Misrepresenting & malfunctioning
- Karen Neander
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper has gone through a number of drafts, and an early version was first presented at the Australasian Philosophy Conference, Melbourne, July 1991. It has benefited from discussions with many people, and I am especially grateful to my colleagues at the ANU, RSSS, and to the staff and students at Rutgers University. I am much indebted to Georges Rey, for his invaluable comments on several drafts, and to Ruth Millikan for some very enjoyable and useful discussions during The Blizzard of '93.
- Agar, N. (1993) ‘What Do Frogs Really Believe?,’Australasian Journal of Philosophy 71: 162–185.
- Beckner, M. (1959)The Biological Way of Thought (New York: Columbia University Press).
- Boorse, C. (1975) ‘On the Distinction between Disease and Illness,’Philosophy and Public Affairs 5(1): 49–68.
- Cummins, R. (1975) ‘Functional Analysis,’Journal of Philosophy 72:741–765.
- Cummins, R. (1983)The Nature of Psychological Explanation (Cambridge, Mass: MIT Press).
- Dretske, F. (1986) ‘Misrepresentation,’ in R. Bogdan (ed.),Belief (Oxford University Press: Oxford, UK). Reprinted in Lycan,Mind and Cognition (1990) listed below.
- Dretske, F. (1988)Explaining Behavior (Cambridge, Mass: MIT Press).
- Dretske, F. (1990) ‘Seeing, Believing, and Knowing,’ in Dan Osherman (ed.),Visual Cognition and Action (Cambridge, MA: MIT Press).
- Fodor, J. (1975)The Language of Thought (New York: Crowell).
- Fodor, J. (1981) ‘The Current Status of the Innateness Controversy,’ in Fodor (ed.),Representations (Cambridge, Mass: MIT Press).
- Fodor, J. (1984) ‘Semantics Wisconsin Style,’Synthese 59: 231–250. Reprinted in Fodor (ed.),A Theory of Content and Other Essays (Cambridge, Mass: MIT Press, 1990).
- Fodor, J. and Pylyshyn, Z. (1981) ‘How Direct is Visual Perception? Some Reflections on Gibson's “Ecological Approach”,’Cognition 9: 139–196.
- Fodor, J. (1991) ‘Replies’ in Barry Loewer and Georges Rey (eds.),Meaning in Mind, Fodor and His Critics (op. cit.) Oxford, UK: Basil Blackwell.
- Fodor, J. (1991) ‘Replies’ in Barry Loewer and Georges Rey (eds.),Meaning in Mind, Fodor and His Critics (op. cit.) (Oxford, UK: Basil Blackwell).
- Griffiths, P. and Goode, R. (1995), ‘The Misuse of Sober's Selection for/Selection of Distinction,’Biology and Philosophy 10(1): 99–108.
- Hall, R. (1990) ‘Does Representational Content Arise from Biological Function?’,Philosophy of Science Association 1: 193–199.
- Kaplan, D. (1978) ‘Dthat,’ in P. Cole (ed.),Syntax and Semantics 9: Pragmatics (New York, Academic Press).
- Lettvin, J., Maturana H., McCulloch W. and Pitts, W. (1959) ‘What the Frog's Eye Tells the Frog's Brain,’Proceedings of the Institute of Radio Engineers: 1940–51.
- Lycan, W. (1990) ‘Levels of Nature,’Mind and Cognition: A Reader (Cambridge, MA: Basil Blackwell).
- McGinn, C. (1982) ‘The Structure of Content,’ in A. Woodfield (ed.),Thought and Object. Essays on Intentionality (Oxford: Oxford University Press).
- Millikan, R. (1984)Language, Thought, and Other Biological Categories (Cambridge, Mass: MIT Press).
- Millikan, R. (1986) ‘Thoughts Without Laws: Cognitive Science with Content,’The Philosophical Review XCV: 47–80.
- Millikan, R. (1989) ‘In Defence of Proper Functions,’Philosophy of Science 56, 288–303.
- Millikan, R. (1990(a)) ‘Biosemantics,’The Journal of Philosophy LXXXVI: 281–297.
- Millikan, R. (1990(b)) ‘Truth Rules, Hoverflies, and the Kripke-Wittgenstein Paradox,’The Philosophical Review, pp. 323–354.
- Millikan, R. (1991) ‘Speaking up for Darwin,’ in Barry Loewer and Georges Rey (eds.),Meaning in Mind, Fodor and his Critics (Oxford, UK: Basil Blackwell).
- Neander, K. (1983)Abnormal Psychobiology, Ph.D. thesis, La Trobe University.
- Neander, K. (1991(a)) ‘Functions as Selected Effects: The Conceptual Analysts Defence’,Philosophy of Science 58: 168–184.
- Neander, K. (1991(b)) ‘The Teleological Notion of a Function,’Australasian Journal of Philosophy 69: 454–468.
- Papineau, D. (1987)Reality and Representation (Oxford: Basil Blackwell).
- Peacocke, C. (1992)A Study of Concepts (Cambridge, Mass: Bradford.)
- Pietroski, P. (1992) ‘Intentionality and Teleological Error,’Pacific Philosophical Quarterly 73(3): 267–282.
- Rey, G. (1993), ‘The Unavailability of What We Mean: A Reply to Quine, Fodor and LePore,Grazer Philosophische Studien 46: 61–101.
- Sober, E. (1984)The Nature of Selection (Cambridge, MA: Bradford, MIT).
- Sterelny, R. (1990)The Representational Theory of Mind (Oxford: Basil Blackwell).
- Wright, L. (1973) ‘Functions,’The Philosophical Review 82: 139–168.
- Wright, L. (1976)Teleological Explanations (Berkeley: University of California Press).
- Misrepresenting & malfunctioning
Volume 79, Issue 2 , pp 109-141
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Karen Neander (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Philosophy Program Research School of Social Sciences, Australian National University, 0200, Canberra, Australia