Effects of morphine andd-Ala2-d-Leu5-enkephalin in the seizure-susceptible El mouse
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Opioid agonists were used to investigate the modulation of seizures in the seizure-susceptible El mouse. Morphine andd-Ala2-d-Leu5-enkephalin (DADLE) were injected subcutaneously or intracisternally as prototypic agonists for μ and δ opioid receptors. Systemic or intracisternal injection of both morphine and DADLE decreased the incidence of seizures and the seizure score in El mice in a dose-dependent manner. The anticonvulsant effects of morphine and DADLE were reversed by naloxone (2 mg/kg, s.c.). This implies that opioid agonists have anticonvulsant properties which are mediated by μ and δ opioid receptors. In conclusion, a deficit in endogenous opioid peptides, which act as anticonvulsants may play a significant role in the etiology or pathophysiology of seizures in the El mouse.
- Frederickson, R. C. A., and Chipkin, R. E. 1988. Endogenous opioids and pain: Status of human studies and new treatment concepts. Prog. Brain Res. 77:407–417.
- Grossman, A. 1985. Opioids and stress in man. J. Endocrinol. 119:377–381.
- Reid, L. D. 1985. Endogenous opioid peptides and regulation of drinking and feeding. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 42:1099–1132.
- Urca, G., Frenk, H., Liebeskind, J. C., and Taylor, A. N. 1977. Morphine and enkephalin: Analgesic and epileptic properties. Science 197:83–86.
- Henriksen, S. J., Bloom, F. E., Ling, N., and Guillemin, R. 1977. Induction of limbic scizures by endorphins and opiate alkaloids: Electrophysiological and behavioral correlates. Soc. Neurosci. Abstr. 3:293.
- Tortella, F. C., Echevarria, E., Lipkowski, A. W., Takemori, A. E., Portoghese, P. S., and Holaday, J. W. 1989. Selective kappa antagonist properties of nor-binaltorphimine in the rat MES seizure model. Life Sci. 44:661–665.
- Tortella, F. C., Robles, L., Echevarria, E., Hunter, J. C., and Hughes, J. 1990. PD117302, a selective nonpeptide opioid kappa agonist, protects against NMDA and maximal electroshock convulsions in rats. Life Sci. 46:PL1–7.
- Tortella, F. C., Cowan, A., and Adler, M. W. 1981. Comparison of the anticonvulsant effects of opioid peptides and etorphine in rats after ICV administration. Life Sci. 10:1039–1045.
- Tortella, F. C. 1988. Endogenous opioid peptides and epilepsy: quieting the seizing brain? Trends Pharmacol. Sci. 9:366–372.
- Frenk, H. 1983. Pro-and anticonvulsant actions of morphine and the endogenous opioids: Involvement and interactions of multiple opiate and non-opiate systems. Brain Res. Rev. 6:197–210.
- Albertson, T. E., Joy, R. M., and Stark, L. G. 1984. Modification of kindled amygdaloid seizures by opiate agonists and antagonists. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 228:620–627.
- McNamara, J. O., Bonhaus, D. W., Shin, C., Crain, B. J., Gellman, R. L., and Giaccino, J. L. 1985. The kindling model of epilepsy: A critical review CRC Crit. Rev. Clin. Neurobiol. 1:341–391.
- Stone, W. S., Eggleton, C. E., and Berman, R. F. 1982. Opiate modification of amygdaloid-kindled seizures in rats. Pharmacol. Biochem. Behav. 16:751–756.
- Chen, C. S., Gates, G. R., and Reynoldson, J. A. 1976. Effect of morphine and naloxone on priming-induced audiogenic seizures in BALB/c mice. Br. J. Pharmacol. 58:517–520.
- Meldrum, B. S., Menini, Ch., Stutzmann, J. M., and Naquet, R. 1979. Effects of opiate-like peptides, morphine, and naloxone in the photosensitive baboon, papio papio. Brain Res. 170:333–348.
- Bajorek, J. G., and Lomax, P. 1982. Modulation of spontaneous seizures in the Mongolian gerbil: Effects of β-endorphin. Peptides 3:83–86.
- Lee, R. J., Bajorek, J. G., and Lomax, P. 1983. Opioid peptides and seizures in the spontaneously epileptic Mongolian gerbil. Life Sci. 33:567–570.
- Lee, R. J., Bajorek, J. G., and Lomax, P. 1984. Similar anticonvulsant, but unique behavioural effects of opioid agonists in the seizure-sensitive Mongolian gerbil. Neurophamacology. 23:517–524.
- Seyfried, T. N., and Glaser, G. H. 1985. A review of mouse mutants as genetic models of epilepsy. Epilepsia 26:143–150.
- Mori, A. 1988. El mice: Neurochemical approach to the seizure mechanism. Neurosciences 14:275–285.
- Suzuki, J. 1976. Paroxysmal discharges in the electroencephalogram of the El mouse. Experimentia 32:336–338.
- Onishi, H., Soma, T., Yamagami, S., and Kawakita, Y. 1989. Alteration of opioid receptors in seizure-susceptible El mouse brain. Neurochem. Res. 14:31–35.
- Onishi, H., Koide, S., Yamagami, S., and Kawakita, Y. 1990. Developmental and regional alteration of methionine enkephalin-like immunoreactivity in seizure-susceptible El mouse brain. Neurochem. Res. 15:83–87.
- Ueda, H., Amano, H., Shiomi, H., and Takagi, H. 1979. Comparison of the analgesic effects of various opioid peptides by a newly devised intracisternal injection technique in conscious mice. Eur. J. Pharmacol. 56:265–268.
- Dingledine, R., Iversen, L. L., and Breuker, E. 1978. Naloxone as a GABA antagonist: Evidence from iontophoretic receptor binding and convulsant studies. Eur. J. Pharmacol. 47:19–27.
- Werz, M. A., and MacDonald, R. L. 1982. Opiate alkaloids antagonize postysynaptic glycine and GABA responses: Correlation with convulsant action. Brain Res. 236:107–119.
- Banks, W. A., and Kastin, A. J. 1987. Saturable transport of peptides across the blood-brain barrier. Life Sci. 41:1319–1338.
- Banks, W. A., and Kastin, A. J. 1990. Peptide transport systems for opiates across the blood-brain barrier. Am. J. Physiol. 259:E1–10.
- Effects of morphine andd-Ala2-d-Leu5-enkephalin in the seizure-susceptible El mouse
Volume 17, Issue 8 , pp 779-783
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- El mouse
- Industry Sectors