When parents kill their young children: Detroit 1982–1986
- Ann Goetting
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The population of 36 parents or parent figures arrested for killing their children or charges, who were under the age of 6 years in Detroit, Michigan, between 1982 and 1986, are described in the context of their deadly acts. This profile of parent-on-child homicide includes demographic and social characteristics of offenders and victims, circumstances of offense, andarrest and court dispositions.
- Bensing, R. C., Schroeder, O., and Jackson, P. B. (1960).Homicide in an Urban Community. Charles C. Thomas, Springfield, Ill.
- Cross, C. (1986, July). Media Relations Manager, Michigan Bell Telephone Company, Detroit, Michigan. Telephone communication.
- Felson, R. B., and Steadman, H. J. (1983). Situational factors in disputes leading to criminal violence.Criminology 21: 59–74.
- Goetting, A. (1985). Patterns of homicide among the elderly. Presented at the annual meeting of the American Society of Criminology, San Diego.
- Kempe, C. H., Silverman, F. N., Steele, B. F., Droegemueller, and Silver, H. K. (1962). The battered child syndrome.J. Am. Med. Ass. 181: 17–24.
- Myers, S. A. (1970). Maternal filicide.Am. J. Disabl. Child. 120: 534–536.
- Pokorney, A. D. (1965). A comparison of homicides in two cities.J. Crimin. Law Criminal. Police Sci. 56: 479–487.
- Resnick, P. J. (1969). Child murder by parents: A psychiatric review of filicide.Am. J. Psychiat. 126: 325–334.
- Resnick, P. J. (1970). Murder of the newborn: A psychiatric review of neonaticide.Am. J. Psychiat. 126: 1414–1420.
- Scott, P. D. (1973). Fatal battered baby cases.Med. Sci. Law 13: 197–206.
- Smith, B. (1985, January 17). Assistant Administrator, Office of Wayne County Prosecuting Attorney. Personal communication.
- Swigert, V. L., and Farrell, R. A. (1978). Patterns in criminal homicide: Theory and research. In Wickman, P., and Whitten, P. (eds.),Readings in Criminology, Heath Lexington Books, Lexington, Mass., pp. 191–206.
- Totman, J. (1978).The Murderess: A Psychosocial Study of Criminal Homicide, R and E Associates, San Francisco, Calif.
- Voss, H. L., and Hepburn, J. R. (1968). Patterns in criminal homicide in Chicago.J. Crimin. Law Criminal. Police Sci. 59: 499–508.
- Weisheit, R. A. (1986). When mothers kill their children.Social Sci. J. 23: 439–448.
- Wolfgang, M. E. (1958).Patterns of Criminal Homicide, University of Pennsylvania Press, Philadelphia.
- When parents kill their young children: Detroit 1982–1986
Journal of Family Violence
Volume 3, Issue 4 , pp 339-346
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- child abuse
- child homicide
- Ann Goetting (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Western Kentucky University, 42101, Bowling Green, Kentucky