The effect of student-faculty interaction on students' educational outcomes
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This study examined the effects of four aspects of student-faculty interaction (frequency of formal interaction, frequency of informal interaction, quality of faculty advising, and helpfulness of faculty) on a variety of student outcomes after four years. These effects were examined within a context of a causal model adapted from Astin's general college impact model. Outcomes data were gathered from a 1975 Freshman Questionnaire and a 1979 Graduating Students Survey. The results provided support for the importance of student-faculty interaction on the intellectual and personal/social outcomes of college and students' satisfaction with their educational experience.
- Astin, A. The methodology of research on college impact (I).Sociology of Education 1970,43 223–254.
- Astin, A.Four critical years: effects of college on beliefs, attitudes, and knowledge. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1977.
- Astin, A., and Panos, R.The educational and vocational development of college students. Washington, D.C.: American Council on Education, 1969.
- Bean, J. Dropouts and turnover: the synthesis and test of a causal model of student attrition.Research in Higher Education 1980,12 155–187.
- Bowen, H. R.Investment in learning: the individual and social value of American higher education. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1977.
- Centra, J. A., and Rock, D. A. College environments and student academic achievement.American Educational Research Journal 1971,8 623–634.
- Chickering, A.Education and identity. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1969.
- Chickering, A., and McCormick, J. Personality development and the college experience.Research in Higher Education 1973,1 43–70.
- Cohen, S., Kamieniecki, S., and McGlen, N. Graduate student-faculty relationships,Teaching Political Science, 1 1980, 131–152.
- Duncan, O. D.Introduction to structural equation models. San Francisco: Academic Press, 1975.
- Endo, J. 1975–76 freshman class. Office of Academic Planning and Analysis, University of Colorado at Boulder, 1976.
- Endo, J., and Harpel, R. A longitudinal study of student outcomes at a state university. Paper presented at the 1980 Annual Meeting of the Association for Institutional Research, Atlanta, April 1980.
- Endo, J., and Lenning, O. Using the NCHEMS outcomes structure to test the adequacy of outcomes lists: tryout at a state university. Paper presented at the 1978 Annual Meeting of the Association for the Study of Higher Education, Chicago, March 1978.
- Feinberg, L. Faculty-student interaction: how students differ.Journal of College Student Personnel, 13 1972, 24–27.
- Feldman, K. A., and Newcomb, T. M.The impact of college on students, volume I: an analysis of four decades of research. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1969.
- Gaff, J. C. Making a difference: the impacts of faculty.Journal of Higher Education, 1973, 605–622.
- Goldberger, A. S., and Duncan, O. D.Structural equation models in the social sciences. New York: Seminar Press, 1973.
- Gregg, W. E. Several factors affecting graduate student satisfaction.Journal of Higher Education 1972,43 483–498.
- Grigg, C.Recruitment to graduate study: college seniors' plans for postgraduate education and their implementation the year after commencement. Atlanta: Southern Regional Education Board, 1965.
- Gurin, P., and Katz, D.Motivation and aspiration in the negro college. Ann Arbor, Michigan: University of Michigan Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research, 1966.
- Heise, D. R.Causal analysis, New York: Wiley, 1975.
- Heiss, A. M.Berkeley doctoral students appraise their academic programs.Educational Record 1967,48 30–44.
- Kim, J., and Mueller, C.Factor analysis: statistical methods and practical issues. Beverly Hills: Sage, 1978.
- Jöreskog, K. G. A general method for estimating a linear structural equation system. In A. S. Goldberger and O. D. Duncan (Eds.),Structural equation models in the social sciences. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1973.
- Jöreskog, K. G. Structural equation models in the social sciences: specification, estimation and testing. In P. R. Krishnaiah (Ed.),Application of statistics. Amsterdam: North Holland, 1977.
- Jöreskog, K. G., and Sorbom, D.LISREL-estimation of linear structural equation systems by maximum likelihood methods. Chicago: International Education Services, 1978.
