Activating voters in congressional elections
- Gary W. Copeland
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper shows that one of the consequences of electoral campaigns is activation. Much research in the last decade has shown that campaign spending is related to electoral outcomes, but nearly all of this research has been conducted on district-level data, so we do not know how campaigns influence individual voters. This research returns to the theoretical framework offered inThe People's Choice and shows that at least part of the effect of campaigns is due to the increased likelihood of people voting when campaigns are more intense.
- Burnham, Walter Dean (1965). “The Changing Shape of the American Political Universe.”American Political Science Review 59:7–28.
- Congressional Quarterly Weekly Report (1975). 33:790–794.
- Congressional Quarterly Weekly Report (1977). 35:2305–2311.
- Congressional Quarterly Weekly Report (1979). 37:543.
- Copeland, Gary W., and Samuel C. Patterson (1977). “Reform of Congressional Campaign Spending.”Policy Studies Journal 5:424–432.
- Dawson, Paul, and James E. Zinser (1971). “Broadcast Expenditures and Electoral Outcomes in the 1970 Congressional Election.”Public Opinion Quarterly 35:398–402.
- Dawson, Paul, and James E. Zinser (1976). “Political Finance and Participation in Congressional Elections.”The Annals 425:59–73.
- Glantz, Stanton A., Alan I. Abramowitz, and Michael P. Burkhart (1976). “Election Outcomes: Whose Money Matters.”Journal of Politics 38:1033–1038.
- Jacobson, Gary C. (1978). “The Effects of Campaign Spending in Congressional Elections.”American Political Science Review 72:469–491.
- Jacobson, Gary C. (1980).Money in Congressional Elections. New Haven: Yale University Press.
- Jacobson, Gary C., and Samuel Kernell (1981)Strategy and Choice in Congressional Elections. New Haven: Yale University Press.
- Kmenta, Jan (1971).Elements of Econometrics. New York: MacMillan.
- Lazarsfeld, Paul F., Bernard Berelson, and Hazel Gaudet (1944).The People's Choice. New York: Columbia University Press.
- Mann, Thomas E. (1978).Unsafe at Any Margin. Washington, D. C.: American Enterprise Institute.
- Nimmo, Dan (1970).The Political Persuaders. Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall.
- Ornstein, Norman J., Thomas E. Mann, Michael J. Malbin, and John F. Bibby (1982).Vital Statistics on Congress, 1982. Washington, D. C.: American Enterprise Institute.
- Pindyck, Robert S., and Daniel L. Rubinfeld (1976).Econometric Models and Economic Forecasts. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Activating voters in congressional elections
Volume 5, Issue 4 , pp 391-401
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Gary W. Copeland (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Carl Albert Congressional Research and Studies Center and Department of Political Science, University of Oklahoma, USA