A prospective examination of post-traumatic stress disorder in rape victims
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and related psychopathology were examined in 95 female rape victims beginning soon after the assault (mean=12.64 days). Subjects were assessed weekly for 12 weeks. Ninety-four percent of women met symptomatic criteria for PTSD at Assessment 1, decreasing to 65% at Assessment 4 (mean=35 days postassault), and 47% at Assessment 12 (mean=94 days postassault). PTSD and related psychopathology decreased sharply between Assessments 1 and 4 for all women. Women whose PTSD persisted throughout the 3-month study did not show improvement after the fourth assessment; women who did not meet criteria for PTSD 3 months postassault showed steady improvement over time. This pattern was evidenced even after initial PTSD severity was statistically controlled. Moreover, PTSD status at 3 months postassault could be predicted with a high degree of accuracy by two brief self-report measures administered at the first assessment. The implications of the present findings and directions for future research are discussed.
- American Psychiatric Association (1987).Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (third edition-revised). Washington, D.C.: Author.
- Atkeson, B., Calhoun, K., Resick, P., and Ellis, E. (1982). Victims of rape: Repeated assessment of depressive symptoms.J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 50: 96–102.
- Beck, A. T., and Ward, C. H., Mendelssohn, M., Mock, J., and Erbaugh, J. (1961). An inventory for measuring depression.Arch. Gen. Psychiatry 4: 561–571.
- Burgess, A. W., and Holstrom, L. L. (1974).Rape: Victims of Crisis R. J. Brady Company, Bowie, Md., Chapter 3, p. 15.
- Calhoun, K. S., Atkeson, B. M., and Resick, P. A. (1982). A longitudinal examination of fear reactions in victims of rape.J. Counsel. Psychol. 29: 655–661.
- Davidson, J., Smith, R., and Kudler, H. (1992). Validity and reliability of the DSM-III criteria for post traumatic stress disorder: Experience with a structured interview.J. Nerv. Men. Dis. In press.
- Ellis, E. M., Atkeson, B. M., and Calhoun, K. S. (1981). An assessment of long-term reaction to rape.J. Abnorm. Psychol. 90: 263–266.
- Foa, E. B., Rothbaum, B. O., Murdock, T., and Riggs, D. S. (1991). The treatment of PTSD in rape rictims.J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 59: 715–723.
- Frank, E., and Stewart, B. D. (1984). Depressive symptoms in rape victims. A revisit.J. Affect. Dis. 7: 77–85.
- Frank, E., Turner, S. M., and Duffy, B. (1979). Depressive symptoms in rape victims.J. Affect. Dis. 1: 269–277.
- Grinker, R. R., and Spiegel, J. P. (1943).War Neurosis in North Africa, the Tunisian Campaign, January to May 1943 Josiah Macy Foundtion, New York.
- Horowitz, M. J., Wilner, N., and Alvarez, W. (1979). Impact of event scale: A measure of subjective distress.Psychosom. Med. 41: 207–218.
- Kardiner, A. (1941).The Traumatic Neurosis of War Psychosomatic Medicine Monograph II-III, Paul B. Hoeber, New York.
- Kilpatrick, D. G. (1988). Rape aftermath symptom test. In Hersen, M., and Bellack, A. S. (eds.),Dictionary of Behavioral Assessment Techniques Pergamon Press, Oxford.
- Kilpatrick, D. G., Amick, A., and Resnick, H. S. (1988, September).Preliminary Research Data on Post-traumatic Stress Disorder Following Murders and Drunk Driving Crashes, Paper presented at the National Organization for Victim Assistance's 14th Annual Meeting, Tucson, Arizona.
- Kilpatrick, D. G., Resick, P. A., and Veronen, L. J. (1981). Effects of a rape experience: A longitudinal study.J. Social Issues 37: 105–122.
- Kilpatrick, D. G., Saunders, B. E., Veronen, L. J., Best, C. L., and Von, J. M. (1987). Criminal victimization: Lifetime prevalence, reporting to police, and psychological impact.Crime Delinq. 33: 479–489.
- Kilpatrick, D. G., and Veronen, L. J. (1984).Treatment of Fear and Anxiety in Victims of Rape (Final Report, Grant R01 MH29602), National Institute of Mental Health, Rockville, Md.
- Kilpatrick, D. G., Veronen, L. J., and Resick, P. A. (1979a). Assessment of the aftermath of rape: Changing patterns of fear.J. Behav. Assess. 1: 133–148.
- Kilpatrick, D. G., Veronen, L. J., and Resick, P. A. (1979b). The aftermath of rape: Recent empirical findings.Am. J. Orthopsychiatry 49: 658–659.
- Koss, M. P., Gidycz, C. A., and Wisniewski, N. (1987). The scope of rape: Incidence and prevalence of sexual aggression and victimization in a national sample of higher education students.J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 55: 162–170.
- Nadelson, C. C., Notman, M. T., Zackson, H., and Gornick, J. (1982). A follow-up study of rape victims.Am. J. Psychiatry 139: 1266–1270.
- Page, H. (1885).Injuries of the Spine and Spinal Cord Without Apparent Mechanical Lesion J. & A. Churchill, London.
- Putnam, J. J. (1881). Recent investigations into patients of so-called concussion of the spine.Bot. Med. Surg. J. 109: 217.
- Rado, S. (1942). Pathodynamics and treatment of traumatic war neurosis (traumatophobia).Psychosom. Med. 42: 363–368.
- Resick, P. (1987).Reactions of Female and Male Victims of Rape or Robbery, Final Report, NIJ Grant MH 37296.
- Resick, P. A., Jordan, C. G., and Girelli, S. A., Hutter, C. K., and Marhoefer-Dvorak, S. (1988). A comparative outcome study of behavioral group therapy for sexual assault victims.Behav. Ther. 19: 385–401.
- Resnick, H. S., Veronen, L. J., Saunders, B. E., Kilpatrick, D. G., and Cornelison, V. (1989).Assessment of PTSD in a Subset of Rape Victims at 12 to 36 Months Post-Assault, Unpublished manuscript.
- Rigler, R. (1879). Bever die Folgen der Verletzungen auf Eisenbahnen, insbesondere der Verletzungen des Ruckenmarks.Mit Hinblick auf das Haftpflichfgesetz dargestellf, VIII,124, 80, Berlin, Germany.
- Spielberger, C. D. Gorsuch, R. L., and Luschene, R. E. (1970).Manual for the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory (self-evaluation questionnaire) Consulting Psychologists Press, Palo Alto, Calif.
- Steketee, G., and Foa, E. B. (1987). Rape victims: Post-traumatic stress responses and their treatment.J. Anx. Dis. 1: 69–86.
- Veronen, L. J. and Kilpatrick, D. G. (1983). Stress management for rape victims. In Meichenbaum, D., and Jaremko, M. E. (eds.),Stress Reduction and Prevention Plenum Press, New York, pp. 341–374.
- A prospective examination of post-traumatic stress disorder in rape victims
Journal of Traumatic Stress
Volume 5, Issue 3 , pp 455-475
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links