- Lacy, W. B. Interpersonal relationships as mediators of structural effects: college student socialization in a traditional and an experimental university environment.Sociology of Education 1978,51 201–211.
- Lenning, O. T., et al.Nonintellective correlates of grades, persistence and academic learning in college: the published literature through the decade of the sixties. Iowa City: American College Testing Program 1974(a).
- Lenning, O. T., et al.The many faces of college success and their nonintellective correlates: the published literature through the decade of the sixties. Iowa City: American College Testing Program, 1974(b).
- Micek, S., and Arney, W.The higher education outcome measures identification study. Boulder: National Center for Higher Education Management Systems at WICHE, 1974.
- Newcomb, T., Brown, D., Kulik, J., Reimer, D., and Revelle, W. Self-selection and change. Pp. 137–160 in J. Gaff (Ed.),The cluster college. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1970.
- Pascarella, E. T. Student-faculty informal contact and college outcomes.Review of Educational Research 1980,50 545–595.
- Pascarella, E. T., and Terenzini, P. T. Informal interaction with faculty and freshmen ratings of the academic and non-academic experience of college.Journal of Educational Research 1976,70 35–41.
- Pascarella, E. T., and Terenzini, P. T. Patterns of student-faculty informal interaction beyond the classroom and voluntary freshman attrition.Journal of Higher Education 1977,48 540–552.
- Pascarella, E. T., and Terenzini, P. T. Student-faculty informal relationships and freshman year educational outcomes.Journal of Educational Research 1978,71 183–189.
- Pascarella, E. T., and Terenzini, P. T. Interaction effects in Spady's and Tinto's conceptual models of college dropout.Sociology of Education 1979,52 197–210.
- Pace, C. R.Higher Education measurement and evaluation KIT. Los Angeles: Center for Study and Evaluation, Graduate School of Education, University of California, 1971.
- Pace, C. R.Measuring outcomes of college: fifty years of findings and recommendations for the future. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1979.
- Rossman, J. An experimental study of faculty advising.Personnel and Guidance Journal 1967,46 160–164.
- Sanford, N.Where colleges fail. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1967.
- Snow, S. G. Correlates of faculty-student interaction.Sociology of Education 1973,46 489–498.
- Spady, W. Dropouts from higher education: an interdisciplinary review and synthesis.Interchange 1970,1 64–85.
- Spady, W. Dropouts from higher education: toward an empirical model.Interchange 1971,2 38–62.
- Taylor, H.How to change colleges: notes on radical reform. New York: Holt, Rinehart, and Winston, 1971.
- Terenzini, P., and Pascarella, E. Voluntary freshman attrition and patterns of social and academic integration in a university: a test of a conceptual model.Research in Higher Education 1977,6 25–44.
- Terenzini, P., and Pascarella, E. The relation of students' precollege characteristics and freshman year experience to voluntary attrition.Research in Higher Education 1978,9 347–366.
- Terenzini, P., and Pascarella, E. Student/faculty relationships and freshman year educational outcomes: a further investigation.Journal of College Student Personnel 1980,27 521–528.
- Thistlethwaite, D. L. College press and changes in study plans of talented students.Journal of Educational Psychology 1960,51 222–234.
- Thistlethwaite, D. L. Fields of study and development of motivation to seek advanced training.Journal of Educational Psychology 1962,53 53–64.
- Tinto, V. Dropout from higher education: a theoretical synthesis of recent research.Review of Educational Research 1975,45 89–125.
- Weidman, J. Nonintellective undergraduate socialization in academic departments.Journal of Higher Education 1979,50 48–62.
- Wilson, R. C., Gaff, J. G., Dienst, E. R., Wood, L., and Bavry, J. L.College professors and their impact on students. New York: Wiley, 1975.
- The effect of student-faculty interaction on students' educational outcomes
Research in Higher Education
Volume 16, Issue 2 , pp 115-138
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links