The social role of scent marking in beaver (Castor Canadensis)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Beaver colonies with close neighbors constructed more “scent mounds” than did isolated colonies, and the number of scent mounds at each active lodge is correlated with the distance to the nearest occupied lodge. The scent mounds were typically located at trails, also on lodges and dams. The beaver rebuilt experimentally removed scent mounds. Experimentally scent-marked unoccupied lodges were less often visited or inhabited than unscented control lodges. Resident beaver responded to artificial scent marks near their lodges with aggressive behavior and increased activity. We conclude that scent mounds serve in delineating family territories and are effective in deterring transient beaver from utilizing existing but uninhabited lodges.
- Aleksiuk, M. 1968. Scent mound communication, territoriality, and population regulation in the beaver.J. Mammal. 49:759–762.
- Bohlmann, F., Winterfeldt, E., Laurent, H., andUde, W. 1963. Synthese des DL-Castora-mins.Tetrahedron 19:195–208.
- Bradt, G.W. 1938. A study of beaver colonies in Michigan.J. Mammal. 19:139–162.
- Hay, K.G. 1958. Beaver census methods in the Rocky Mountain region.J. Wildl. Manage. 22:395–402.
- Hodgdon, H.E., andLarson, J.S. 1973. Some sexual differences in behaviour within a colony of marked beavers (Castor canadensis).Anim. Behav. 21:147–152.
- Lederer, E. 1950. Odeurs et parfums des animaux.Fortschr. Chem. Organ. Naturstoffe 6:87–153.
- Leighton, A. H. 1933. Notes on the relations of beavers to one another and to the muskrat.J. Mammal. 14:27–35.
- Maurer, B., andOhloff, G. 1976. Zur Kenntnis der stickstoffhaltigen Inhaltsstoffe von Castoreum.Helv. Chim. Acta 59:1169–1185.
- Mykytowycz, R. 1962. Territorial function of chin gland secretion in the rabbit,Oryctolagus cuniculus (L.).Nature 193:799.
- Mykytowycz, R. 1965. Further observations on the territorial function and histology of the submandibular cutaneous (chin) glands in the rabbit,Oryctolagus cuniculus (L.).Anim. Behav. 13:400–412.
- Novak, M. 1977. Determining the average size and composition of beaver families.J. Wildl. Manage. 41:751–754.
- Schaffer, J. 1940. Die Hautdrüsenorgane der Säugetiere. Urban and Schwarzenberg, Berlin and Vienna, 464 pp.
- Svendsen, G.E. 1978. Castor and anal glands of the beaver.J. Mammal. 59:618–620.
- Svendsen, G.E., andFabel, J.W. 1977. Frequency and the distribution of scent mounds in a population of beaver (Castor canadensis). Ann. Meet. Anim. Behav. Soc. Penn. State Univ. June 5–10, 1977 (abstract).
- Svendsen, G.E., andJollick, J.D. 1978. Bacterial contents of the anal and castor glands of beaver (Castor canadensis).J. Chem. Ecol. 4:563–569.
- Townsend, J.E. 1953. Beaver ecology in western Montana with special reference to movements.J. Mammal. 34:459–479.
- Valenta, Z., andKhaleque, A. 1959. The structure of castoramine.Tetrahedron Lett. 12:1–5.
- Wilsson, L. 1971. Observations and experiments on the ethology of the European beaver (Castor fiber L.).Viltrevy (Swedish Wildl.) 8:1–266.
- The social role of scent marking in beaver (Castor Canadensis)
Journal of Chemical Ecology
Volume 6, Issue 1 , pp 81-95
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Castor canadensis
- deterrent function
- field experiment
- scent marking
- Industry Sectors