Intradiffusion coefficients for perchlorate ions in zinc perchlorate and zinc chloride solutions at 25°C: Comparing transport properties of zinc chloride and zinc perchlorate systems
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Intradiffusion coefficients for36ClO 4 − have been measured in solutions of zinc perchlorate of concentration 0.1 to 3 mol dm−3 at 25°C by the diaphragm cell technique. In addition, intradiffusion coefficients for perchlorate ions in zinc chloride solutions have been measured over a concentration range at 25°C. The results confirm previous work on the effect of complexation on diffusion in zinc chloride solutions above a salt concentration of 0.1M. The present data, together with literature data for diffusion coefficients of the other species present in the zinc perchlorate electrolyte system, have enabled a simple analysis of the hydration around the zinc ions to be carried out. This indicates that the water diffusion data are consistent with the zinc ions having an effective hydration sphere of 11 (±2) water molecules. This is in keeping with values obtained for other simple divalent electrolytes using the same model. The model is extended here to allow analysis of water diffusion in zinc chloride solutions taking into account the presence of complexed chloro-zinc species. The experimental data are consistent with the effective hydration of the chloro-zinc complexes being independent of the number of chloride ligands and equal to 18±3 over a concentration range of 0 tol mol-dm−3. This postulate is discussed in terms of its consequences on the water ligand dynamics for the complex equilibria.
- D. G. Miller and J. A. Rard,J. Mole. Liquids 52, 145 (1992).
- W. E. Price, L. A. Woolf, and K. R. Harris,J. Phys. Chem. 94, 5109 (1990).
- H. Weingärtner, K. J. Muller, H. G. Hertz, A. V. J. Edge, and R. Mills,J. Phys. Chem. 88, 2173 (1984).
- W. E. Price and L. A. Woolf,J. Solution Chem. 22, 873 (1993).
- W. E. Price and L. A. Woolf,Ber. Bunsengesell. Phys. Chemie 94, 381 (1990).
- A. J. Easteal, W. E. Price, and L. A. Woolf,J. Phys. Chem. 93, 7517 (1989).
- H. A. Flashka,EDTA Titrations, 2nd edn. (Pergamon, Oxford, 1964).
- R. Mills and L. A. Woolf,The Diaphragm Cell (ANU Press, Canberra, 1968).
- R. Mills and V. M. M. Lobo,Self-Diffusion in Electrolytes (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1989).
- A. Agnew, and R. Paterson,J. Chem. Soc. Faraday Trans.I 74, 2885, (1978).
- R. H. Stokes, L. A. Woolf, and R. Mills,J. Phys. Chem. 61, 1634, (1957).
- P. S. Salmon, W. S. Howell, and R. Mills,J. Phys. Chem. 20, 5727, (1987).
- H. L. Friedman,Chem. Scr. 25, 42, (1985).
- G. W. Neilson, inWater and Aqueous Solutions, G. W. Neilson and J. E. Enderby, eds. (Adam Hilger, Bristol, 1986).
- R. R. Pappalardo and E. S. Marcos,J. Phys. Chem. 97, 4500, (1993).
- E. Högfeldt,Stability Constants of Metal Ion Complexes. Part A: Inorganic Ligands. IUPAC, Chemical Data Series Volume 21 (Pergamon, Oxford 1982).
- R. M. Smith and A. E. Martell,Critical Stability Constants. Vol. 4: Inorganic Complexes (Plenum, New York, 1976).
- P. S. Salmon,J. Phys. Chem. 93, 1182, (1989).
- R. G. Wilkins,Kinetics and Mechanism of Reactions of Transition Metal Complexes (VCH, Weinheim, 1991), Chaps. 4 and 5 and refs. therein.
- Intradiffusion coefficients for perchlorate ions in zinc perchlorate and zinc chloride solutions at 25°C: Comparing transport properties of zinc chloride and zinc perchlorate systems
Journal of Solution Chemistry
Volume 24, Issue 3 , pp 211-225
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- perchlorate ions
- zinc chloride
- zinc perchlorate
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Chemistry, University of Wollongong, Northfields Avenue, 2522, Wollongong, NSW, Australia
- 2. Diffusion Research Unit, Atomic and Molecular Physics Labs., Research School of Physical Sciences and Engineering, Australian National University, 2601, Canberra, ACT, Australia