The third place
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This article examines the benefits that accrue from the utilization and personalization of places outside the workplace and the home. It is argued that participation in these third places provides people with a large measure of their sense of wholeness and distinctiveness. Third places are characterized in terms of sociability and nondiscursive symbolism. The benefits of third place involvement are discussed with reference to diversity and novelty, emotional expressiveness, color, and perspective.
- Addison, Joseph The Spectator, No. 9, Saturday, March 10, 10, 1711. In: Bond, Donald F. eds. (1965) The Spectator. Clarendon, Londonpp. 42
- Berger, Peter (1963) Invitation to Sociology. Doubleday, New York
- Clinard, Marshall The Public Drinking House and Society. In: Pittman, David J., Snyder, Charles R. eds. (1962) Society, Culture and Drinking Patterns. Wiley, New York
- Crosby, John 1964 “Aristocracy of the Teenager,” The Minneapolis Star, Sept. 5.
- Csikszentmihalyi, Mihaly (1975) Beyond Boredom and Anxiety. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco
- Emerson, Ralph Waldo Experience. In: Atkinson, Brooks eds. (1940) The Complete Essays and Other Writings of Ralph Waldo Emerson. The Modern Library, New York
- Fullerton, Gail Putney (1977) Survival in Marriage. Dryden, Hinsdale, Ill.
- Huizinga, Johann (1955) Homo Ludens. Beacon, Boston
- Johnson, Samuel 1759 The Idler, No. 58.
- Klapp, Orrin E. (1969) Collective Search for Identity. Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York
- Motz, Annabelle B. The Family as a Company of Players. In: Lopata, Helena Z. eds. (1973) Marriages and Families. D. Van Nostrand, New Yorkpp. 346
- Rexroth, Kenneth (1975) The Decline of American Humor. The Nation 184: pp. 374-376
- Riesman, David, Denney, R., Glazer, N. (1950) The Lonely Crowd. Yale University Press, New Haven
- Sennett, Richard The Brutality of Modern Families. In: Lopata, Helena Z. eds. (1973) Marriages and Families. D. Van Nostrand, New Yorkpp. 81
- Simmel, Georg (1949) The Sociology Of Sociability. American Journal of Sociology LV: pp. 254-261
- Spectorsky, A.C. (1958) The Exurbanites. Berkley, New York
- Stein, Maurice (1960) The Eclipse of the Community. Princeton University, Princeton, N.J.
- Thomas, W.I., Znaniecki, F. (1918) The Polish Peasant in Europe and America. University of Chicago, Chicago
- Wechsberg, Joseph (1966) The Viennese Coffee House: A Romantic Institution. Gourmet 12: pp. 16
- The third place
Volume 5, Issue 4 , pp 265-284
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors