurations suggests the need for coming to grips with such Gestaltist variables as order and balance in the context of a motivational theory of response to aesthetic stimuli such as Berlyne's.
- Arnheim, R.Art and visual perception (New version). Berkeley: University of California Press, 1974.
- Berlyne, D. E. Objective and phenomenal complexity: Comments on Heckhausen's note.Canadian Journal of Psychology 1964,18 245–248.
- Berlyne, D. E.Aesthetics and psychobiology. New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts, 1971.
- Berlyne, D. E. Verbal and exploratory responses to visual patterns varying in uncertainty and in redundancy. In D. E. Berlyne (Ed.),Studies in the new experimental aesthetics. Washington, D.C.: Hemisphere, 1974, Pp. 121–158.
- Berlyne, D. E., & Boudewijns, W. J. A. Hedonic effects of uniformity in variety.Canadian Journal of Psychology 1971,25 195–206.
- Birkhoff, G. D.Aesthetic measure. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1933.
- Cullen, G.Townscape. London: Architectural Press, 1961.
- Dörner, D., & Vehrs, W. Aesthetische Befriedigung und Unbestimmtheitsreduktion.Psychological Research 1975,38 1–14.
- Ertel, S. Exploratory choice and verbal judgment. In D. E. Berlyne & K. B. Madsen (Eds.),Pleasure, reward, preference: Their nature, determinants and role in behavior. New York: Academic Press, 1973. P. 115–132.
- Fiske, D. W., & Maddi, S. A conceptual framework. In D. W. Fiske & S. Maddi (Eds.),Functions of varied experience. Homewood, Illinois: Dorsey Press, 1961. Pp. 11–56.
- Gunzenhäuser, R. Das ästhetische Mass Birkhoffs in informationstheoretischer Sicht. In H. Ronge (Ed.),Kunst and Kybernetik. Cologne: DuMont Schanberg, 1968.
- Hamlin, T. (Ed.).Forms and functions of twentieth-century architecture (Vol. 2).Principles of composition. New York: Columbia University Press, 1952.
- Heckhausen, H. Complexity in perception: Phenomenal criteria and information-theoretic calculus—a note on D. E. Berlyne's “complexity effects.”Canadian Journal of Psychology 1964,18 168–173.
- Kaplan, R. Some methods and strategies in the prediction of preference. In E. H. Zube, G. G. Fabos, & R. O. Brush (Eds.),Landscape assessment: Values, perceptions and resources. Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania: Dowden, Hutchinson and Ross, 1975. Pp. 118–129.
- Kaplan, S. An informal model for the prediction of preference. In E. H. Zube, G. G. Fabos, & R. O. Brush (Eds.),Landscape assessment: Values, perceptions and resources. Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania: Dowden, Hutchinson and Ross, 1975. Pp. 92–101.
- Lynch, K.The image of the city. Cambridge: M. I. T. Press, 1960.
- Mindus, L.The role of redundancy and complexity in the perception of tone patterns. Unpublished master's thesis, Clark University, 1968
- Parr, A. E. Psychological aspects of urbanology.Journal of Social Issues 1966,22(4), 39–45.
- Peckham, M.Man's rage for chaos: Biology, behavior and the arts. New York: Chilton, 1965.
- Rapoport, A., & Hawkes, R. The perception of urban complexity.Journal of the American Institute of Planners 1970,36 106–111.
- Rapoport, A., & Kantor, R. E. Complexity and ambiguity in environmental design.Journal of the American Institute of Planners 1967,33 210–222.
- Smets, G.Aesthetic judgment and arousal. Leuven: Leuven University Press, 1973.
- Venturi, R.Complexity and contradiction in architecture. New York: Museum of Modern Art, 1966.
- The place of order and uncertainty in art and environmental aesthetics
Motivation and Emotion
Volume 4, Issue 2 , pp 133-142
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. College of Human Development, The Pennsylvania State University, S-126 Henderson Human Development Building, 16802, University Park, Pennsylvania