Type and extent of child abuse as predictors of adult functioning
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Child abuse is associated with a variety of difficulties later in life. However, it is unclear to what extent these outcomes are related to the type and combinations of abuse (i.e., sexual versus physical) rather than the variable characteristics within each type. Information regarding child abuse histories as well as current functioning was gathered from a community sample of 259 working women. Incest and severe physical abuse were each associated with similar symptoms, with people who were more severely abused showing worse outcomes. Those women who were both physically and sexually abused had less favorable outcomes than those abused in only one manner. The effects of abuse could not be understood without taking combinations of different types and severities into account. The implications of the similarities of the outcomes of severe sexual and physical abuse were discussed.
- Bagley, C., and Ramsay, R. (1985–1986). Sexual abuse in childhood: Psychosocial outcomes and implications for social work practice.J. Social Work Hum. Sexual. 4: 33–47.
- Beck, A. (1972). Measuring depression: the depression inventory. In Williams, T., Katz, M., and Shields, J. (eds.),Recent Advances in the Biology of Depressive Illnesses. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C., pp. 299–302.
- Beck, A. (1978).Beck Inventory, Center for Cognitive Therapy, Philadelphia, PA.
- Beck, A., and Beamesderfer, A. (1974). Assessment of depression: The depression inventory.Psychological Measure. Psychopharmacol. Mod. Probl. Pharmacopsychiatry 7: 151–169.
- Blumbery, W., Oliver, J., and McClure, J. (1978). Validation of the Beck Depression Inventory in a university population using psychiatric estimate as the criterion.J. Consult, Clin. Psychol. 46: 150–155.
- Briere, J. (1992). The long term clinical correlates of childhood sexual victimization.Annal. N.Y. Acad. Sci.
- Briere, J. (1988). The long term clinical correlates of childhood sexual victimization. In Prentky, R. A., and Quinsey, V. (eds.),Human Sexual Aggression: Current Perspective (V, 528). New York Academy of Sciences, New York, pp. 327–334.
- Briere, J. (1990).Therapy for Adults Molested as Children: Beyond Survival, Springer, New York.
- Briere, J., and Runtz, M. (1986). Suicidal thoughts and behavior in former sexual abuse victims.Canad. J. Behav. Sci. 18: 413–423.
- Briere, J., and Runtz, M. (1987). A brief measure of victimization effects: The Trauma Symptom Checklist (TSC-33). Paper presented at the Third National Family Violence Research Conference, Durham, New Hampshire.
- Briere, J., and Runtz, M. (1988a). Multivariate correlates of childhood psychological and physical maltreatment among university women.Child Abuse Negl. 12: 331–341.
- Briere, J., and Runtz, M. (1988b). Post sexual abuse trauma. In G.E. Wyatt, and G. J. Powell, (Eds.).Lasting Effects of Child Sexual Abuse, Sage, Newbury Park.
- Briere, J., and Runtz, A. (1988c). Symptomatology associated with childhood sexual victimization in a non-clinical adult sample.Child Abuse Negl. 12: 51–59.
- Briere, J., and Runtz, M. (1990). Differential adult symptomatology associated with three types of child abuse histories.Child Abuse Negl. 14: 357–364.
- Browne, A., and Finkelhor, D. (1986). The impact of sexual abuse: A review of the research.Psychological Bull. 99: 66–77.
- Coopersmith, S. (1981).Manual of the Adult Self-Esteem Scale, Consulting Psychologists Press, Palo Alto, CA.
- Daro, D. (1988).Confronting Child Abuse, Free Press, New York.
- Donaldson, M. A., and Gardner, R. (1985). Diagnosis and treatment of traumatic stress among women after childhood incest. In Figley, C. R., (ed.),Trauma and Its Wake, Vol. I. Bruner/Mazel, New York, pp. 356–377.
- Emery, R. E. (1989). Family violence.Am. Psychologist, 44: 321–328.
- Finkelhor, D. (1979).Sexually Victimized Children, Free Press, New York.
- Finkelhor, D. (1988). The trauma of child sexual abuse: Two models. In Wyatt, G. E., and Powell, G. J. (eds.),Lasting Effects of Child Sexual Abuse, Sage, Newbury Park, Ca.
- Finkelhor, D., and Browne, A. (1985). The traumatic impact of child sexual abuse: A conceptualization.Am. J. Orthopsychiatry 55: 530–541.
- Fromuth, M. E. (1986). The relationship of childhood sexual abuse with later psychological and sexual adjustment in a sample of college women.Child Abuse Negl. 10: 5–15.
