When parents kill their young children: Detroit 1982–1986
- Ann Goetting
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The population of 36 parents or parent figures arrested for killing their children or charges, who were under the age of 6 years in Detroit, Michigan, between 1982 and 1986, are described in the context of their deadly acts. This profile of parent-on-child homicide includes demographic and social characteristics of offenders and victims, circumstances of offense, andarrest and court dispositions.
- Bensing, R. C., Schroeder, O., and Jackson, P. B. (1960).Homicide in an Urban Community. Charles C. Thomas, Springfield, Ill.
- Cross, C. (1986, July). Media Relations Manager, Michigan Bell Telephone Company, Detroit, Michigan. Telephone communication.
- Felson, R. B., and Steadman, H. J. (1983). Situational factors in disputes leading to criminal violence.Criminology 21: 59–74.
- Goetting, A. (1985). Patterns of homicide among the elderly. Presented at the annual meeting of the American Society of Criminology, San Diego.
- Kempe, C. H., Silverman, F. N., Steele, B. F., Droegemueller, and Silver, H. K. (1962). The battered child syndrome.J. Am. Med. Ass. 181: 17–24.
- Myers, S. A. (1970). Maternal filicide.Am. J. Disabl. Child. 120: 534–536.
- Pokorney, A. D. (1965). A comparison of homicides in two cities.J. Crimin. Law Criminal. Police Sci. 56: 479–487.
- Resnick, P. J. (1969). Child murder by parents: A psychiatric review of filicide.Am. J. Psychiat. 126: 325–334.
- Resnick, P. J. (1970). Murder of the newborn: A psychiatric review of neonaticide.Am. J. Psychiat. 126: 1414–1420.
- Scott, P. D. (1973). Fatal battered baby cases.Med. Sci. Law 13: 197–206.
- Smith, B. (1985, January 17). Assistant Administrator, Office of Wayne County Prosecuting Attorney. Personal communication.
- Swigert, V. L., and Farrell, R. A. (1978). Patterns in criminal homicide: Theory and research. In Wickman, P., and Whitten, P. (eds.),Readings in Criminology, Heath Lexington Books, Lexington, Mass., pp. 191–206.
- Totman, J. (1978).The Murderess: A Psychosocial Study of Criminal Homicide, R and E Associates, San Francisco, Calif.
- Voss, H. L., and Hepburn, J. R. (1968). Patterns in criminal homicide in Chicago.J. Crimin. Law Criminal. Police Sci. 59: 499–508.
- Weisheit, R. A. (1986). When mothers kill their children.Social Sci. J. 23: 439–448.
- Wolfgang, M. E. (1958).Patterns of Criminal Homicide, University of Pennsylvania Press, Philadelphia.
- When parents kill their young children: Detroit 1982–1986
Journal of Family Violence
Volume 3, Issue 4 , pp 339-346
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- child abuse
- child homicide
- Ann Goetting (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Western Kentucky University, 42101, Bowling Green, Kentucky