A prospective examination of post-traumatic stress disorder in rape victims
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and related psychopathology were examined in 95 female rape victims beginning soon after the assault (mean=12.64 days). Subjects were assessed weekly for 12 weeks. Ninety-four percent of women met symptomatic criteria for PTSD at Assessment 1, decreasing to 65% at Assessment 4 (mean=35 days postassault), and 47% at Assessment 12 (mean=94 days postassault). PTSD and related psychopathology decreased sharply between Assessments 1 and 4 for all women. Women whose PTSD persisted throughout the 3-month study did not show improvement after the fourth assessment; women who did not meet criteria for PTSD 3 months postassault showed steady improvement over time. This pattern was evidenced even after initial PTSD severity was statistically controlled. Moreover, PTSD status at 3 months postassault could be predicted with a high degree of accuracy by two brief self-report measures administered at the first assessment. The implications of the present findings and directions for future research are discussed.
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Author, Washington, D.C.
- Atkeson, B., Calhoun, K., Resick, P., Ellis, E. (1982) Victims of rape: Repeated assessment of depressive symptoms. J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 50: pp. 96-102
- Beck, A. T., Ward, C. H., Mendelssohn, M., Mock, J., Erbaugh, J. (1961) An inventory for measuring depression. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry 4: pp. 561-571
- Burgess, A. W., Holstrom, L. L. (1974) Rape: Victims of Crisis. R. J. Brady Company, Bowie, Md.
- Calhoun, K. S., Atkeson, B. M., Resick, P. A. (1982) A longitudinal examination of fear reactions in victims of rape. J. Counsel. Psychol. 29: pp. 655-661
- Davidson, J., Smith, R., and Kudler, H. (1992). Validity and reliability of the DSM-III criteria for post traumatic stress disorder: Experience with a structured interview.J. Nerv. Men. Dis. In press.
- Ellis, E. M., Atkeson, B. M., Calhoun, K. S. (1981) An assessment of long-term reaction to rape. J. Abnorm. Psychol. 90: pp. 263-266
- Foa, E. B., Rothbaum, B. O., Murdock, T., Riggs, D. S. (1991) The treatment of PTSD in rape rictims. J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 59: pp. 715-723
- Frank, E., Stewart, B. D. (1984) Depressive symptoms in rape victims. A revisit. J. Affect. Dis. 7: pp. 77-85
- Frank, E., Turner, S. M., Duffy, B. (1979) Depressive symptoms in rape victims. J. Affect. Dis. 1: pp. 269-277
- Grinker, R. R., Spiegel, J. P. (1943) War Neurosis in North Africa, the Tunisian Campaign, January to May 1943. Josiah Macy Foundtion, New York
- Horowitz, M. J., Wilner, N., Alvarez, W. (1979) Impact of event scale: A measure of subjective distress. Psychosom. Med. 41: pp. 207-218
- Kardiner, A. (1941) The Traumatic Neurosis of War. Paul B. Hoeber, New York
- Kilpatrick, D. G. Rape aftermath symptom test. In: Hersen, M., Bellack, A. S. eds. (1988) Dictionary of Behavioral Assessment Techniques. Pergamon Press, Oxford
- Kilpatrick, D. G., Amick, A., and Resnick, H. S. (1988, September).Preliminary Research Data on Post-traumatic Stress Disorder Following Murders and Drunk Driving Crashes, Paper presented at the National Organization for Victim Assistance's 14th Annual Meeting, Tucson, Arizona.
- Kilpatrick, D. G., Resick, P. A., Veronen, L. J. (1981) Effects of a rape experience: A longitudinal study. J. Social Issues 37: pp. 105-122
- Kilpatrick, D. G., Saunders, B. E., Veronen, L. J., Best, C. L., Von, J. M. (1987) Criminal victimization: Lifetime prevalence, reporting to police, and psychological impact. Crime Delinq. 33: pp. 479-489
- Kilpatrick, D. G., Veronen, L. J. (1984) Treatment of Fear and Anxiety in Victims of Rape. National Institute of Mental Health, Rockville, Md.
- Kilpatrick, D. G., Veronen, L. J., Resick, P. A. (1979) Assessment of the aftermath of rape: Changing patterns of fear. J. Behav. Assess. 1: pp. 133-148
- Kilpatrick, D. G., Veronen, L. J., Resick, P. A. (1979) The aftermath of rape: Recent empirical findings. Am. J. Orthopsychiatry 49: pp. 658-659
- Koss, M. P., Gidycz, C. A., Wisniewski, N. (1987) The scope of rape: Incidence and prevalence of sexual aggression and victimization in a national sample of higher education students. J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 55: pp. 162-170
- Nadelson, C. C., Notman, M. T., Zackson, H., Gornick, J. (1982) A follow-up study of rape victims. Am. J. Psychiatry 139: pp. 1266-1270
- Page, H. (1885) Injuries of the Spine and Spinal Cord Without Apparent Mechanical Lesion. J. & A. Churchill, London
- Putnam, J. J. (1881) Recent investigations into patients of so-called concussion of the spine. Bot. Med. Surg. J. 109: pp. 217
- Rado, S. (1942) Pathodynamics and treatment of traumatic war neurosis (traumatophobia). Psychosom. Med. 42: pp. 363-368
- Resick, P. (1987).Reactions of Female and Male Victims of Rape or Robbery, Final Report, NIJ Grant MH 37296.
- Resick, P. A., Jordan, C. G., Girelli, S. A., Hutter, C. K., Marhoefer-Dvorak, S. (1988) A comparative outcome study of behavioral group therapy for sexual assault victims. Behav. Ther. 19: pp. 385-401
- Resnick, H. S., Veronen, L. J., Saunders, B. E., Kilpatrick, D. G., and Cornelison, V. (1989).Assessment of PTSD in a Subset of Rape Victims at 12 to 36 Months Post-Assault, Unpublished manuscript.
- Rigler, R. (1879). Bever die Folgen der Verletzungen auf Eisenbahnen, insbesondere der Verletzungen des Ruckenmarks.Mit Hinblick auf das Haftpflichfgesetz dargestellf, VIII,124, 80, Berlin, Germany.
- Spielberger, C. D., Gorsuch, R. L., Luschene, R. E. (1970) Manual for the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory (self-evaluation questionnaire). Consulting Psychologists Press, Palo Alto, Calif.
- Steketee, G., Foa, E. B. (1987) Rape victims: Post-traumatic stress responses and their treatment. J. Anx. Dis. 1: pp. 69-86
- Veronen, L. J., Kilpatrick, D. G. Stress management for rape victims. In: Meichenbaum, D., Jaremko, M. E. eds. (1983) Stress Reduction and Prevention. Plenum Press, New York, pp. 341-374
- A prospective examination of post-traumatic stress disorder in rape victims
Journal of Traumatic Stress
Volume 5, Issue 3 , pp 455-475
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links