- Gelles, R. J., and Cornell, C. P. (1985).Intimate Violence in Families, Beverly Hills, Sage, CA.
- Gelles, R. J., and Cornell, C. P. (1990).Intimate Violence in Families (second edition), Sage, Newbury Park.
- Gold, E. R. (1985).Long-Term Effects of Sexual Victimization in Childhood: An Attributional Approach, unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba.
- Hammen, C., Marks, Mayol, T. A., and DeMay, R. (1985). Depressive self-schemas, life stress, and vulnerability to depression.J. Abnorm. Psychol. 94: 308–319.
- Hammen, C., and Mayol, A. (1982). Depression and cognitive characteristics of stressful life-event types.J. Abnorm. Psychol. 91: 165–174.
- Harter, S., Alexander, P. C., and Neimenyer, R. A. (1988). Long term effects in incestuous child abuse in college women: Social adjustment, social cognition, and family characteristics.J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 56: 5–8.
- Haugaard, and Emery, R. E. (1989). Methodological issues in child abuse research.Child Abuse Negl. 13: 13–100.
- Hays, W. (1963).Statistics for Statistics, Harper and Row, New York.
- Karyl, J. (1992). Psychometric evaluation and validation of trauma symptom checklist (TSC-33) subscales. Manuscript in preparation.
- Lindberg, F. H., and Distad, L. J. (1985). Post-traumatic stress disorders in women who experienced childhood incest.Childhood Abuse Negl. 9: 329–334.
- McCord, J. (1983). A forty-year perspective on effects of child abuse and neglect.Child Abuse Negl. 7: 265–270.
- McLeer, S. V., Deblinger, E., Atkins, M.S., Fou, E.B., and Ralphe, D. L. (1988). Post-traumatic stress disorder in sexually abused children.J. Child Adol. Psychiatry 27: 650–654.
- Newberger, C. M., and De Vos, E. (1988). Abuse and victimization: A life span developmental model.Am. J. Orthopsychiatry 58: 505–511.
- Peters, S. D. (1988). Child sexual abuse and later psychological problems. In G. E. Wyatt, and G. J., Powell (Eds.).Lasting Effects of Child Sexual Abuse, Sage, Newbury Park, pp. 101–118.
- Robins, C. J., and Block, P., (1988). Personal vulnerability, life events and depressive symptoms: A test of a specific interactional model.J. Person. Social Psychol. 54: 847–852.
- Russel, D.E.H. (1986).The Secret Trauma. Incest in the Lives of Girls and Women, Basic Books, New York.
- Sedney, M. A., and Brooks, B. (1984). Factors associated with a history of childhood sexual experience in a nonclinical female population.J. Am. Acad. Child Psychiatry 23: 215–216.
- Silvern, L. E., and Kaersvang, L. (1989). The traumatized children of violent marriages.Child Welfare 68: 421–436.
- Stein, J., Galding, J. M., Seigel, J. M., Buram, M. A., and Sorenson, S. B. (1988). Long-term psychological sequelae of child sexual abuse. In G. E. Wyatt, and G. J. Powell (Eds.).Lasting Effects of Child Sexual Abuse, Sage, Newbury Park.
- Straus, M., Gelles, R., and Steinmets, S. K. (1980).Behind Closed Doors: Violence in the American Family, Anchor Press, Garden City.
- Terr, L. C. (1990).Too Scared to Cry: Psychic Trauma in Childhood, Harper & Row, New York.
- Tsai, M., Feldman-Summers, S., and Edgar, M. (1979). Childhood molestation: Variables related to differential impacts on psychosexual functioning in adult women.J. Abnorm. Psychol. 88: 407–417.
- Van der Kalk, B. A. (1988). The trauma spectrum: the interaction of biological and social events in the genesis of the trauma response.J. Traum. Stress 1: 273–289.
- Van der Kalk, B. A. (1989). The compulsion to repeat the trauma: Re-enactment, revictimization, and masochism.Psychiatric Clin. North Am. 12: 389–411.
- Widom, C. S. (1989). The cycle of violence.Science 224: 160–166.
- Wilson, J. P., Smith, W. K., and Johnson, S. K. (1985). A comparative analysis of PTSD among various survivor groups. In Figley, C. R. (Ed.),Trauma and Its Wake (Vol. I). Bruner/Mazel, New York, pp. 142–172.
- Zynda, P. (1986).Longterm Effects of Childhood Sexual Abuse, Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, University of Colorado, Boulder.
- Type and extent of child abuse as predictors of adult functioning
Journal of Family Violence
Volume 7, Issue 4 , pp 261-281
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- sexual abuse
- physical abuse